What's new

Difference between Native Access & Native Access 2?

greggybud

Yes I googled.

It says "The new version of Native Access makes it quicker and easier to find your instruments and effects, with list, search and filter-by-genre functions." Also, manage Komplete Now subscription...o_O Well...not in my lifetime will it do that.

I guess I didn't get the memo? Or maybe Constantin is tired of all my jaded Kore hold-over rants about the olden days when NI was an innovative company?

I'm using Native Access 1.14.1. Until the past few months, I think it has been updating plugs. However the last few weeks I noticed I still have Kontakt 7.6.1 and not the latest which I guess is 7.10.1. Then just today I got an email saying Maschine 2.18 has been released, however my Native Access still shows 2.16.1.

So what's up? Did I miss memo? Did NI quietly drop Native Access forcing users to Native Access 2?

It seems if I only want to test my Kontakt 7 very long load times, including Battery 4, I have to download Native Access 2 in order to update? I'm fearful downloading NA2 based on user complaints as they say its far from quick.

So I guess the next question is if I download NA2 and hate it, can I go back to NA and it will work correctly?

NA 2 phones home to a LOT more servers. I find that concerning as it is not clearly disclosed. What that means to people's privacy is something that can only be left to speculation.

i keep a copy of NA 1 for when NA2 throws a hissy .

NI used to be innovative, who knew?

What i do know is that they used to have quality control in software engineering, mind you so did Apple, before that overrated toilet designer made everything thin and stylish.

Ventura is so buggy, you could take it to school as an invertebrate science project.

Gaaah

My two grand Studio crashes on wake up 37 days out of 40...

Double Gaaaahh....

Thank you for this. Maybe the moderator dude can combine threads since mine is identical to yours?

Was there an email sent to registered users saying NA2 is replacing NA? Or maybe I should ask if that is even the purpose of NI2?

Will NA no longer update Kontakt or Maschine...just the 2 tools I mostly use so I'm forced to go to NA2?

It's reassuring I can always dump NA2 and go back to NA. But for me, I'm not even sure it's worth it.

NA 2 phones home to a LOT more servers. I find that concerning as it is not clearly disclosed. What that means to people's privacy is something that can only be left to speculation.
That for me is a huge negative.

The only reason I am even wondering about NA vs. NA2 is whether or not there is an improvement in the Kontakt7.10.1 load times?

The answer is simple. One works and more often the other one doesn't.
The danger here is when you have new users that have problems with the Asshat experience I doubt they will come back. If they are the non orchestra type there are far more options out there.
I can't stand these distribution apps. I get it you have a large catalogue of products. There should be an option to download without these apps. IK does that. If you have Komplete and a drive goes bad you have to download all of that again. I like to archive everything I buy.

Thank you for this. Maybe the moderator dude can combine threads since mine is identical to yours?

Was there an email sent to registered users saying NA2 is replacing NA? 1. Or maybe I should ask if that is even the purpose of NI2?

2. Will NA no longer update Kontakt or Maschine...just the 2 tools I mostly use so I'm forced to go to NA2?

It's reassuring I can always dump NA2 and go back to NA. But for me, I'm not even sure it's worth it.

That for me is a huge negative.

The only reason I am even wondering about NA vs. NA2 is whether or not there is an improvement in the Kontakt7.10.1 load times?
1.Piss people off when it doesn't work.
2.Nope it doesn't

The other negative is if you have a working version of Asshat an update will overwrite it and there's the chance of a broken one.

1.Piss people off when it doesn't work.
2.Nope it doesn't

The other negative is if you have a working version of Asshat an update will overwrite it and there's the chance of a broken one.
which is why i never allow autoupdate,

and i always rename the app with a versionname like nativeabcess128.app,
so the one that works isn't over written by the new borky one, when i do reluctantly allow an update.

which is why i never allow autoupdate,

and i always rename the app with a versionname like nativeabcess128.app,
so the one that works isn't over written by the new borky one, when i do reluctantly allow an update.
hey I've had an idea, you know all those quality control employees you sacked, why not rehire them...

NA2 isn't working well for me, and still rely on NA1 as it is far more robust, doesn't crash, doesn't get stuck / frozen, and ultimately doesn't spawn several sub-processes (a major issue for anyone with a dual-CPU setup).

This from a post I just made on the Kontakt thread:
Giving the newer Native Access 2.0 another go today. Alas it still spawns 6 or 7 processess, which doesn't work on my PC as it has 2 CPUs, so spreads the spawned processes over both CPU's. So ultimately it crashes.
Such a pain because this is preventing me from updating beyond Kontakt version 7.6, and the same with at least a dozen other libraries.

So is there a workaround? Is there a way to force Native Access 2.0 to only run on CPU 0 or CPU 1 ?

