What's new

Hip Hop sample libraries?

erica-grace

Hi

I need to make some hip hop cues. I have Heavyocity's DM, which is useful, but that's about it. What else is good? What's good for drums?

Also some sounds... I have Omnisphere, and have found a few useful sounds in there, but not many.

Looking to do stuff like Eminem, and Lady Gaga:

I am aware of Hip Hop Creator by Realitone, and after searching, found this, that might be cool:

What else should I consider getting my hands on? Are there any useful Omnisphere or Zebra soundsets?

Thanks!

What type of hip-hop? Trap, boom bap or something else? Are there gonna be lyrics or is it purely instrumentals?

I'm sure there are endless possibilities, but for me, getting a sampler (I like TAL Sampler/Drum) and some clearable tracks (Tracklib is nice) is the way.

Here:

Hip Hop is a very broad genre as it is, and you also mentioned Lady Gaga...so that broaden it even more, Eminem has been doing Hip Hop for 30 years and musically Hip Hop music has changed so much.
Having said that i agree with @AceAudioHQ Ujam has very "ready to go" hip hop drums and grooves for multiple sub-genre, Dope for Boombap (90's hip hop) Hustle and Glory for Trap ( 2015/ to somewhat present hip hop) and Kandy for modern Hip Hop/Pop (more lady gagaish) also there are tons of samples on Loopcloud and Splice and also tons of free stuff like the Cymatics packs.
As for the sounds, since they are usually more expensive than just drums (but usually still way cheaper than our usual orchestrall stuff ) i think we need more information to give advices on that front, to not make you just spend money on something that end up being useless for your cue.

Toontrack has ezdrummer 3 that comes with a tight kit and hiphop-preset, plus there is an ezx called HipHop! Quality stuff.

Soundpaint has a good selection of drum machines, and the problematically titled (yeah, I went with problematic; I'm sorry) G-Brass. Those could be very useful.

You'll probably want a good harpsichord too. I have no idea why, but I read that in an article about harpsichord samples.

See this recent thread.
This was the one I was thinking of
Thanks!

Hip Hop Creator by Realitone.
Already mentioned in my op :)

Ujam has some hiphop drums like dope 2, thenatan has some good lofi stuff
Thanks!
Toontrack has ezdrummer 3 that comes with a tight kit and hiphop-preset, plus there is an ezx called HipHop! Quality stuff.
Thanks!

For general hip hop and trap Splice is gonna be your best friend. There’s all the drums and perc you could possibly need. Bass wise Serum has some great 808’s (patches on Splice). To say what else your gonna need without knowing exactly what your trying to do is impossible.

From my research Origin sound has the best samples and loops. Whether it's Trap, Lofi Hip hop or similar, it oozes of quality.

NI also have quite a few decent expansion in various styles. Some of them are included in Komplete ultimate if you have that.

@erica-grace don’t spend money on hip hop drums, they’re all free on Reddit and you’ll be getting the exact same drums that all the big hip hop producers actually use. This is the one instance where I feel very strongly that buying sample libraries is absolutely not the way to go at all

Thanks again!

To say what else your gonna need without knowing exactly what your trying to do is impossible.
In my OP.

@erica-grace don’t spend money on hip hop drums, they’re all free on Reddit and you’ll be getting the exact same drums that all the big hip hop producers actually use. This is the one instance where I feel very strongly that buying sample libraries is absolutely not the way to go at all
Are these warez versions? Because I do not want to do that.

Drum Broker has some quality stuff.

Here:

I've seen these on Reddit. But what is the deal with them, in legal/copyright terms? Are they able to be used without any risk?

I've seen these on Reddit. But what is the deal with them, in legal/copyright terms? Are they able to be used without any risk?

Yes, every drumkit from that post is fair game, all the biggest hip hop producers in the world use drums from Reddit

Top Bottom