What's new

Kontakt 6.8?

K7 seems to offer a lot to developers and it offers advantages to owners of KK mk 3 keyboards. It has some new navigation options that have some potential positives for non-player libraries. But it also loads slower than K6 for many libraries. The latter is why I still default to K6 when I don’t have to use K7 because the library requires it.
Thank you for letting me know. I'll stick with 6 for now.

Is there much difference between 6 and 7? I was thinking of upgrading sometime soon but have seen a lot of people sticking with 6.
For me, K7 isn't stable. It crashes on me regularly on certain libraries. The new presentation is shiny, but I prefer the old one, and each time, I need to click several presets to go back to it (not possible to have it keep it in mind). So personally, no, I don't like K7. So, on my projects, I keep on using a lot K6 (works well, but there are bugs if you want to freeze the track) and even K5 (ultra stable).

For me, K7 isn't stable. It crashes on me regularly on certain libraries. The new presentation is shiny, but I prefer the old one, and each time, I need to click several presets to go back to it (not possible to have it keep it in mind). So personally, no, I don't like K7. So, on my projects, I keep on using a lot K6 (works well, but there are bugs if you want to freeze the track) and even K5 (ultra stable).
I've seen a few comments on the new look and people prefering the older version (Older edit look?) Thank you for explaining. I'ill wait for the upgrade for now.

That means that ALL your past projects become unusable!!!
Well that's not true, the nki you used for this old project is stored inside the project file itself.

Also, you can install different Kontakt versions side by side and starting with K6, the switch to K7 is automatic if your DAW supports it.

I've seen a few comments on the new look and people prefering the older version (Older edit look?) Thank you for explaining. I'ill wait for the upgrade for now.
The new presentation looks cool and has nice ideas, but at the end, it finds its limits. Simple example: it's supposed to work with a search engine, which is cool. Problem is: some words are too frequent. For instance, I wanted to open The Orchestra 3 by Sonuscore. It proposed many orchestral libraries (and guess what, I have many of them! :P), but not the good one. The old interface was indeed not easy to use when you wanted to organize your libraries (so slow to drag libraries!!!), but once it is done, you find your stuff so easily.

You can make K7 look just like K6. But it is still less stable (I’ve also had issues with this) and it often loads much slower than K6. There are libraries even non-player libraries that require K7 though.

The new presentation looks cool and has nice ideas, but at the end, it finds its limits. Simple example: it's supposed to work with a search engine, which is cool. Problem is: some words are too frequent. For instance, I wanted to open The Orchestra 3 by Sonuscore. It proposed many orchestral libraries (and guess what, I have many of them! :P), but not the good one. The old interface was indeed not easy to use when you wanted to organize your libraries (so slow to drag libraries!!!), but once it is done, you find your stuff so easily.
You can organize K7’s tab just like K6’s.

Well that's not true, the nki you used for this old project is stored inside the project file itself.

Also, you can install different Kontakt versions side by side and starting with K6, the switch to K7 is automatic if your DAW supports it.
I have K5, K6 and K7 on my computer. The problem is that when I open an old project, it will open the respective Kontakt used. So, Kontakt 5 will open when I was using it, except that now, the samples can't be read by it anymore after upgrade of the library. So I stand my case: your project is lost. You still have your nki, but the samples can't be read.

I have K5, K6 and K7 on my computer. The problem is that when I open an old project, it will open the respective Kontakt used. So, Kontakt 5 will open when I was using it, except that now, the samples can't be read by it anymore after upgrade of the library. So I stand my case: your project is lost. You still have your nki, but the samples can't be read.
I don’t think I have this issue. At least I’ve not encountered it. But I generally keep old versions of libraries when there are major updates. (That’s one reason I currently have 28TB of SSD/NVMe capacity.)

Yes, I know. You just need 3 clicks to go back to the old version. But you need to do that EVERY time you launch a new instance of Kontakt. It doesn't remember it.
You can set it to open in the old tabs view as default.

