What's new

That one sound/patch that you shamelessly use over and over..

Alex Fraser

Requires ☕️
First up, a history lesson you didn't ask for.
This is the ES1 synth included in Logic, resplendent in its vintage lime green glory:

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 15.45.25.png

It was released around 20 years ago(!) but is still a part of new Logic installations. Included is a patch called "deep bass" (see above) which I have used on literally hundreds of tracks. It's not a fancy sound. It's just an easy, solid bass that fits everywhere.

(I've been sent emails in the past asking where I "got that phat bass from.")

What's your goto sound, patch or sample? The one you use all the time with a sense of guilt - yet you can't help yourself. Confess your secret at the V.I Control Altar of Shame for our collective judgment.

Sometimes you're just in a rush and you know you've used the sound way, way too many times but it's perfect for this spot and you don't want to take the time to dig for anything else and so you say "ok I'm going to use it just this ONE last time and then next time I will find something different for sure...." Sound familiar?

"Anvil Chimes" is one for me, stock Omni patch. Shit, it's actually from Atmosphere. I've been over-using it for that long.

Doesn't in theory "over"using the same kinds of patches that you know very well make your music better because you can spend more of your "time budget" on composing and mixing than flipping through different synth presets etc.? Realistically, who except you ever hears all your music to even notice that you overuse the same dozen or so patches? Do you feel as guilty when using the same Piano library compared to synth patches?
I don't do this professionally, so I might just be asking naive questions here. Please enlighten me.

About two decades ago I made a stack sound of high tremolo strings, random single harp and piano notes (different octaves) and triangle tremolo. Works in a single octave only. Its an instant flurry sunrise athmo and I use it over and over again.

There's a scrape type of effect in True Strike 2 that I overuse, but it just works so well, and is barely recognizable when layered with other elements.

Doesn't in theory "over"using the same kinds of patches that you know very well make your music better because you can spend more of your "time budget" on composing and mixing than flipping through different synth presets etc.? Realistically, who except you ever hears all your music to even notice that you overuse the same dozen or so patches? Do you feel as guilty when using the same Piano library compared to synth patches?
I don't do this professionally, so I might just be asking naive questions here. Please enlighten me.
Well, the language of my OP is deliberately exaggerated for “comic” effect but it’s a good question.

I think when you start working under time restraints or for some sort of “delivery”, one gets into the habit of using familiar sounds. FWIW, I know that my heart sinks at the prospect of browsing for a new sound when working under pressure.

Last edited:
I often use libraries like shreddage and Superior drummer with the same amps and settings. Now if I could just find some amp settings I'm really happy with...

Top Bottom