So is there a workaround? Is there a way to force Native Access 2.0 to only run on CPU 0 or CPU 1 ?
Not an expert on Windows or NA but I recall Windows have core affinity. Maybe try this one (replace program exe with the name of the NA executable).
start /affinity 1 program.exe

Not an expert on Windows or NA but I recall Windows have core affinity. Maybe try this one (replace program exe with the name of the NA executable).
start /affinity 1 program.exe
Thanks @dts_marin. Great idea and it does successfully force NA2 and Kontak7 to use CPU00. But Kontakt7 now believes it hasn't been activated. (good grief moment). Closing and re-running Kontakt7 repeatedly presents the same issue each time.

I think that when NA2 first started up (having been installed), it was running on CPU01, instead of CPU00. I have managed to align NA2 with CPU0 and all of its sub-processes now only run on CPU00. However, running up Kontakt7 will now only run successfully on CPU01. When it runs on CPU00 it displays the Demo / Buy / Activate window. It won't activate. Instead it starts up NA2 and Kontakt7 crashes out. Clicking the Demo mode does put Kontakt7 in to demo mode, but it only works for about an hour before crashing out. Re-installing NA2 and Kontakt7 doesn't resolve the issue. Nor does deleting the NI folder in the users/public/ folder (as recommended by NI).

I've now raised a ticket with NI. Hoping that they will fix it, or, else I'll have to revert back to NA1 and downgrade back to Kontakt 7.6

Thanks @dts_marin. Great idea and it does successfully force NA2 and Kontak7 to use CPU00. But Kontakt7 now believes it hasn't been activated. (good grief moment). Closing and re-running Kontakt7 repeatedly presents the same issue each time.

I think that when NA2 first started up (having been installed), it was running on CPU01, instead of CPU00. I have managed to align NA2 with CPU0 and all of its sub-processes now only run on CPU00. However, running up Kontakt7 will now only run successfully on CPU01. When it runs on CPU00 it displays the Demo / Buy / Activate window. It won't activate. Instead it starts up NA2 and Kontakt7 crashes out. Clicking the Demo mode does put Kontakt7 in to demo mode, but it only works for about an hour before crashing out. Re-installing NA2 and Kontakt7 doesn't resolve the issue. Nor does deleting the NI folder in the users/public/ folder (as recommended by NI).

I've now raised a ticket with NI. Hoping that they will fix it, or, else I'll have to revert back to NA1 and downgrade back to Kontakt 7.6
UPDATE
I've managed to find a temporary solution !!
Uninstall NA2 and Reinstall NA1. Restart Kontakt7 and click Activate. NA1 activates Kontakt7 and re-activates all the libraries. Everything loads up fine in both Nuendo and VEPro7.
Yes!!
Phew!!.
Goes to show that NA2 is a step backwards from NA1.

Now waiting on NI support to get back to me.

so all musicians, who use NI software, now have to learn programming. Do me a favour....

No offence to my learned colleague, but to quote Bones

"Damnit man, I'm a crap amateur musician not a computer programmer!!!"

i am deprecating NI in favour of UVI and others.

Maybe we could start a petition for NI to hire some good programmers...

so all musicians, who use NI software, now have to learn programming. Do me a favour....

No offence to my learned colleague, but to quote Bones

"Damnit man, I'm a crap amateur musician not a computer programmer!!!"

i am deprecating NI in favour of UVI and others.

Maybe we could start a petition for NI to hire some good programmers...
If you ever been to their forum most of the solutions are given my people outside NI. I also think they got some paid shills participating because they never give advice on to fix it but sympathy to NI.

UPDATE
I've managed to find a temporary solution !!
Uninstall NA2 and Reinstall NA1. Restart Kontakt7 and click Activate. NA1 activates Kontakt7 and re-activates all the libraries. Everything loads up fine in both Nuendo and VEPro7.
Yes!!
Phew!!.
Goes to show that NA2 is a step backwards from NA1.

Now waiting on NI support to get back to me.
5 days later and still no response from N.I support. Have they been let go and only the ticketing system now remains?

The answer is simple. One works and more often the other one doesn't.
The danger here is when you have new users that have problems with the Asshat experience I doubt they will come back. If they are the non orchestra type there are far more options out there.
I can't stand these distribution apps. I get it you have a large catalogue of products. There should be an option to download without these apps. IK does that. If you have Komplete and a drive goes bad you have to download all of that again. I like to archive everything I buy.
indeed new users will be put off. Naughty Instruments will lose customers if they don't improve core functions like K*nt*kt and Native Abcess....

as I've said before, I will not buy any more NI stuff.

Other orchestra related stuff is available,

good news for small independents,

and yes Decent Sampler is not as good at Kontakt at the moment,

but let's see what happens in the next couple of years...

Last edited:
Here's some potentially useful info. It could be that activation tokens were created on CPU1 the first time NA was started and they weren't refreshed when you assigned NA2 to run on CPU0. To force a reset of the tokens, you can delete this folder:

C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Native Instruments\Native Access\ras3

and restart NA2 while it's being pinned to CPU0.

Top Bottom