What's new

Libraries for deep impact for orchestral film score

star.keys

Hi all,

I’m working on an all-orchestral film score. I want to add some low end content to create a deep impact with modern twist to the sound but without losing the organic nature of the composition. Can anyone recommend libraries / typical approaches used in film score?

Cliché answer incoming: Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark 2 and Spitfire Audio Albion III Iceni are advertised as orchestral libraries catering to the low end. Another option could be UVI’s Subculture Orchestral.

There are a couple approaches you could use

1. Synth bass doubling the string bassline. Almost any synth bass will work for this, I like ones that are close to pure sines because they are more subtle. The score will still feel "all orchestral" but with that added cinematic dimension.

2. Extend the brass range. Contrabass tuba, Cimbasso etc (the ones in Spitfire Symphonic Brass sound great). You can even use the Kontakt pitch shift to put brass notes lower than they can play in real life.

3. Low end percussion - Spitfire's Abbey Road Foundations has some great sounding sub percussion. Also the "Easter Island" ensemble from Albion 1, or anything by Heavyocity. Heck even EWQLSO has a great sounding bass drum! Also a low hit or a "rummpppf" can become more impactful if you pair it with a metal sound higher up, either a tam tam hit perhaps, or a cymbal swell or "swoosh."

4. Low winds. The low winds in Albion III Iceni are nasssty! And if you want smooth but really LOW winds, the contrabass clarinet in Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra.

4. Low winds. The low winds in Albion III Iceni are nasssty! And if you want smooth but really LOW winds, the contrabass clarinet in Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra.
This. Low winds are often underestimated for their impact. Contrabass clarinet for smooth, contrabassoon for friction/rumble.

For percussion softer hits turned up in volume are often more impactful than loud hits where the “crack” is more prominent.

Top Bottom