What's new

5.1 Mixing Setup, how to connect the subwoofer?

mrd777

Hi there,

New to 5.1 mixing. A newb question here as I'm setting up:

I have 5 Adam A7x monitors, and an Adam Sub 10 MK2 subwoofer which is being shipped, on the way to me now.

I'm on Cubase and the LFE routes to one speaker. Of course, I'm to pick the subwoofer.​

However, on the back of the subwoofer, there is a left and right input.

How do I wire from my interface (MOTU 8A) a single connection to the sub? Do I just pick the left channel and then it will output mono? Or do I buy a Y cable so a single connection from the interface goes into a cable which plugs into the L and R of the subwoofer input?

I have attached the images of the back of my interface, and the back of my subwoofer.

Thanks!
Mister D.

Attachments

• 5.1 Mixing Setup, how to connect the subwoofer?
    b.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 5.1 Mixing Setup, how to connect the subwoofer?
    a.png
    128 KB · Views: 16
I’m also interested in this as I have the rear speakers already I just don’t have an interface that can output that many speakers yet, once I get the 18i20 this will be very useful information

You should be perfectly clear of the fact that the LFE (the ".1") in a 5.1 setup is _not_ meant to be seen as a managed bass-extension to your speakers. It's a dedicated effect channel for high-impact, low frequency sounds, like it's used in cinemas. It's hardly used for anything important in music mixes, though.

IOW: If you need an LFE, just feed the sub from its dedicated D/A-output (... usually channel #4). If you need a bass extension, follow the setup instructions that most likely come with the product.

you need to have a strategy, how u wanna achieve the perfect 5.1 sound.
The subowwfer is for signals below 80Hz ( use high slope lowpass, at least 24dB), BUT u need to get rid of the lows on all other 5 channels, esp the center.
So Highpass these with 100 Hz and 24dB (preferable Linkwitz-Riley Filters).
Having 2 or 4 subwoofers distributed in the room would be a clever solution for perfect Bass sound with less Room modes, but the usual Home Cinema Owner has very weak speakers and not 4 woofers.
They usually reroute the sub to their older and huger Stereo speakers (usually the floorstanders left and right of their TV screen).
This is what i mean with strategy, who would be the recipient of your music? Adapt to their room and equipment.
The Left and Right input in your sub is for summing the lows of a Stereo signal. Its the way to use them in a NOT 5.1 environment. From a Stereo mixer out go to the left and right input, and add the 2 Satellite speakers to the Left and Right output, they are then highpassed(switch). Use the lowpass filter and go to abt 60Hz. use the phase switch, depending on the place u listen and where the sub stands it can be better to change the phase, just use pink noise to check . Its easy to hear, in case it cancels out upper bass at 80 Hz.

Sorry guys> Should have mentioned I'm going to help mix a film. Not to create music. My bad!

I think I need to post the question in another forum.

Sorry guys> Should have mentioned I'm going to help mix a film. Not to create music. My bad!

I think I need to post the question in another forum.
I have a similar setup with Neumann, although their sub has a few more useful options for this scenario. No big deal though, just plug one cable into the L input and calibrate accordingly. It shouldn't make a difference compared to inputting both, it would have to be mixed down to mono either way.

If you hear a lot of extra noise/hiss coming out of the sub after calibrating maybe it's worth trying a split cable, but I don't think you need to start there.

I have a similar setup with Neumann, although their sub has a few more useful options for this scenario. No big deal though, just plug one cable into the L input and calibrate accordingly. It shouldn't make a difference compared to inputting both, it would have to be mixed down to mono either way.

If you hear a lot of extra noise/hiss coming out of the sub after calibrating maybe it's worth trying a split cable, but I don't think you need to start there.
Thanks! I just got word back from a sales rep in the music store. They contacted Adam audio and were told that you can just plug in to the Left input and you should get mono. Ie, no need to Y split cables.

The sub is not being used as a "bass manager" as I've read some home 5.1 setups do. It's definitely an low extension and useful for LFE

The lack of small room bass management from speaker manufacturers is a bit annoying, what with work-from-home and the general move towards smaller studios. Ah well, you can create your own software crossovers for monitoring in most DAWs, I just wish I could also get my OS audio to be bass managed.

Top Bottom