What's new

Community

bigcat1969

Versilian Studios has been kind enough to release a Community versions of their orchestra for free under the Creative Commons Zero 1.0 Universal with the request that the samples not be sold.
https://vis.versilstudios.net/vsco-community.html

Right now the samples and a Beta SFZ version are available, eventually the Studio will release other versions, they also offer to host versions created by others. The Community version says it was created for, among others, "hobbyist sample library designers" and while can't speak for the other dozen or so guys who fit this label, I appreciate the gesture and the samples. So... let's create.

All the five string instruments below in one zip
(broken link removed)

Solo Violin for Kontakt 5
(broken link removed)

Violin Section for Kontakt 5
(broken link removed)

Viola Section for Kontakt 5
(broken link removed)

Cello Section for Kontakt 5
(broken link removed)

Solo Contrabass for Kontakt 5
(broken link removed)

Creative Commons Zero 1.0 Universal : Versilian Studios / Sam Gossner

The use of the Name VSCO 2 is an acknowledgement of the source of the samples and not an endorsement in any form.

These are definitely experimental versions and input is welcome. Thanks to CCLarry for already bug hunting some of my bigger mistakes.

I found the samples somewhat loose and in my 'I want sound and I want it now' frame of mind I may well have gone overboard in tightening them. This might be considered a pop instant gratification version of the orchestra.

I used the AET Velocity morph on the Solo Violin but not the others, I'm not sure if it made things better or worse. Also (and for those with weak hearts please look away), I normalized the samples.

Please add other versions be they Kontakt or otherwise to this thread and thanks to the gentleman and ladies and gentlemen who gave us these samples.

Last edited:
Breaking things up into sections so as not to have a giant link page.

The three Key and Harp instruments below in one zip
(broken link removed)

Harp for Kontakt 5
(broken link removed)

Upright Piano for Kontakt 5
(broken link removed)

Organ for Kontakt 5
(broken link removed)

Creative Commons Zero 1.0 Universal : Versilian Studios / Sam Gossner & Simon Dalzell of Ivy Audio

Last edited:
Thanks for getting that out. I hope you are getting some sleep these days!

I did notice that the bottom octave on the harp was very quiet, while the upper end of the Solo Violin Vibrato seemed too quiet versus the lower octaves.

The Solo Violin Tremolo and Spiccato are both quite nice, but the Pizzicato has a few issues. Using SForzando the C7 doesn't always trigger a note. Also to me there seemed to be some issues with I'm not sure what to call it, but playing style. I anticipate in general that lower Pizzicato notes will sound fuller with a longer sustain after the pluck while the higher notes will be 'plinkyer' with little sustain. This seemed a bit random on this instrument with some notes sounding almost like they had wandered in from the wrong articulation. This might have to do with open strings and other things this non-violinist doesn't understand, but it hurt the consistency.

Last edited:
Amazing job! Amazing contribution from Versilian Studios, bigcat1969 and Samulis. Thanks for all your efforts and dedication!

Thanks for getting that out. I hope you are getting some sleep these days!

I did notice that the bottom octave on the harp was very quiet, while the upper end of the Solo Violin Vibrato seemed too quiet versus the lower octaves.

The Solo Violin Tremolo and Spiccato are both quite nice, but the Pizzicato has a few issues. Using SForzando the C7 doesn't always trigger a note. Also to me there seemed to be some issues with I'm not sure what to call it, but playing style. I anticipate in general that lower Pizzicato notes will sound fuller with a longer sustain after the pluck while the higher notes will be 'plinkyer' with little sustain. This seemed a bit random on this instrument with some notes sounding almost like they had wandered in from the wrong articulation. This might have to do with open strings and other things this non-violinist doesn't understand, but it hurt the consistency.

Thanks for checking things out, Bigcat! Not a whole ton I can do with the harp- if I increase the lower end too much, it'll get pretty noisy. I think I might have forgotten to get the harp denoised originally, haha.

The solo pizz non-trigger might be a missing RR mapping. I'll check in on it, it should have automatically adjusted itself. Yes, those are open strings- G, D, A, and E. I typically map the upper and lower neighbors to go right up against that, or remove those samples completely. :)

Thanks for the explanations and not getting upset. Keep up the good work. Spread the word about the sfz mappings as some folks have been asking for them and might not know they are already in existence.

Thanks for the explanations and not getting upset. Keep up the good work. Spread the word about the sfz mappings as some folks have been asking for them and might not know they are already in existence.
You're a fellow developer, you know what receiving and giving critique is like; anger is not necessary. ;)

I'm lucky I just posted those mappings right in the middle of the Friday Freebie @ fr.audiofanzine. A few hundred mildly surprised French people right now, haha. I'm continuing to spread the word and welcome any shares on sites or social platforms, it will just take some time as these things do.

