What's new

8dio Intimate Studio Strings (compared to VSL Elite Strings?)

One might ask oneself why one never hears such a demo :emoji_smirk:
Probably because that doesn't seem to be the intended design of the library. I figure it's more for adding string sounds and gestures to a more fleshed-out rock/pop/indie/electronic arrangement. It seems like it's meant to be layered and processed, rather than used in an exposed solo or western classical string quartet manner.

If you want to hear it do Ravel or something, yeah it probably sounds as you might already expect, but that's a bit like running a 5K in loafers.

Working on getting a proper quartet segment. One challenge point is the arc of the vibrato. A bit of a delay, less versatile. And of course the tone, is ... Interesting. In between frustrations I get struck with the immense beauty of an octave portamento flowing seemlessly into vibrato, and wow. Probably a library best for special shorts and bits of string bliss. I'll keep plugging away.

Probably because that doesn't seem to be the intended design of the library. I figure it's more for adding string sounds and gestures to a more fleshed-out rock/pop/indie/electronic arrangement. It seems like it's meant to be layered and processed, rather than used in an exposed solo or western classical string quartet manner.

If you want to hear it do Ravel or something, yeah it probably sounds as you might already expect, but that's a bit like running a 5K in loafers.
That's exactly the kind of music I make, and I don't use them :emoji_joy: They do have the occasional good moments, but they seem to me to be more of a textural type library.

On Vienna Elite Strings, I'm seriously considering picking them up.

However, in efforts to make my due diligence I'm trying to find videos that show them used in a more modern sound production (1950ies onwards). Most videos I've found are either articulation walkthroughs, remakes in a notation program (Nutcracker etc) or other original classical sounding pieces.

I've found this ballad below and so far I'm impressed by Elite Strings. But I'd prefer to see / hear more examples. Do any of you have examples of more modern sound production with Elite Strings?

Thanks!

On Vienna Elite Strings, I'm seriously considering picking them up.

However, in efforts to make my due diligence I'm trying to find videos that show them used in a more modern sound production (1950ies onwards). Most videos I've found are either articulation walkthroughs, remakes in a notation program (Nutcracker etc) or other original classical sounding pieces.

I've found this ballad below and so far I'm impressed by Elite Strings. But I'd prefer to see / hear more examples. Do any of you have examples of more modern sound production with Elite Strings?

Thanks!

Check out the audio demos on the product page: https://www.vsl.co.at/Synchron_Series/Synchron_Elite_Strings#!Demos

There are some more classical, but also more modern styles represented, especially the "Dark Skies" demo.
And don't forget that you can return the library within 14 days if bought on our website in case you don't like it :)

Then the bigger question would be do i really need it?
The following are the Libraries i own, all Full editions:

VSL Synchron Strings Pro
VSL Elite Strings
VSL Appassionata Strings
VSL Smart Orchestra Strings
EW Opus Diamond Strings
EW Symphonic Orchestra Strings
SA BBC SO PRO Strings
SA ARO ONE Strings
Modern Scoring Strings
8Dio Century Strings 2
AI Jaeger Strings
OT MA1 Strings (Low and High)
No. Dude you're covered.
Question is if you WANT it :emoji_laughing:

Check out the audio demos on the product page: https://www.vsl.co.at/Synchron_Series/Synchron_Elite_Strings#!Demos

There are some more classical, but also more modern styles represented, especially the "Dark Skies" demo.
And don't forget that you can return the library within 14 days if bought on our website in case you don't like it :)
Thank you for the link and good to know.

You wouldn't know of any jazzy examples with Elite strings as backing?

Yes, that’s the whole idea. You test. You don’t like. You return.
Do you know if there are any limitations on activations? Not simultaneous / in parallel, but say, if I want to upgrade my main machine or move the library to a VEP server? I’m assuming they count as activations somewhere…?

Do you know if there are any limitations on activations? Not simultaneous / in parallel, but say, if I want to upgrade my main machine or move the library to a VEP server? I’m assuming they count as activations somewhere…?
Since the license is on the iLok USB key or in the Cloud you don't have to worry. Just make sure to install the iLok manager after the re-install of your system, log in and you are good to go.

Since the license is on the iLok USB key or in the Cloud you don't have to worry. Just make sure to install the iLok manager after the re-install of your system, log in and you are good to go.
That's awesome, seems very flexible.

I went scrolling on the interwebs last night, the old Youtube rabbit hole and now I think I know why :whistling:
what i did close to it was using only Logic Pro strings, testing its limits and my programming there.

BUt not released.

You question is fair. But remember: string quartet , small choir solo , trio, as solo pieces are the hardest to compose, principally virtually. These genres are "from composer to composer".

But maybe i recreate this live recording using some vst.

I also accept proposals of mockup or cleaning of my old things. I dont have time for them myself

This very old piece is one of those few of mine in which I use some precise technique of harmony i developed for the piece only, and is more or less hard to find in other music, since i used it consistetly from start to finish. Some few composers did this, but not so much, althought those are super influntial: one composer i know in this sense is Bartok, who did this in some of his Microcosmos pieces, and the fiver orchestral pieces of Schoenberg, where COlors is a famous piece about a very precise technique continuously used. MAybe you hear and try to figure out what is going on harmonically... Lutoslawsky also composed his Chains series, and Cerha the SPiegel series, mostly based on a very precise technique they developed for the piece only. Rihm composed Jagd und Formen in similar way: he never gives up of the same core principle of organization, that is proper only of this piece. This started in some sense with the piano etude genre i guess, principally Scriabin/Debussy studes, and is a very interesting research field!!!

This movement features some basic techniques for strings (leg. pizz, trem. sfz.!) , and you will see that vst´s are still a little bit far, principally regarding tremolo and all the Sfz/accent world. IN this regard i loved the body knob + tremolo of Hyperion strings: it is exactly what you need for quite any chamber music of the last century. IN my old days i programed this using only Logic Pro samples, and in some sense i achieve some results better than other libraries (but only in this bow position aspect, and bow pressure).

Last edited:
Elite does one thing (small sections) very well, to one of many things Intimate Strings does. Intimate will also do solos and duos. So do you need the best tool for small sections, or do you need a more flexible tool for going from small to solo?

For the record, I'm a VSL fan and I bought ISS.
"Now is the best time ever for music making. It always has been." - Igor Stravinsky

I think the question anyone considering purchasing this library would have is… How do you use it? What do you find it is most useful for? ISS that is…
I gonna buy precisely for polyphonic legato in chamber strings, and measured tremolo

My Hyperion strings i use apparently only for the "body" knob and some especial mixing now...

Hi! My intimate strings are taking forever to unpack. The website says i should restart etc. BUt did not fix. Should invite some intimate friend to watch it unpacking this sunday, or is really something going wrong?

the library is 40 gb

Hi! My intimate strings are taking forever to unpack. The website says i should restart etc. BUt did not fix. Should invite some intimate friend to watch it unpacking this sunday, or is really something going wrong?

the library is 40 gb
hmmm are you using the 8dio downloader or direct from the website? ... downloader never works for me anymore so I just go straight from the website in my account, instruments (down arrow to HD on right of Icon) ... or is the issue withing the rar unpacking from your HD?

Top Bottom