What's new

Spitfire Symphonic Motions: Available Now

Using a Physical Controller to move the Tightness Knob on the GUI by linking them fixes the issue. If I use the mouse to move the Tightness knob on the GUI, it will also move the Close Mic fader.

So this is a temporary workaround until Spitfire Audio fixes this via an update.

#1: No clicks or pops in latest versions of Cubase 10.5 or Logic Pro X
#2: Happens as you describe in Cubase 10.5x, but assigning a controller to Tightness does eliminate the 'problem'. The problem does not occur in Logic Pro X here.

#1: No clicks or pops in latest versions of Cubase 10.5 or Logic Pro X
#2: Happens as you describe in Cubase 10.5x, but assigning a controller to Tightness does eliminate the 'problem'. The problem does not occur in Logic Pro X here.

Thanks for the feedback.

Which audio setting do you have selected for Symph. Motions Player ? (CPU friendly Granular, Low elastique, Mid elastique, Hi elastique ) ?

What about your RAM buffer ?

Hi,

Here is an update on the clicks issue I mentioned in my earlier post.

One important detail about this issue is I'm playing along some rhythmic accenting pattern along with the pattern being triggered by the Player, at high tempo i.e. at 140, 150, 160 bpm. so it's kind of a stress test, I'm not just playing a chord and letting the Player do it's thing, then playing another chord, I'm adding a lot of rhythmic motion on the existing motion the player is creating. The Player's Audio is set to Granular CPU Friendly.

I decided to try bumping my RAM buffer from 256 to 512, and test if I still hear the clicks, and Yes, I still do. So.. I decided to go to the next level, and bump the RAM buffer to 1024 Samples. Tested again, and no more clicks are audible, I then changed the audio setting to Low-Elastique, and same thing, no clicks are audible. So, I feel it is the Symph. Motion's Player that needs to perform quite a bit of realtime math here to deal with the time-stretching of the samples in realtime. Which is choking the CPU when I add more load on it by playing along the player's rhythmic pattern at lower RAM buffer setting.

As a test, can some user of Symph. Motions try to play along with one of the patterns, at higher bpm, and kind of jam along with the rhythm being produced by playing chords, and single note patterns, accents, ..etc. to see if that stresses your system, and produces clicks in the audio. at the normal buffer you usually have your audio interface set.

Also to note that if I have the Close Mic level active, I still get the clicks, so I use one of the Mix1,2,3 options instead.

It would be great if Spitfire Audio can improve the efficiency/performance of their Audio Player for this library via a future Update.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Last edited:
Is it just me or is the GUI terribly slow to come up?

I can switch between instances of Kontakt in VEP with relatively little lag (less than a second) but it takes between 8 and 9 seconds for the GUI to appear in VEP in my template (which admittedly is large but still...)

btw, @muziksculp I too am having similar issues

Sounds great, excellent video. @christianhenson, I notice you let your channels go well into the red (see ~14m20s for example). Is this something that doesn't concern you?
As long as your master bus doesn't go red you're fine. It's digital. The only time it's a concern on a track is if you have a plugin that simulates analog behavior.

What specs of computer are people using with Motions? I'm using a quad core iMac and I have to obviously run it on CPU friendly but I'm hoping to get a 12 Core Trash Can soon so I'm hoping that will run it fine? Curious what you're all using and if you're having problems.

In his walkthrough, Christian recommends leaving it at lower quality while you work, as you won't hear much difference, and then switching to higher quality for bouncing the track.

What specs of computer are people using with Motions? I'm using a quad core iMac and I have to obviously run it on CPU friendly but I'm hoping to get a 12 Core Trash Can soon so I'm hoping that will run it fine? Curious what you're all using and if you're having problems.
I have a late 2015 quad core iMac i7 and haven’t had any issues running SM at its default setting. I haven’t yet loaded up a ton of instances but I did one short project that used four instances and everything worked as expected, no pops, clicks etc.

I have a late 2015 quad core iMac i7 and haven’t had any issues running SM at its default setting. I haven’t yet loaded up a ton of instances but I did one short project that used four instances and everything worked as expected, no pops, clicks etc.

What is your RAM buffer setting ?

What Audio setting you have SM on ?

Your DAW ?

In his walkthrough, Christian recommends leaving it at lower quality while you work, as you won't hear much difference, and then switching to higher quality for bouncing the track.

Yes, that's right, I think he recommends Granular mode, and the reason is, this is a very CPU demanding Instrument.

I run at 512. Audio setting is "default." When I'm back at my rig I can try the specific other audio settings.

I run at 512. Audio setting is "default." When I'm back at my rig I can try the specific other audio settings.

Ok. Thanks.

One more detail, are you playing chords at the same pace of the tempo you set your song, and let the player produce it's pattern ? or are you adding a lot more than just chords, i.e. playing additional accenting notes with more complex counter rhythms, basically are you triggering a lot of notes which are consuming more polyphony ? I find playing in more complex patterns, and at a fast pace can trigger the clicks.

I have an i9 2020 MBP and also run at 512 buffer, no clicks here (bear in mind I haven't used it much yet, only played a few chords)

Yeah granular is it's CPU friendly version. People are saying you can't hear a difference but I definitely can. It's a very resource hungry library but it's absolutely brilliant.

Yeah granular is it's CPU friendly version. People are saying you can't hear a difference but I definitely can. It's a very resource hungry library but it's absolutely brilliant.

Yes, there is a difference in quality, and Yes, this is a very brilliant, and useful library.

That's why I would love to see Spitfire improve the performance/efficiency of their Player, and fix the bug that I mentioned earlier on this thread.

Ok. Thanks.

One more detail, are you playing chords at the same pace of the tempo you set your song, and let the player produce it's pattern ? or are you adding a lot more than just chords, i.e. playing additional accenting notes with more complex counter rhythms, basically are you triggering a lot of notes which are consuming more polyphony ? I find playing in more complex patterns, and at a fast pace can trigger the clicks.
I’m using overlay and cutting up the chords to do that. So things like 3/8+3/8+2/8|2/8+3/8+2/8| etc. the overlay playing with the shifting meter. I mostly used 4 and 5 note chords. Fewer if I’m using more instances.

Hi,

Here is one more improvement I was able to achieve when using Symphonic Motions in Studio One Pro 5.

I usually have Studio One Pro's Dropout Protection set to (minimum) meaning it's turned OFF. That usually works great 99.% of the time with most of my plug-ins, libraries, ..etc. I decided to change it to (maximum) for this Instrument, and see if it helps, and to my surprise, Yes, it does improve performance. I can now set my buffer down from 1024 to 512 samples, without getting any clicks in the audio.

The audio Player is set to Granular CPU friendly, I also tested with using Low-Elastique mode, and it performed better, but it did produce clicks when I pushed it a bit hard playing lots of fast notes, to produce high polyphony.

Hope this helps you if you are a Studio One Pro 4 or 5 user.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Top Bottom