What's new

Recommendations for an Affordable 49 or 61-Key MIDI Keyboard with Aftertouch

denior

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my music production setup and I need some advice on choosing a new MIDI keyboard. I've been using an Oxygen 49, which has served me well, except it lacks aftertouch. While I've managed to work around this by manually adding effects post-performance, I'd prefer a MIDI keyboard that includes integrated aftertouch for a more streamlined workflow.

Ideally, I'm looking for something simple and not pricey, with either 49 or 61 keys. The key feature for me is aftertouch. I don’t need any extra stuff (integrated screens, etc etc..), just a solid, reliable instrument that does the job well. Similar to the oxygen 49 but with after touch I guess

Does anyone have suggestions for MIDI keyboards that fit this description?!

Thanks!

Aftertouch is somewhat hard to come by, let alone in affordable solutions.
This was my impression too. I didn't want to do without aftertouch because I wanted a keyboard that would do everything I might want at any point. When looking for an acceptable affordable 88-key with aftertouch, the options seemed to come down to the Nektar LX and Nektar GXP series.

Then I reviewed how much I actually used aftertouch and decided it wasn't worth it, especially after seeing negative reviews of the LX and hearing that some pro composers just use an M-Audio Keystation 88.

I'm happier with the cheaper keyboard, manually programming the occasional aftertouch, and more money left to spend on software. Keystation even has a noticeably improved and quieter key mechanism compared to my old Axiom 49 MK2.

Nektar Impact GXP?

(GXP has aftertouch, GX does not)

But channel aftertouch is almost always crap IMO. Lots of pressure needed to activate, suddenly jumps from 0 to 127, etc. I think it would be easier to draw it in afterwards like you do now.

I have the Nektar GXP49 and I hate it.

The keybed was supposedly improved over the GX series but it feels just as bad. The velocity seems different per key and it's impossible to get max velocity even when punching the keys with all your strength. The worst part is that keys are super noisy with springy noises etc.

I only use it for sound design so I suck it up. If I was playing on it I would have replaced it already.

It does have aftertouch and expression pedal input though which is not common in keyboads at this price.

I do like that it's not very tall and it fits perfectly in the tray below my desk.

Arturia mk2's have aftertouch and all that jazz. I really love my 49's (I have one preset which makes the pads an extension of the keyboard (CC 0 CC -1) so it works as a 61. Pads are good for Keyswitches too, so you won't need extra keys just for that. It has faders, pads, extra ports for expression pedals, rugged and comes with Arturia stuff.

Top Bottom