What's new

8DIO Shepard Tones

Last edited:
Ha!
I'm like... Viasat are using a shepard tone during the static breaks between programs...!!! someone in the edit room is taking the p***...!!! 20 mins later I realise I have had this web page open in another browser tab all evening!
Heh heh .... already had that in bookmarked ... probably donate too ! :thumbsup:

WOW. I can't believe it, you were right about the clock stuff.

For me, the underlying issue is that people will buy these libraries and try to sound like Hans. It's just a copy cat game. And it only gets worse when people buy these libraries and put music out there that copies the sound because directors will ask for it more and more now after hearing more of it out there. 8Dio is only helping push the copy cat game. Yes, I can see that they are trying to capitalize on hans, but doesn't a part of them kind of cringe and hesitate, knowing they are helping push the copy game?

Yes, I've been asked to COPY hans zimmer and it is annoying as hell. I wanted to throw a book at the so called director. Why the hell are you hiring someone and asking them to do copy cat work? I understand if you have a reference and have an idea of what you want, but if you are asking to use the same exact sounds and literally copy them, you're annoying.

I'll be honest when I saw the library, I closed the page... Sorry if this is a negative rant. Just my opinion. Maybe because of my negative experience with a so called director.

I got this mostly because I liked the clock effect in Dunkirk (and I'm not a working composer so mrd777's concerns aren't that much of a concern to me). It's more than just clock ticks though. Combine the clock sounds with the inbuilt sequencer and effects and you have a pretty cool little ticky/tappy/clicky effects tool. Ideal for adding accompanying high-end rhythms to your percussion.

WOW. I can't believe it, you were right about the clock stuff.

For me, the underlying issue is that people will buy these libraries and try to sound like Hans. It's just a copy cat game. And it only gets worse when people buy these libraries and put music out there that copies the sound because directors will ask for it more and more now after hearing more of it out there. 8Dio is only helping push the copy cat game. Yes, I can see that they are trying to capitalize on hans, but doesn't a part of them kind of cringe and hesitate, knowing they are helping push the copy game?

Yes, I've been asked to COPY hans zimmer and it is annoying as hell. I wanted to throw a book at the so called director. Why the hell are you hiring someone and asking them to do copy cat work? I understand if you have a reference and have an idea of what you want, but if you are asking to use the same exact sounds and literally copy them, you're annoying.

I'll be honest when I saw the library, I closed the page... Sorry if this is a negative rant. Just my opinion. Maybe because of my negative experience with a so called director.

I understand your concerns, but composers have been adding clocks to music for many, many years. I haven't seen Dunkirk. But what most directors are looking for is a vibe, an emotion, or inspiration. The temp music is a guide. Like the rest of us, when asked to mimic an overused cue, nod politely then prepare to eventually show them how you can improve on that idea and make it unique to you. Overused cues have always been an issue since temp music was first put to fim, but few directors really want an exact duplication (ok, some do ;) ). Over time you can sway them, but don't plan on it the first few times you meet with them. Your attitude and relationship with them can give you the influence to sway them.

Back OT, new clock sounds are always great to have. This seems to be many classic sounds (older clocks) but I haven't heard a ton of newer clocks. The gui is easy to navigate (as it is in Shepard tones) and helps to come up with something quickly. Worth the price on that alone unless you have many clocks already (guilty). I'd say it's one of the few 8Dio products that has a more down to earth price, actually a deal on sale. Adding a HP filter can help to thin it out in the mix for that high freq tick without getting in the way of other percussion.

Last edited:
So maybe I'm stating the obvious here but the "Shepard tone" in Dunkirk is not a sound design effect, right? it's an orchestration effect. Every time Hans cycles through the A BC DEb FGb G#A thing (octatonic rise! ;) ) he's cycling back around to the bottom of the next layer. And actually it's not a true Shepard effect, it's more of an oblique effect as the top layer is rising and leaving "trails" of octaves below it, while the bass stays the same.

What I found most interesting about the score is the track "The Oil". No spoilers but it's the dramatic climax of the film & the moment when multiple plotlines that have been moving at different "speeds" intersect.

And if you listen closely you can hear HZ is doing the octatonic riser at "full" speed, 2x speed, and 1/2 speed simultaneously. It's more of his metric trickery just like Inception and Interstellar!

Just releasing a library and calling it "Shepard Tones" doesn't get at what's really being done compositionally in this score...

Someone created a nice transcription of this. So I wasn't the only one who noticed ;)

Source: "Dunkirk Soundtrack Is Way Cleverer Than You Think"

8DIO Shepard Tones

This is also a technique that was used a lot by 12th-16th century composers. It reminds me slightly of the idea of "isorhythm" which was also used by medieval composers, and borrowed/adapted very creatively by Don Davis for The Matrix.

It just underlines that this is a compositional idea, not a production idea. And like the Inception brams, it belongs to its film. The reason there are 3 scales (1x, 2x, 4x) is because there are three stories (a week, a day, an hour).

Last edited:
Top Bottom