What's new

Symphobia 1 vs Orchestral Essentials 1 & 2

Hanu_H

Hey guys.

Thinking about buying my first Project Sam library. What do you guys recommend? Symphobia 1 or the Orchestral Essentials pack? Any pros and cons between the libraries? Anything essential missing in OE?

I would go for the Essentials. Symphobia doesn't have orchestral or any kind of perc if I remember correctly.

I would go for the Essentials. Symphobia doesn't have orchestral or any kind of perc if I remember correctly.
I already have quite a lot of libraries. Looking for new colors, interesting combinations and nice playable multies.

I think Lumina might be a better fit for you.
Have to listen some walkthrough videos on that one as well. But at the moment I would like your opinions between the 2 options. Other library I was thinking, is the Orchestra Complete by Sonuscore. But I have to do some more research on all of the libraries mentioned.

Have to listen some walkthrough videos on that one as well. But at the moment I would like your opinions between the 2 options. Other library I was thinking, is the Orchestra Complete by Sonuscore. But I have to do some more research on all of the libraries mentioned.
Check out Guy Rowland's walkthroughs of each. They're the most imforative and he goes through all the patches in Symphobia 1,2,3 and the orchestral essentials 1 and 2. Jrr shop is your best price at the moment unless you buy second hand.

I have all three of the ProjectSAM libraries you asked about and it's really a question of whether you want breadth of depth. Essentials 1&2 covers a lot of ground and includes elements from all the Symphobias; full orchestral patches, soloists, percussion, effects, some legato sections and more. But it doesn't have a lot of different articulations for a given section, like you can find in Symphobia 1. That library covers less ground, but what it does cover it does with more depth. All three also have great multi's but I find I actually don't use those much. I love the sound of all three libraries but which is best for you depends on what you are after. If you are after "new sounds" and instrument combinations to broaden what you have, the Essentials is probably the better choice.

I already have quite a lot of libraries. Looking for new colors, interesting combinations and nice playable multies.
Well, even if that's the case, Essentials have more interesting multis than symphobia 1 and some 'weird' instruments like Horresque in OE1 which is a totally detuned piano-I love it. As Mike said, OE1&2 are a best of symphobias. If you still thinking symphobia but you have the basics, then you should check symphobia 2 or lumina. Lumina has no traditional multi folder, they all fall under the Stories category. All great stuff. I think they're the only dev thinking in terms of orchestration providing truly inspirational multis. Devs should totally look into this direction if they are to bring something new to the table.

Yes Guy's videos showcase the OE 1/2 multis in a fun and engaging way. If you are looking for easy to use colours the multis in Orchestral Essentials libraries are great. I used them as starting points for getting inspiration in a single patch. They also aren't too resource heavy. Symphobia is a bigger, deeper, more detailed library (ie. more dynamic layers/round robins etc) - but it isn't going to cover as much ground in terms of instrument variety. If you are looking to add some orchestral background motion colouring, the animation patches from The Orchestra Complete 2 are also a lot of fun to play with.

Are the essentials made up of just content from the other Project Sam libs, or are there patches in them that are unique?

Are the essentials made up of just content from the other Project Sam libs, or are there patches in them that are unique?
If I remember correctly the samples are the same but since they have content from 1,2 and a little lumina, there are custom multis for the essentials.

If you are planning to get all 3 Symphobia's by time, I would always go with the main product.
For a best of, Essentials seems to be the deal.
But if you expand later to Symphobias, you will have a lot of double content.
Symphobia 1 is still a very good library.
It's still every penny worth it.

If you are planning to get all 3 Symphobia's by time, I would always go with the main product.
For a best of, Essentials seems to be the deal.
But if you expand later to Symphobias, you will have a lot of double content.
Symphobia 1 is still a very good library.
It's still every penny worth it.
And Project Sam allows resale. So if you get the the Symphobias later on, you can always recoup some of the cost for OE by selling them with a $30 transfer fee each.

I started with OE1, and when OE2 was released I picked it up pretty quickly. Between the two they do cover a LOT of sonic territory.

Eventually I grew a little frustrated with the limitations, and over the next year or so I added all three Symphobia libraries, with the intent of selling the OE versions. Much to my surprise I still find use for OE 1&2, so i haven't let them go yet.

To my ears there really is some magic to the overall tone of the PS libraries. In your shoes I'd probably start with OE1 and see where it takes you.

Thanks everyone. Like I said before, I already have a lot of libraries. I have templates with libraries from AudioBro, CineSamples, VSL, Orchestral Tools, 8Dio, Musical Sampling, EW, Sample Modelling, Embertone, Performance Samples, Impact Soundworks, Strezov Sampling, Sonokinetic, etc. I remember when Symphobia came out and the demos sounded just amazing. I am not after a library that needs to do it all. I just want a nice sound and easily playable patches, that inspire you to write stuff.

I think I will go to the on sale section and see if someone would like to sell his copy of OE 1.

Top Bottom