Nice I love the French! Whenever that site mentions something you get a big flood of downloads and some very lively debate on their forum complaining that the freebie isn't as good as the highest level paid instrument!

Oh and I wanted to say thanks for the length of the sustains and the like. I'm used to maybe 3 seconds on most free samples I work with and these are generally from 8 to 14 seconds. I'm gonna have to build up my figure muscles to hold down the keys for that long.

Nice I love the French! Whenever that site mentions something you get a big flood of downloads and some very lively debate on their forum complaining that the freebie isn't as good as the highest level paid instrument!

Oh and I wanted to say thanks for the length of the sustains and the like. I'm used to maybe 3 seconds on most free samples I work with and these are generally from 8 to 14 seconds. I'm gonna have to build up my figure muscles to hold down the keys for that long.
The first time they mentioned my site, they almost crashed it. XD

The lack of decent sustains were one of the reasons I made this library. I remember all the tricks I had to do with the free sf2's I used to use to not make the too-quick loops overstay their welcome.

Moving on to Woodwinds for those of you who flout your talent...

All 4 instruments in one zip file
Woodwinds for Kontakt 5
(broken link removed)

Flute for Kontakt 5
(broken link removed)

Bassoon for Kontakt 5
(broken link removed)

Clarinet for Kontakt 5
(broken link removed)

Oboe for Kontakt 5
(broken link removed)

Last edited:
Just a note that I'll be busy earning an alleged living and other stuff the next few days. So don't think I'm abandoning the project. I'll be back with more Kontakt stuff probably Tuesday.

Well the Woodwinds are done. I made a mistake on the Flute and cheated you out of a yummy middle velocity layer, so you might want to redownload that now as it should be fixed. Please let me know if you find mistakes. Each instrument requires some script modification and other stuff that I can forget to do if I'm not careful. And I'm not always careful.

Also put up a blog post about the whole thing.
https://bigcatinstruments.blogspot.com/2016/07/vsco-2-kontakt.html

Last edited:
A now the brass

All four in one zip
(broken link removed)

Trumpet for Kontakt 5
(broken link removed)

French Horn for Kontakt 5
(broken link removed)

Trombone for Kontakt 5
(broken link removed)

Tuba for Kontakt 5
(broken link removed)

Last edited:
I've updated the sfz's so they are now COMPLETE! I also did a number of changes, such as removing that pesky path bug that was afflicting anyone loading the sfz's into older versions, on macs, or into other programs that are more strict than the build of ARIA I use. I extended ranges to be more accurate, and tweaked up some other issues (such as a RR bug in the tuba sustains). Lastly, I split the download into two parts, in order to facilitate much easier patching.

New changes in the sample set include the replacement of the sustain patches for trumpet, horn, and oboe (including mutes) with non-phaselocked versions. This will result in a much more realistic performance when playing polyphonically or layered in ensembles (much less 1991-sounding, at least). In addition, I did a bunch of renaming (particularly to percussion, and staccato patches that did not already contain 'rr' in the naming convention; both to facilitate the auto-mapper).

https://vis.versilstudios.net/vsco-community.html

Anyone developing based on the sample set can use the old set, a blend of the two to taste, or the new set.

Another matter of clerical blah-blah, I have now made the license [CC] Zero (faux-public domain). I of course, still invite attribution, and encourage you to keep everything free, public, and open, but they are no longer required (to end some confusion about if you need to attribute this or that).

Lastly, I have now pushed everything on to GitHub-
https://github.com/sgossner/VSCO-2-CE/tree/master
https://github.com/sgossner/VSCO-2-CE/tree/SFZ

Thanks so much! I know even less about orchestral percussion than I do about other instruments, so the sfzs will be a great guide. Thanks for putting it all in CC0 that is also kind as it allows for easier use. I'll continue to call the version I've been working on VSCO 2 and credit you and Simon, if you can stomach such behavior. I did add a line at the bottom of the blog saying neither the name nor reference to you and Simon was an endorsement which I forgot to do earlier. Sorry about that.

Since Samulis isn't putting out a Kontakt version and some weren't exactly thrilled with my cut, here is what I call the 0 version as in I did zero to the samples or the sample starting points. Just the raw samples in a Kontakt shell.

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

Last edited:
Alright back from a touch of vacation and trying my hand at percussion. There is a while lot of it going on here. I about filled the whole keyboard. Some of the percussion I'd never even heard of before. There is some color coding to hopefully keep things somewhat straight.

(broken link removed)

Last edited:
Top Bottom