Is there much difference between 6 and 7? I was thinking of upgrading sometime soon but have seen a lot of people sticking with 6.
In case it helps: I have K7 since the beginning. My default program to open nki's is K6. For an older stable library loading times are shorter and I do not have any advantage opening them in K7. I have a Komplete Kontrol MK1, I was considering going to a K2. Now it is clear to me: No MK2, no MK3 for me! I don't like to find libraries and presets in Komplete Kontrol, so for an old library K7 buys me very little or nothing.

Many new libs require K7 to be opened... but most of them run in K7 PLAYER.

I believe my only library that requires K7 full is the free Kompose Audio Arcturus recentely released. Which is very good by the way!

And the main reason I am glad to have K7 full is because it is associated with the new Factory Library, which is excellent, much better than the old one (that was a good default library).

The great interest of Kontakt 7 Full or Player version concerns the global purge which allows all instances to be purged at once, just like Eastwest's Opus player.
And when you have a lot of instruments activated in your template it's the best

In case it helps: I have K7 since the beginning. My default program to open nki's is K6. For an older stable library loading times are shorter and I do not have any advantage opening them in K7. I have a Komplete Kontrol MK1, I was considering going to a K2. Now it is clear to me: No MK2, no MK3 for me! I don't like to find libraries and presets in Komplete Kontrol, so for an old library K7 buys me very little or nothing.

Many new libs require K7 to be opened... but most of them run in K7 PLAYER.

I believe my only library that requires K7 full is the free Kompose Audio Arcturus recentely released. Which is very good by the way!

And the main reason I am glad to have K7 full is because it is associated with the new Factory Library, which is excellent, much better than the old one (that was a good default library).
Thank you for explaining. I shall perhaps wait for the next Komplete to come out to upgrade. I did wonder if I could use the 7 player until then. Thanks for mentioning it.

"the samples can't be read by it anymore after upgrade of the library."
What's your DAW? With Cubase it works, the project file stores every nki used in the project.

Your K5 should load the nki used for the corresponding project. I have done this countless of times for a decade and a half and can still open projects from 2008 that were using Kontakt 2 despite the fact that the library, let's say Symphobia, has been updated countless of times since then and is only compatible with Kontakt 6 or 7. When I'm opening an old project, I will see the very old Symphobia GUI from my DVDs and not Symphobia with the 2.0 GUI.

If it doesn't work on your end, it means either you're not explaining everything or you're doing something wrong but without additional informations, it's difficult to pinpoint exactly what.

But it works.

"the samples can't be read by it anymore after upgrade of the library."
What's your DAW? With Cubase it works, the project file stores every nki used in the project.

Your K5 should load the nki used for the corresponding project. I have done this countless of times for a decade and a half and can still open projects from 2008 that were using Kontakt 2 despite the fact that the library, let's say Symphobia, has been updated countless of times since then and is only compatible with Kontakt 6 or 7. When I'm opening an old project, I will see the very old Symphobia GUI from my DVDs and not Symphobia with the 2.0 GUI.

If it doesn't work on your end, it means either you're not explaining everything or you're doing something wrong but without additional informations, it's difficult to pinpoint exactly what.

But it works.
I guess I'm not explaining myself well. :P Yes, the project still opens everything correctly. BUT the samples can't be read anymore for the libraries that have been upgraded. That means that until you play the music, everything is ok. Except that Kontakt 5 can't play upgraded Symphobia, as the samples aren't accepted anymore.

Except that Kontakt 5 can't play upgraded Symphobia, as the samples aren't accepted anymore.
Kontakt 5 won't open nki files encoded for K6. But it will open the nki and play the samples from your older projects using the old nki stored in your project file. So your old projects are safe.

For the sake of it...I just did it, I opened a project file from 2010 using Symphobia and Cubase 4. Everything plays fine and trust me, my Symphobia doesn't look like this anymore.

Kontakt 6.8?

Kontakt 5 won't open nki files encoded for K6. But it will open the nki and play the samples from your older projects using the old nki stored in your project file. So your old projects are safe.

For the sake of it...I just did it, I opened a project file from 2010 using Symphobia and Cubase 4. Everything plays fine and trust me, my Symphobia doesn't look like this anymore.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 235515.png
And you played it? The samples worked?

Top Bottom