What's new

Native Instruments....What do you actually use?

Picked Acoustic
Straylight
Pharlight
Session Horns Pro
Damage
The Gentleman (+ Replika Delay for that "Trailer Piano" sound)
Noire
The Grandeur

Curious to find out besides the Native Instruments synths and Kontakt what do you actually use?
I make what everybody else is making. Film, TV, Library and Trailer music. Is there any other kind of music to make?
I mainly use Kontakt (standard) for the 3rd party stuff (especially freebies). My most used drums are Sennheiser's Drummic'a (excellent) followed by Clare Solo Vocals.

FWIW Another approach is for you to look at a screenshot in any one of Daniel James videos (such as NI's Thrill ) and you'll see what he has loaded in Kontakt (lots). Though that particular link is 2017, there's recent stuff: NI Mysteria, etc,

Also noticed from Pete Calandra's videos he uses Skarabee bass and in one he explored NI's Form -- you get the idea.
Cheers, Bill

ps It is laughable I would have anything to suggest; but, today I delightfully discovered it is daylight savings time so I now have a new free hour to mess with.:dancer:

Last edited:
I make what everybody else is making. Film, TV, Library and Trailer music. Is there any other kind of music to make?
You paid for it. It would be silly not to try to use it. I have found that I sometimes am out of ideas, so I will just load up a new project and add a few VIs that I don't use and try to figure out what is possible to do with them. That's how I get into the Reaktor based instruments. They are surprisingly good and much easier to use than making your own patches from scratch in reaktor.

Ethereal Earth
25 (exploring it at least)
Massive
Absynth

I think some of Factory Library will be used too just not right now

Lots of good choices mentioned already. I’ll add Arkhis to the list.

I find that Battery 4’s sample content makes great additional source material for XLN Audio’s XO.

Also, there are some things I rarely use anymore; but I keep them for backward compatibility, like the Scarbee stuff.

Best,

Geoff

Last edited:
Currently, I'm trying to understand if Retro Machines MkII is worth installing - probably not really useful for film music though...
If you need synth sounds, Retro is definitely worth the instal. Any one patch has 8 variations to play with at the push of a button. I love it.

In my subjective view, the regular version of Komplete has always had the relatively best overall cost/benefit ratio in the Native Instruments universe.
Agree. The only reason to go for the bigger versions is if you're want specific libraries and it's cheaper to just go all the way they buy them individually.

Buying Kontakt alone is low value due to the sales that NI routinely has. You mind as well just go for Komplete, which does have some nice gems in it (and if you do synth-based production... a ton of value).

No one ever seems to talk about Kinetic Metal. If you like metallic, rthymic textures it's worth a look. Perhaps it's a bit old and was overused back in the day? I quite like it still but I'm far from a pro.

Agree. The only reason to go for the bigger versions is if you're want specific libraries and it's cheaper to just go all the way they buy them individually.

Buying Kontakt alone is low value due to the sales that NI routinely has. You mind as well just go for Komplete, which does have some nice gems in it (and if you do synth-based production... a ton of value).
I disagree completely, but this could vary depending on your needs and expectations. Yeah Komplete has a ton of stuff but it's outrageously expensive and IMO huge overkill for most people, and IMO a lot of it is "pretty good" or maybe even "good" stuff. And that's not a criticism and that could work out great for some, again depending on your needs. You don't have to have the very "best" of every conceivable VI (which is so subjective anyway and the differences are often hugely exaggerated). But buying Kontakt (esp in light of the free Factory) is far, far more cost effective.

I disagree completely, but this could vary depending on your needs and expectations. Yeah Komplete has a ton of stuff but it's outrageously expensive and IMO huge overkill for most people, and IMO a lot of it is "pretty good" or maybe even "good" stuff. And that's not a criticism and that could work out great for some, again depending on your needs. You don't have to have the very "best" of every conceivable VI (which is so subjective anyway and the differences are often hugely exaggerated). But buying Kontakt (esp in light of the free Factory) is far, far more cost effective.
Get on sale 3-4x a year. Only expensive if you don't pay attention.

Who pays full price for 75% of the software out these in 2021, really?

Noire is the love of my life

Cremona is one of my favorite quartets with some of the best shorts of any solo string library.

The picked guitarist melody instrument is nice in it's simplicity and I find to be a great compliment to my Orange Tree Samples stuff.

The Discovery series is pretty great honestly, especially if you're short on world instruments.

Both Pharlight and Straylight don't fit my music preferences as much since they're more on the synthy side of things but I'm happy I have them since they add pretty nice flavors for any cinematic underscoring I may need.

Damage is so iconic I think it speaks for itself.

Mallet Flux and Kontakt Factory library are my current go-to's for any tuned percussion and mallets.

Battery 4 has an insane amount of drum kits that are nice to have.

Replika can act as a shimmer/black hole reverb if you don't already have one of those.

And of course the massive amount of synth content you get with it that I'll likely never be able to explore completely.
Absolutely!! - but you have to have 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition to know this :grin:

2/3 of what is available in 13UCE I have not downloaded and probably will never download as it is not what I am interested in - but the value of the 1/3 that I did download is worth 10 times what I paid to get it (sales, sales, sales... and waiting for the right opportunities to move up to UCE)

Last edited:
Top Bottom