What's new

How were they able to record orchestras in the old Disney classics?

Abdulrahman

Any article or video online that goes behind the musical scores of the classic Disney animated films like Snow White, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, and Lady and the Tramp?
I'm talking about the orchestral recordings specifically and how was it done. I believe they were all written by the same film composer, Oliver Wallace.

Not sure about those, but there was an excellent video about the recording of Fantasia. The soundtrack was recorded by the Philadelphia Orchestra, so it was definitely a one-off, but the techniques used were probably similar to recordings made in LA.

At the moment I am unable to find that video, I will keep looking.

Any article or video online that goes behind the musical scores of the classic Disney animated films like Snow White, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, and Lady and the Tramp?
I'm talking about the orchestral recordings specifically and how was it done. I believe they were all written by the same film composer, Oliver Wallace.
That's a super interesting question..I don't know the answer! But those are some beautiful scores.

My friend David Raiklen knows a ton about film music history, so I turned to him for answers:

David:
Snow White was recorded at Hyperion Studios. (see pic)

From Rick at Disney:
Stage A was originally built as a scoring stage. Pinocchio was still in production when the staff moved to Burbank in 1940, so it is likely that Pinocchio may have been the first project to have been recorded on the stage. Many projects were scored there including Sleeping Beauty, Mary Poppins, and the Mickey Mouse Club.
Stage A transitioned from a Scoring Stage to a Mixing Stage in 1987.

David:
Fantasia was scored at a RKO stage at Culver Studios.
Disney continued to use other stages, and in 1958 Lqdy and the Tramp was recorded in Berlin!

Disney Hyperion Scoring Stage 02.jpg

Last edited:
This doesn't answer your question directly but does give you some insight of how many of the behind-the-scenes parts worked together:

That's a super interesting question..I don't know the answer! But those are some beautiful scores.
Not sure about those, but there was an excellent video about the recording of Fantasia. The soundtrack was recorded by the Philadelphia Orchestra, so it was definitely a one-off, but the techniques used were probably similar to recordings made in LA.

At the moment I am unable to find that video, I will keep looking.

this one?

I think the LA based pretty legendary Sunset Sound Studios was started in an old garage by an ex Disney recording engineer, with some actual seed money from Walt, who decided he did not want to have his own audio recording people anymore. Maybe read into some of that history too. This must have been later though, I’m guessing late fifties.

Later artists such as The Doors, Les Zep, Beach Boys and Vanhalen recorded there. But as stated I thínk a couple of Disney scores started it all there.

My friend David Raiklen knows a ton about film music history, so I turned to him for answers:

David:
Snow White was recorded at Hyperion Studios. (see pic)

From Rick at Disney:
Stage A was originally built as a scoring stage. Pinocchio was still in production when the staff moved to Burbank in 1940, so it is likely that Pinocchio may have been the first project to have been recorded on the stage. Many projects were scored there including Sleeping Beauty, Mary Poppins, and the Mickey Mouse Club.
Stage A transitioned from a Scoring Stage to a Mixing Stage in 1987.

David:
Fantasia was scored at a RKO stage at Culver Studios.
Disney continued to use other stages, and in 1958 Lqdy and the Tramp was recorded in Berlin!

Disney Hyperion Scoring Stage 02.jpg
Incredible! That's kind of you turning to your friend to get answers for me :)
I would be glad to read a full article written by your friend about the history of Disney recordings. It's truly fascinating to know how were they able to do it back in the days.

I don't what came to me, but I started re-watching those classics again. I can't believe how many years it's been. I purchased a bulk of Disney classics from iTunes and can't stop watching them now.

The animation, the storytelling, the voice casting, the special effects, and the music... it is absolutely Incredible! Way ahead of their time. Pure creativity!

And those are some top pro musicians to perform such difficult scores. Even the orchestration is so rich and colorful. I don't even know how the composer was able to sync his music with the picture without today's technology.

Last edited:
This doesn't answer your question directly but does give you some insight of how many of the behind-the-scenes parts worked together:
I will certainly watch that video. Thank you!

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Not the early films you're after but here's a look inside the recording session for Lilo & Stitch with Silvestri:

this one?
That's not the video I was thinking of, but it is good, and it does mention that the majority of the music was recorded at the Philadelphia Academy of Music. Wish I could have been there. If you see pictures you will see a bunch of RCA microphones, they were made across the river. Coincidence?

Top Bottom