What's new

Will Kontakt 7 install on Windows 7, or will it be Windows 10 and 11 only?

erica-grace

Curious here. Kontakt6 installs and runs on Windows 7 just fine. I heard somewhere that major changes are in the works for Kontakt 7. Not sure if this is true or not, but in any event - what do you think? Will it install and run on Windows 7?

The latest version of Kontakt, 6.7 I think, does not install on Win 7. I think 6.6 is the last version for Win 7.

I believe there's a trick to install 6.7 on a Win 10 machine and simply move the executable to the Win 7 machine, but I haven't tried this.

Oh, yuck. Will have to give that a shot soon.

Thanks for the info :)
BTW, I'm still running Win 7 myself, and I just tried this. Installing on Win 10 then moving the files to Win 7 does indeed work!

After installing Kontakt on Win 10, here's what needs to be moved from the Win 10 machine to the Win 7 machine:
- The Kontakt.dll file (this is the Kontakt VST plugin)
- The Kontakt.exe file (this is the standalone version of Kontakt found in C:\Program Files\Native Instruments)
- The contents of this folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt\

I would make a backup of the above files & folders on your Win 7 machine before moving over the new Win 10 files. Good luck!

EDIT: I should clarify, I'm talking about Kontakt 6.7.1 here, which will not install on Win 7, and according to the specs, requires Win 10.

Last edited:
Since W7 support was removed with K6.7, it won't be there in K7 either.

In theory you could move all the files over from a W10 install, but you would need to know all folders that get installed. Plus you would need to also copy over some registry keys... It does get tedious. And you'd need to copy files over with every update etc...

In theory you could move all the files over from a W10 install, but you would need to know all folders that get installed. Plus you would need to also copy over some registry keys... It does get tedious. And you'd need to copy files over with every update etc...

Easier than building a new machine! :)

Curious here. Kontakt6 installs and runs on Windows 7 just fine. I heard somewhere that major changes are in the works for Kontakt 7. Not sure if this is true or not, but in any event - what do you think? Will it install and run on Windows 7?
Please tell us where somewhere is or many of us will be left in perpetual agony being unable to find it haha. If there's talk of Kontakt 7 that's pretty big news.

any reason not to go to win10? is it a justified reason? (proven issue that windows 10 has)
Or is it things along the line of: "fear" "uncertainty" and "don't want to bothered with reinstallments" reasons?
there might be reaons, but i just wonder what they are really... Pros vs Cons
Being old hardware seems not a reason: kontakt is quite heavy on system resources when using libraries.

I mean windows 10 is already multiple years old (available since jul 2015), windows 7 is already EOL for two years (jan 2020). Even windows 10 is about to go EOL in a few years from now.. (oct 2025)
And we all know.. time flies harder than you think..

Last edited:
any reason not to go to win10? is it a justified reason? (proven issue that windows 10 has)
Or is it things along the line of: "fear" "uncertainty" and "don't want to bothered with reinstallments" reasons?
there might be reaons, but i just wonder what they are really... Pros vs Cons
Being old hardware seems not a reason: kontakt is quite heavy on system resources when using libraries.

I mean windows 10 is already multiple years old (available since jul 2015), windows 7 is already EOL for two years (jan 2020). Even windows 10 is about to go EOL in a few years from now.. (oct 2025)
And we all know.. time flies harder than you think..
I too tend to adopt OS changes quite late for some reason, I think for me is mostly a mix of waiting for new platform stability and laziness to move everything over.. :emoji_sweat_smile:

I've had a win10 PC for about 4 months and recently switched to using it fulltime. Since I don't believe in the "rite of reinstall" that many seem to be performing with their windows every one or two years, my old Windows 7 install was almost 10 years old. In the 4 Months of using Win10 I probably had more issues than in several years of using Win7. I believe in "never touch a running system" and with its mandatory auto update bullshit Win10 just isn't as well suited for that. There is a small hand full of things that are better on 10, but if it wasn't for an increasing number of things no longer working on win7, I never would have switched voluntarily. I totally understand anyone who clings on to win 7 till the last possible minute. When I went through all the customization settings regarding data privacy and what not, I felt physically ill reading what the windows 10 defaults are allowing microsoft to do. I think it's absolutely insane that people don't object more vocally. I'm not able to give any exhaustive details, do your own research if you want to know more. In the end we don't really have a choice anyway and it's yet another way in which we are slave to things outside of our control. Really makes me sick where everything is headed and how complacent all the consumer sheep are letting it happen.

Why is anyone running w...
At the moment making all my windows-only stuff running under linux still is too daunting to me, but who knows what the future will bring. Maybe windows will get so bad that I feel forced to explore that option for my own sanity.

Last edited:
I've had a win10 PC for about 4 months and recently switched to using it fulltime. Since I don't believe in the "rite of reinstall" that many seem to be performing with their windows every one or two years, my old Windows 7 install was almost 10 years old. In the 4 Months of using Win10 I probably had more issues than in several years of using Win7. I believe in "never touch a running system" and with its mandatory auto update bullshit Win10 just isn't as well suited for that. There is a small hand full of things that are better on 10, but if it wasn't for an increasing number of things no longer working on win10, I never would have switched voluntarily. I totally understand anyone who clings on to win 7 till the last possible minute. When I went through all the customization settings regarding data privacy and what not, I felt physically ill reading what the windows 10 defaults are allowing microsoft to do. I think it's absolutely insane that people don't object more vocally. I'm not able to give any exhaustive details, do your own research if you want to know more. In the end we don't really have a choice anyway and it's yet another way in which we are slave to things outside of our control. Really makes me sick where everything is headed and how complacent all the consumer sheep are letting it happen.
I get that, the privacy things are indeed an issue.
As for stability.. i have the opposite experiences: windows 10 a more smooth experience vs windows 7. The latter had often blue screens, weird unexpected errors etc.. not with windows 10. Sure, i waited some months before the upgrade, to have the first issues reported to be ironed out with updates.

However...if you keep staying on a not supported platform, iit means developers will also stop (or already have stopped) supporting it too (sooner or later). Which means tinkering to get it going, and if things break, you cannot call for support. so in technological sense you get behind further and further. This is especially the case if you are frequently buying new software etc.. (or update third party software frequently)
E.g. Kontakt 6.7 is already more harder to install on windows 7, than windows 10.. since windows 10 is supported.

Also (if the machine is online), staying on an unsupported OS, is a higher security risk, because the OS isn't updated anymore.

I would be very much pro cross platform the broad sense.. : Windows, linux distro's, macos and at times even free/open/netBSD for desktops. So you have the freedom to use whichever OS you prefer.
Don't like current windows? go to the alternatives.

Last edited:
You can run a powershell script and disable all the guff and tracking in windows 10 and windows 11….in seconds….

Make sure you have a local account and get on with it….

Complaining about windows 10 while using wimdows 7 is laughable…..esp3cially if said windows 7 machine is online….

This forum is riddled with Windows users who make dramatic claims about stability etc….when in fact the issues are mostly down to the user….

You can run a powershell script and disable all the guff and tracking in windows 10 and windows 11….in seconds….

Make sure you have a local account and get on with it….

Complaining about windows 10 while using wimdows 7 is laughable…..esp3cially if said windows 7 machine is online….

This forum is riddled with Windows users who make dramatic claims about stability etc….when in fact the issues are mostly down to the user….
exactly :) that's why i am asking: why still running windows 7 :)

Top Bottom