What's new

Saving to $GET_FOLDER_LIBRARY_DIR (and other Path Variable locations)

analoguedrums

Analogue Drums
Hi team

(firstly - sorry for the continued questions, when I feel I actually know things I'll try to help others too!)

I'm looking to save arrays based on user data. How reliable will it be to save (and re-load) arrays to/from these locations:
$GET_FOLDER_LIBRARY_DIR
$GET_FOLDER_FACTORY_DIR
$GET_FOLDER_PATCH_DIR

?

In particular this is in the context of a commercial library, where different users may have all sorts of unusual installations and computer-specific configurations.

Is it just a big "it depends" answer? Or are some paths more reliable than others? Or do they all "just work"? Or something else?

Certainly they seem to operate fine on my local install - but before I develop features that rely on save/load using these paths, I'd like to know if they are dependable. I know I can build in some fault-tolerance, but it would help at the outset to know if it can be expected to "just work" or not!

Many thanks

If you are going to be encoding your libraries for Kontakt Player, you should only use $GET_FOLDER_LIBRARY_DIR and base everything relatively off of that path. If not, use $GET_FOLDER_PATCH_DIR and base everything relatively off of that patch.

In case of Player, you will want to have a developer mode, where you would use patch dir while you're developing then switch to library dir after encoding. The difference is just in which constant you use and one /../ to go a folder level up (because your NKIs are supposed to be inside <library name>/Instruments/ folder, and multis are supposed to be inside <library name>/Multis/ folder). And then hope you don't have a deeply nested forest of NKIs in subfolders and subfolders of subfolders etc. It gets complicated then. :D

But knowing your products, you just have a couple of NKIs per product, so that's fine :)

Thanks again, useful pointers for some things I'll accomodate.

Yes keeping the NKI-to-product ratio as low as possible!

Top Bottom