What's new

PocketBlakus - Emotional Solo Cello Freebie (Kontakt 4.2.4+)

I'm glad you didn't read the second half of that HZ post, where he tells you to keep the samples to yourself so you have a unique sound. ;) Cool sample, thanks for sharing.

Re: pocketBlakus - Solo Cello Freebie- expressive sustains (Kontakt 4.2.3+)

Here is a quick nki with basic release samples + mod conrol:
(broken link removed)

would have tried Round Robin on the longs too, but the samples where a bit too wonky for that! ;)

This is pretty boss. You should sell it! Maybe partner with the Embertone guys, have them do the programming, you do the source samples, sell for reasonable price? I'd certainly spend $30 or whatever (which was the price of their solo trumpet). I definitely think there is room in this market for slow emotive/expressive solo cello.

Thanks for the kind words guys! Glad it's maybe turned out to be more useful than I thought it would be!

@synthetic: LOL@ the second half of HZ's post about not sharing for uniqueness. I figured that I can play all the live cello I want whenever I want anyway!

@Inductance: My recording equipment is definitely nothing fancy. Using a Rode K2 Valve mic through Mackie Onyx, recorded in - wait for it - my bedroom. haha! I encourage more people to have a go.

@Justus: I am definitely planning on doing more sessions and am happy to share them. I might have a go at releasing a more comprehensive solo cello somehow down the track too.

@Synergy: Thanks for the compliments mate, I don't think I could possibly become a composer-turned developer only. 1 - I'm not code savvy, and 2 - I love making music too much :) I will definitely have a go at making a few more little things on the side though - I rather enjoy it.

@667: Interesting idea, thanks for the suggestion.

Simon, thanks so much for sharing your updated nki with us! The mod wheel and release samples certainly make this much more flexible!! Thank you!

Nice one! Thanks Blakus!

This is awesome and thanks! If you have a violin and viola I will not have to buy Spitfire's Solo Strings! How 'bout it?

All joking aside this is cool. I have been toying around with sampling my guitar and this makes me want to do it even more.

I think it is very nice when people offer up a custom instrument they made for themselves available to others.

I'd rather add expression with the mod wheel or other controller myself.

The swell, especially near the end, makes these less useful than they would be without it.

Yeah I realise this :) It's really only a quick rough instrument with limited use, designed for very slow passages where the swell actually works semi-effectively.

using just freebies:

Embertone Intimate Cello by Blakus
Embertone Intimate Strings Lite
Embertone Jug Drum Soprano

edit: using synergy543's mod for "fast" passages

Your Soul Will Bie Free

[flash width=450 height=110 loop=false]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F60316517&show_comments=true&auto_play=false&color=ff7700[/flash]

Blakus,

You've been a breath of fresh air to this forum community! Glad to have you here.

Thanks for all your efforts.

@Gabriel - Fantastic piece! Thanks for sharing! It's really fun to see what you can do with free stuff!

@Jack Weaver - Thanks for the kind words mate, I'm really enjoying the VI community. It has definitely been a place where I have learnt so much and found much inspiration! It's really great to know that people have enjoyed my few contributions!

...It's really only a quick rough instrument with limited use, designed for very slow passages where the swell actually works semi-effectively.

Well, I adjusted the start points, and cheated by extending the range 8) , and pushed your design envelope to get a fast version out of this. o/~
Any slop, is just in my playing as I recorded this in a single pass (and overdubbed some mod wheel). The patch can play rather quickly without any sluggish delay.

Thanks again Blakus,

Greg

Last edited:

WOW! I started laughing when I heard that! I couldn't believe my soppy slow sustains could have been manipulated in that way! Fantastic work Greg, thanks so much for sharing it, it sounds great! Nice example too, I definitely couldn't play that in real life lol!

Top Bottom