What's new

Setting up VEP with Logic X. Changing between projects and keeping settings.

Fitz

hey guys,

I recently set up a Slave computer to run VEP with Logic on my main master.

I’m in the process of loading everything into instances in VEP and setting up the template in Logic. I use mainly Spitfire, East West, Cinebrass and Cinematic Strings

I have two main questions:

1: if I make changes to the individual Spitfire plugins within Kontakt on VEP, how do I do this without affecting what I will do in another cue? Let’s say on Cue #1 I want to increase all the reverbs on the strings and I do it within Kontakt in VEP. How do I change something in there without screwing up the mix/balance of things that I set up in Cue #2? Do I need to save a new project on the VEP side with every cue? How does this work?

2: what’s the ideal routing setup? Right now I’m just creating multitimbral instruments in Logic and corresponding them with VEP.

Not sure this is the same in logic, but in many DAW’s when it saves each VEP plugin (the ones that connects to VE Pro) it saves all the setting associated with that VE Pro instance.

Now you can set it up to have one ve pro session for all songs, which saves considerable saving time on a big session, but then you have the problem you mentioned- each tweak would effect every session, so each VE pro instance would have to be saved for each tweaked song (and then have a starting “init” VE Pro session for new songs).

Personally I just take the time to save the DAW session with all the VE pro plugin info, so I can tweak away and the next time I open the session, VE Pro opens customized for that song.

Open ve pro empty, then open the session, it’s all set to go. Takes more time during each save (yes, a little distracting) and more time to open each song/session, but for the sake of not having to remember which ve pro instances need to be opened for which songs, I think it’s worth it.

Not sure this is the same in logic, but in many DAW’s when it saves each VEP plugin (the ones that connects to VE Pro) it saves all the setting associated with that VE Pro instance.

Now you can set it up to have one ve pro session for all songs, which saves considerable saving time on a big session, but then you have the problem you mentioned- each tweak would effect every session, so each VE pro instance would have to be saved for each tweaked song (and then have a starting “init” VE Pro session for new songs).

Personally I just take the time to save the DAW session with all the VE pro plugin info, so I can tweak away and the next time I open the session, VE Pro opens customized for that song.

Open ve pro empty, then open the session, it’s all set to go. Takes more time during each save (yes, a little distracting) and more time to open each song/session, but for the sake of not having to remember which ve pro instances need to be opened for which songs, I think it’s worth it.

That’s super helpful. Thanks. So let’s say I have my template setup up, do I need to be saving VEP too every time I close w project?

How is the best way to manage changing projects and modifying the template for different cue?

I'm following this thread but could you please give it a better title, so that people know what this is about?

I think that this is where Jay’s advice comes in about coupled/decoupled.

Work decoupled except before saving, couple, and then it should work properly to what you ask for.

Next time you open your project its coupled......so all is according to your last settings.....
so then same routine...work decoupled, except for when you want to save.

That’s super helpful. Thanks. So let’s say I have my template setup up, do I need to be saving VEP too every time I close w project?

How is the best way to manage changing projects and modifying the template for different cue?

If you are saving with the project (what is referred to as coupled) then, no you don’t need to save VE Pro, just your session. I haven’t tried working decoupled, then coupling just before a save, but I assume that is to save time saving while your working- decoupled can save the session in a few seconds, where coupled it can be 20 sec to a few minutes depending on the size of your session and how many VE Pro instances you have.

The idea being you would also save the VE Pro session only when you make changes to VE Pro while decoupled. Then when done for the day couple it agan and save once more (wait 2 minutes) and it’s all saved with the session once again.

The downside to working decoupled is if your system happens to freeze or crash and you haven’t saved the VE Pro session recently (I tweak kontakt all the time). I keep it coupled because my sessions get large and I don’t eant to lose settings in a crash, but saving time during saving would be great (going from just 20 sec to 2 or 3 is such a difference). I’ll run some tests. Thanks silence is golden, never thought of switching back and forth.

Last edited:
I think that this is where Jay’s advice comes in about coupled/decoupled.

Work decoupled except before saving, couple, and then it should work properly to what you ask for.

Next time you open your project its coupled......so all is according to your last settings.....
so then same routine...work decoupled, except for when you want to save.
I've been doing this ever since Jay mentioned this in a thread. Very useful.

Top Bottom