What's new

The sound of Hildur Gudnadottir

NameOfBand

Hi forum,

I'm looking for sample libraries that will help me get a sound similar to Hildur Gudnadottir (Arrival, Chernobyl, Joker), and especially that of the Joker film. I'm thinking dark sounds, a heavy reliance on strings, maybe some drones, dark deep drums etc. What do you guys think? I'd be really happy for all the help I can get!

//NoB

So you can't go outside and record stuff? Traffic? Weather? Anything?
I don't have any good recording equipment, and I would not be able to do anything good with the samples I think. I'd rather get a premade product. It would also save me time, which I don't have in abundance. This is just a small hobby project that's coming up.

I don't have any good recording equipment, and I would not be able to do anything good with the samples I think. I'd rather get a premade product. It would also save me time, which I don't have in abundance. This is just a small hobby project that's coming up.

Fair enough.

Audio Imeperia's Mystic has fun "ambient cello" samples. They're not going to get you close to Hildur's performances as a cellist of course. But they are quite beautiful.

The new Westwood violin isn't the same kind of sound designy ambient instrument at all, but it has a feel that sort of might sit in that kind of space (and is very beautiful in its own right).

Last edited:

It really doesn't have to be good if you're going to stretch into oblivion as a pad or something. But I get what you're saying, pre-made is faster. I think Ruben Cornells youtube channel (Sampblecast) has all the free stuff for Christmas this year. Maybe they're some pads out there. I like the Arrival and Chernobyl soundtracks and have not heard the Joker Soundtrack yet. I think there is a Chernobly piano out there. It was reviewed on Don Bondins channel (sample library review)

I'm looking for sample libraries that will help me get a sound similar to Hildur Gudnadottir ... especially that of the Joker film.

My advice would be to take a (sampled) solo cello and work a with effects, specially with stompbox-like effects. (Which means using effects that aren't necessarily hi-end, but have lots of color).

Reactions: ism
Oh, I just play it on with a bow. I combine the signal from the pick-ups with a microfone to get the stringy sound, works surprisingly well.

Sample it at 96k, stretch/mangle and toss it into Kontakt. You’ll get way more interesting results playing a real instrument and the playing, sampling and “re-performing” it than just buying someone else’s snippets of audio.

Top Bottom