What's new

Vendors don't let you morph their samples into other sounds (to create another commercial sample library) do they?

ManicMiner

in the Skylab landing bay
Let's say I have a Piano library, for example, Noire from NI.

I have some granular delays and reverbs that would transform that piano sound into a pad that is very different from its original state.
Then I make a Kontakt library "piano pads" and sell it.
I am guessing this is not allowed in the license for the original sample library is it?

I sense a lot of people do this, but I want to be integral. Are there any vendors that actually might allow this?
I imaging the only way of doing this would be to use Creative Commons Zero samples. If so, anyone know of a good repository?

This sort of use is typically prohibited by the EULA for sample libraries. In the case of Native Instruments, they state this:

"The usage of this Product (in particular samples, instruments and presets) for the creation of a sound library or as a sound library for any kind of synthesizer, virtual instrument, sample library, sample-based product or other musical instrument is strictly prohibited. "

Yeah - almost all EULAs do not allow you to take the samples from a library and create a new library. Even if you transform the samples into your own sounds, and even if you combine them with other sounds.

Generally prohibited yea. Just an idea... maybe you can get a deal with some labels to split a certain part of your income with them if they let you use their samples. Although maybe they also only bother to do that with big developers who will bring in a bunch of money.

"almost all EULAs do not allow you to take the samples from a library and create a new library."

This is true, primarily because that is the basis and business model on which they are sold, and from which the EULA is created. But it may be worth approaching a developer to enquire if a developer license to make derivative products is possible/negotiable. People have contacted me a few times asking exactly this - in my case I do not offer it as I have my own plans for such things, but maybe you can find a developer who might. The terms of such a license would be up to the IP owner.

Top Bottom