What's new

Dear Spitfire: What Were You Thinking?

I'm assuming they moved away from it because the overhead on paying NI for Kontakt encryption was eating into their profits-- which is fine, but just... do it right! haha

I agree, I have BBC Winds in my template and that's it, kind of a shame.

Same here. I quite like the woodwinds and the percussion in the BBCSO and I have these in my template. However, the brass especially the horns and trumpets are pretty terrible.

Not in Pro /Upper-Tier User category ..... extensive hours daily in home studio .....
No more SFA purchases other than older Kontakt Libs. My choices have virtually '0' impact on SFA in any way.
Don't care about SFA or OT reasons ... business, creative, whatever .....

In fact, not conservative .... career tech guy, but heavily hardware.
Concerned as heck about alternatives to Kontakt 6.2., et al, Libs. Will go there until quality options are gone ..... :eek:

OTH .... as always, this will sort itself as market forces choose. :thumbsup:

I don’t think it had anything to do with paying NI, and more that NI made some risky business moves that has caused them some issues. If you’re a leader in sampling, you don’t want to rely so heavily on a company that’s making bad business decisions. I doubt they’re really saving that much money developing their own player. Orchestral Tools is doing the same thing, albeit a very different approach.

I think the player could use some improvement, but it’s working ok for me. With my template set up, I’m not even interacting with it much.
I think it had more to do with not wanting to be dependent on NI for priorities in how the sample player is developed, not wanting to share their sales data and customer base with NI, wanting a better solution to piracy, and wanting a way to distribute labs instruments for free.

Dear Spitfire, I understand why you bail on this board every six months. Honestly I’m
right there with you — the self-entitlement is stifling. You try to push the envelope of what’s possible and people want the same old thing you did before. God forbid someone abandons a sampler full of 10+ year old code for something new and it’s not perfect at version 1.000. Stop trying to make something better. Sincerely, forum lizard #3405.

SFA Player, OT SINE Player, EW-Play, HALion, VSL Synchron Player, UVI Workstation ..... in the realm of 'something better'.
Dunno the answer if Kontakt fails to grow and improve, but for now, it's cool to work everyday with something capable and what I'm accustomed to.

Last edited:
When Kontakt first came out there were issues but NI was blazing very new trails at that time. It seems hard to believe that the competition can't come up with a more friendly design considering the shoulders they are standing upon.

Last edited:
I don't think I've every actually gotten it to load properly. But I only have the free libraries. And I just got apurature, though I haven't had time to download it yet. (left on a business trip right after I got it) I just think how Play only became usable at version 5. Hopefully, this doesn't take so long.

But even if it does become really great, they still may not have all that fixed if it works for most of the people out there. There's a point at which there's diminishing returns to keeping customers happy.

The thing in question is about compatibility, which is a valid concern in all branches of software. Are you saying that Spitfire libraries are not compatible with other formats anymore, like NI Kontakt? I was under the impression that you had a choice? (I dont own any Spitfire libs, but ofc they have been on my radar).

I remember the old EWQLSO Gold started out in Kontakt, and then they did the same thing doing the self-contained thing (Play). Is this about company rivalry, not wanting to cooperate?

There's a lot of misinformation flowing through this thread and there needs to be a bit of balance.

Yes, the Spitfire player isn't perfect but it is capable of slotting into pro workflows. It has keyswitching options that can be changed or intergrated into an articulation switching system. It's lack of memory purging can be offset using things like DAW dynamic plugin loading and the like.

I could go on, but in short, there are ways to work with it.

The OP's central argument is that Spitfire have "messed up" by not designing a player around his specific needs and workflow. It's a weird argument framing that's too prevalent around these parts. If a tool or library doesn't quite work in the way you want, the "professional" way is to find a solution to make it work. Not to hit the forums demanding changes.

Yes, we should always encourage and help developers to improve. But this "calling developers out" thing, deliberately pushing the extreme ends of the argument for views and clicks helps no-one. There are ways of engaging productively with devs and threads like this 'aint it.

(edited for clarity.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom