What's new

Drama / Horror themed Orchestral VST Suggestions?

RaymondRichmond

Hello, I'm working on a soundtrack for a horror film and i'm thinking of using some dramatic, horror-themed orchestral crashes, hits, rise-and-falls similar to the sound Christopher Young used for the OST of "The Grudge 2" (Which was amazing in my personal opinion). :thumbsup:

Does anyone have any suggestions on a VST or Sound Collection that has captured these elements?

Here's an example of what i'm going for:

In this next video, example starts at 07:28:

Thanks in advance! Hoping to hear back from someone soon. ;)

Well since your examples are from Christopher Young you could take a look at 8Dio's Soul Series Christopher Young libraries. But I don't have it and I can't say anything else than it has the name attached to it. In the end I just took a quick listen to one of the demos and it might be what you are looking for, but you should check that out yourself. The libraries are also on sale at the moment

Sounds more like hybrid work to me than pure acoustic. Before listening to your example, I was going to suggest Spitfire Uist, which I use for such effects, but if I want synthy stuff, I program my own sounds on a synth, and maybe sometimes blend that with orchestral percussion and strings.

Imo
- Spitfire Uist (Aleatoric)
- Sonokinetic Espressivo (Classic film score style)
- NI Thrill (Modern FX)
- Stringaudio stuff (Great ambiences and backdrop sounds)

Mat, that is a really nice summary that covers a wide breadth of different filmic needs. I have the first three but had never heard of the fourth, so may look that one up for situations where the other three don't cover it.

As I've only had NI Thrill for a couple of months (with my K12 upgrade), I hadn't gotten around to trying it yet, and Espressivo is also fairly new to my collection and has only been tried briefly.

It's great to have all of these choices! This sort of thing used to be SO hard to accomplish in the old days, but the vendors who offer these new products have also made it possible to add one's unique signature. Uist isn't at all static, for instance, and reacts in wild ways to many different parameters.

+1 for StringAudio. You can get some very unique sounds quickly with Alchemist 2. I also have LightLESS for Omni and it’s great...they roll their own samples.

Sounds more like hybrid work to me than pure acoustic. Before listening to your example, I was going to suggest Spitfire Uist, which I use for such effects, but if I want synthy stuff, I program my own sounds on a synth, and maybe sometimes blend that with orchestral percussion and strings.
I've only listened to the first one, but that one sounds mainly like orchestral instruments. I barely hear any synths in there.

Top Bottom