What's new

Halo Weapon Sound Design

Most of the time I attempted to imitate the original weapons. It's mainly experimenting with layering real world weapons with synthetic sounds and other sound design.

very cool.

i dont deal much w video games so sorry my ignorance on this stuff. but did you add the video on a timeline or is one of those video game engines that you load the sounds and it gets trigger by the game play software in real time?

In this case it's just a few video clips pulled from awesome Halo players on YouTube and arranged into a linear montage. There are very few developers that make their games or game engines available for you to dig into and see what they're doing, especially for very popular and lucrative franchises like Halo.

These sound awesome! May I ask if you're varying the sound between shots? One thing I struggle with is to get a repeating sound to sound realistic and not an annoying sample that repeats with every iteration in the picture. I tried subtle pitch shifting but it doesn't really do the trick. Thanks!

Thanks. A couple guns use the exact same sample but most are varied in some way. One thing you can try is to vary the sound of some of the layers, but keep the obvious sounds the same or extremely close.

Thanks. A couple guns use the exact same sample but most are varied in some way. One thing you can try is to vary the sound of some of the layers, but keep the obvious sounds the same or extremely close.
Ahh yes, you're totally right! Thanks for this, and looking forwards to other projects you put out.

Sounds great. Brandon, the trick is with these scences is to break it into layers. Gun cocks, real gun firing, explosions, laser power up, laser firing, debri, vocals sounds, even gun handling should be separate tracks. Then when you layer it up a vary the tracks depending on the shot, it never sounds repetitive. I know it’s difficult to put that much work into gunshots, but that’s what makes them sound good.

Another trick to speed up the process is to have a kontakt instrument setup for each category, then play each layer in rather than editing samples. Tweak the midi until it works, then lay off the sound “stems” to audio tracks. Keep in mind tempo changes will mess with your midi, so laying it off to audio tracks is a good security measure. ;)

Sounds great. Brandon, the trick is with these scences is to break it into layers. Gun cocks, real gun firing, explosions, laser power up, laser firing, debri, vocals sounds, even gun handling should be separate tracks. Then when you layer it up a vary the tracks depending on the shot, it never sounds repetitive. I know it’s difficult to put that much work into gunshots, but that’s what makes them sound good.

Another trick to speed up the process is to have a kontakt instrument setup for each category, then play each layer in rather than editing samples. Tweak the midi until it works, then lay off the sound “stems” to audio tracks. Keep in mind tempo changes will mess with your midi, so laying it off to audio tracks is a good security measure. ;)

Thanks! Yea quite new to doing sound design in the context of sound effects, but I'm definitely interested in seeing how it's done. I'll try that :)

Yeah, the Needler (gun with spikes out of the top) slows down as you you near the end of the clip. Luckily in Reaper you can use sub projects which then render into the main project, so if you slow it down in the sub project it doesn't effect the main project. I did have to do a bit of guess work though to try and match it to the video.

The pitch also rises as it slows down and kind of changes its timbre. The thing is pitching up the ballistic gun layer sounded pretty bad, so it was only done for the synthesized layers.

Top Bottom