What's new

Hip Hop sample libraries?

Thanks again!

In my OP.

Are these warez versions? Because I do not want to do that.
I don't think many of us understood what you actually wanted from your OP hence why we are asking for more details,...do you want to do something like that track of Lady Gaga you posted or like Lady gaga in general? (pop is all over the place) if both are true then i would not call that Hip Hop personally...... and as i said before only telling us "Eminem" is not enough either, since he's been doing hip hop for 30 years and hip hop has changed so much over the years.

as for the drum kits stuff and piracy...well that is a can of worms that i don't think we should talk about on this thread, since it is the past and the present of hip hop itself.
We gave you plenty of payed and free alternative even if you don't want to use reddit.

Last edited:
Yes, every drumkit from that post is fair game, all the biggest hip hop producers in the world use drums from Reddit

Fair game based on what? Seems dodgy to me, I'd be wary of using these in a commercial release.

Fair game based on what? Seems dodgy to me, I'd be wary of using these in a commercial release.

They’re literally just one shots, there are zero issues you can run into using these. Would you get sued for using Superior Drummer on a commercial release? Would you get sued for using Hans Zimmer Percussion on a commercial release? No, you wouldn’t, and this is no different

I don’t think most people on this site really understand how hip hop culture is… they’re all using torrented plugins, free drumkits from Reddit, stock presets from Omnisphere/Nexus, etc. the community is pretty tight so a lot of these things are just passed amongst everyone and no one is getting into any trouble for it

They’re literally just one shots, there are zero issues you can run into using these. Would you get sued for using Superior Drummer on a commercial release? Would you get sued for using Hans Zimmer Percussion on a commercial release? No, you wouldn’t, and this is no different
This isn't the same, because Superior Drummer and HZ Percussion are purchased and include a license allowing commercial release.

I don’t think most people on this site really understand how hip hop culture is… they’re all using torrented plugins, free drumkits from Reddit, stock presets from Omnisphere/Nexus, etc. the community is pretty tight so a lot of these things are just passed amongst everyone and no one is getting into any trouble for it
This sounds less like "these are legal to use" and more like "a lot of famous people use them illegally" to me, unless I'm misunderstanding.

this is what i was afraid of happening...please lets move on guys i know how most people in this community are gonna get triggered by this message (this is what i said in my previous comment that i didn't want o open that can of worms), but please lets remain on topic and help @erica-grace, don't start to argue about this off-topic topic.
Thanks

I don’t know what that means so probably not
Warez is a term used by software pirates to describe software & sample libraries that have been stripped of its copy-protection and made available on the Internet for free downloading - software & sample libraries that should be paid for.

Now that you know what it is, does don’t spend money on hip hop drums, they’re all free on Reddit and you’ll be getting the exact same drums that all the big hip hop producers actually use.

-mean that those free drums on reddit are warez?

Believe me I do understand hip hop culture, I've mixed and produced some fairly high profile hip hop releases, sampling is a big part of the genre but at the end of the day samples still need to be cleared.

Believe me I do understand hip hop culture, I've mixed and produced some fairly high profile hip hop releases, sampling is a big part of the sounds but at the end of the day samples still need to be cleared.

Samples do, but these are just one shots, nobody is copyrighting one shots. You know how many beats the Spinz 808 has been used on? If the creator of that 808 copyrighted it every beatmaker on the planet would be sued!! It just doesn’t happen, if it did I already would’ve been sued and so would all of my friends

Warez is a term used by software pirates to describe software & sample libraries that have been stripped of its copy-protection and made available on the Internet for free downloading - software & sample libraries that should be paid for.

Now that you know what it is, does don’t spend money on hip hop drums, they’re all free on Reddit and you’ll be getting the exact same drums that all the big hip hop producers actually use.

-mean that those free drums on reddit are warez?

Nobody knows where these sounds come from, like I said in another reply these sounds have been passed around by hip hop producers over the past couple of decades so the origins of these sounds are unknown, and nobody has gotten sued for them so

There's no such thing. They all use a variety of hardware and software drum machines (some even VIs), resampling techniques, ... it's a huge mix bag of sampling and blending techniques.

No one-stop shop I'm afraid. Sorry.

Samples do, but these are just one shots, nobody is copyrighting one shots. You know how many beats the Spinz 808 has been used on? If the creator of that 808 copyrighted it every beatmaker on the planet would be sued!! It just doesn’t happen, if it did I already would’ve been sued and so would all of my friends
It's not that nobody is copyrighting one shots. It's just that you can't legally copyright a timbre.

It's not that nobody is copyrighting one shots. It's just that you can't legally copyright a timbre.

Exactly, artists get sued all the time for not clearing samples (like my lord and savior Kanye West) but nobody is getting sued for using a one shot, that’s like getting sued for using a synth preset

Exactly, artists get sued all the time for not clearing samples (like my lord and savior Kanye West) but nobody is getting sued for using a one shot, that’s like getting sued for using a synth preset
Samples must be cleared if it contains specific melodic content done in a very particular way. If they're just a bunch of chord progressions, they don't need clearance either...because chord progressions cannot be copyrighted either.

Last edited:
Well, Roland did get various samples of certain models of their drum machines taken down claiming that PCM samples and/or the output of digital algos are copyrighted, but... use of one-shots in a track, I don't think that's ever been litigated. So, anything's almost certainly safe to use as far as drum samples, without having to check provenance and get clearance, even if, say, some snare is actually "liberated" from Superior Drummer in violation of the EULA.

But to try to ask something else... is this hip-hop for a specific rapper, hoping to sell beats to unspecified rappers, or for use in a soundtrack or some other non-rapper client? This matters in terms of whether you need to nail a specific vibe and use style-specific sounds to make that easier, or if you can just doowhutchyalike. Especially considering that compared to most of the music aims for a lot more realism, you might need to avoid that much realism. For example, round robins and dynamic layers in drums are good if you want to make it sound like you sampled a loop from some Motown record that doesn't really exist, but if you want to sound like you cut one snare hit and used it throughout the track, or want the machine-gun trap hi-hats, then you want a one-shot.

Might also want to use a different workflow, like playing in some of the drum loops from pads or a keyboard. And stock up on saturation effects, including vinyl emulation for the more old-school vibes.

Well, Roland did get various samples of certain models of their drum machines taken down claiming that PCM samples and/or the output of digital algos are copyrighted.
They're only legally allowed to do that if someone is re-selling one-shot samples that are exact copies of their PCM samples. If that's the case, then yes. In a music context, no.

Samples must be cleared if it contains specific melodic content done in a very particular way. If they're just a bunch of chord progressions, they don't need clearance either...because chord progressions cannot be copyrighted either.
Umm.

While it is true that chord progressions cannot be copyrighted, the recording of those chord progressions can be. So if you want to use a sample which does not have any melodic content, and is just a bunch of chord progressions, that must be cleared.

Top Bottom