What's new

Staffpad Update Notification Thread

...auto-recognize feature ONLY recognizes the StaffPad Stock piano track...
Do you mean to say that it will only recognize an acoustic piano played into StaffPad piano grand staff? Or could it recognize, say, the notes of a classical guitar, and just apply them to the piano staff as if they were piano notes?
Thanks

Do you mean to say that it will only recognize an acoustic piano played into StaffPad piano grand staff? Or could it recognize, say, the notes of a classical guitar, and just apply them to the piano staff as if they were piano notes?
Thanks
Ok so your post and @muratkayi 's post below had me do more exploring with auto-capture.
That still might mean you could play the guitar to have it be transcribed onto the piano staff
Surface Pro 6 with 8 gigs of ram
1. At first I thought it only meant the grand piano staff as demonstrated BUT I tried an electric guitar and Berlin Flute 1 and it worked!
2. When I played a scale of eighth notes on my acoustic piano; it didn't work on ANY instrument. IT would get and beam one section but stop working and not record others. Not a crash but wouldn't translate the scale Could be the hardware specifications of my Tablet.
3. I had started writing a piano piece with slow chords prior to the upgrade. The piece has chords with 7ths and 9ths spread across both hands; the auto-capture feature DID recognize the chords including my mistakes.
4. I only have an upright piano to test as I'm away from my writing room this season. I do have access to my wife's cello and my daughter's harp. But at this moment, I cannot test how other instruments can work with auto-capture input.

So far, and I have to see someone test things on an IPad or more powerful PC machine, it seems this feature is for noodling and exploring as you're writing. But playing 'runs' into the software, isn't it. I also am currently unable to try MIDI or Bluetooth.

Still this is a handy feature. I got Staffpad to realize orchestration so this is a feature I may use in my conceptualization process. I don't need for my goals but happy the feature is there.

I opened Windows store on my Surface, showed an update for Staffpad. Did the update and is still showing the old version it was on prior to updating. Wonder if update got pulled back.

I opened Windows store on my Surface, showed an update for Staffpad. Did the update and is still showing the old version it was on prior to updating. Wonder if update got pulled back.
Sounds like your wave function collapsed the wrong way. Did you try unplugging reality for a few minutes and opening the app again?

I may have to get an iPad Pro. This looks really good. I suspect integration between StaffPad and Musescore will increase over the years as well, which will be interesting to watch.

The Berlin series for StaffPad seems to be the best. But MuseSounds is decent.

I may have to get an iPad Pro. This looks really good. I suspect integration between StaffPad and Musescore will increase over the years as well, which will be interesting to watch.

I like all the sample developers for Staffpad, though they may not compare as well to their desktop companions. There's going to be a compromise when you have files of such a low size.

I agree about Berlin. It's usually my go-to. Then Spitfire Chamber Strings.

Berlin is my go-to for everything except piano. It meets 90% of my needs. Other essential add-ons are Cinebrass, CinePerc, CinePiano, Tina Guo. SCS is quite good, and I love SSS for the flautandos. I seldom use any other libraries for pure orchestral stuff.

Berlin is my go-to for everything except piano. It meets 90% of my needs. Other essential add-ons are Cinebrass, CinePerc, CinePiano, Tina Guo. SCS is quite good, and I love SSS for the flautandos. I seldom use any other libraries for pure orchestral stuff.
Yeah I agree with you. Just like thier descktop equivalents; there's a little something in all of them. If you want certian artiulcations, it may be programmed into

I was just looking at the Staffpad tutorials on YouTube and noticed a midi capture video got added 3 days ago. It's unlisted, but shows up in the tutorials playlist...

So the update surely must be close if that's been added.

I also noticed another tutorial added 3 months ago (which is also unlisted) about creating vocals with harmonise - where David converts an audio piano track to notation,which looks very cool. (And the harmonise effect sounds awesome as well)

I'm so excited to get this update.

From the video:

"Midi Capture's main function is to transcribe melodies and individual musical lines into your score. It is not designed for transcribing complex piano performances."

This was the limitation that I suspected and feared from the moment that this feature was announced. Everything that I have seen demoed involves simple quarter and eighth notes. For any type of complex writing, I imagine we'll still be trying to enter the notation with the pencil.

From the video:

"Midi Capture's main function is to transcribe melodies and individual musical lines into your score. It is not designed for transcribing complex piano performances."

This was the limitation that I suspected and feared from the moment that this feature was announced. Everything that I have seen demoed involves simple quarter and eighth notes. For any type of complex writing, I imagine we'll still be trying to enter the notation with the pencil.
The computer processing needed to transcribe a basic melody is a lot simpler than what is required to transcribe a complex performance (instrument detection algorithms, separation of parts, etc.)

The computer processing needed to transcribe a basic melody is a lot simpler than what is required to transcribe a complex performance (instrument detection algorithms, separation of parts, etc.)
Yes, I’m sure this is true. However, one would hope that the more powerful the processor, the more detailed the transcription. But I suspect that it won’t be an open-ended process that allows for this.

Yes, I’m sure this is true. However, one would hope that the more powerful the processor, the more detailed the transcription. But I suspect that it won’t be an open-ended process that allows for this.
Based on how I’ve seen Staffpad operate pretty much the same on both my M1 iPad Pro and my fifth generation iPad mini it almost seems they coded it for the lowest possible iPad spec (was disappointing considering how much the iPad Pro cost versus the mini). I imagine the processing they are doing is aimed at the lowest cost iPad they support.

Based on how I’ve seen Staffpad operate pretty much the same on both my M1 iPad Pro and my fifth generation iPad mini it almost seems they coded it for the lowest possible iPad spec (was disappointing considering how much the iPad Pro cost versus the mini). I imagine the processing they are doing is aimed at the lowest cost iPad they support.
I’m sure you are exactly right about this. There has been a backwards compatibility objective at StaffPad from the beginning. It makes owning an iPad Pro almost pointless, though I do suspect that mine will run a lot more instruments than a lesser model.

I don't know about the backwards compatibility objective - I was pretty surprised when the audio staff update came with the warning that none of the previous projects was compatible with that version and upwards... Luckily I never had to try my luck opening older projects, but as I said... A bit of a surprise

I don't know about the backwards compatibility objective - I was pretty surprised when the audio staff update came with the warning that none of the previous projects was compatible with that version and upwards... Luckily I never had to try my luck opening older projects, but as I said... A bit of a surprise
They changed the Staffpad file format with the audio update, making it incompatible with older versions of Staffpad.

Generally, older projects would open just fine in the new version but you couldn’t go back to using an older version of Staffpad once you saved in the new version.

I meant—and perhaps didn’t say it very well—that they try to be compatible with as many older tablets as possible.

Top Bottom