What's new

Cinematic Studio Strings 1.7 - audio examples and general discussion

View attachment run tests.mp3

I made a test with Samplemodeling Strings + 8dio Agitato, then Agitato alone, then SM alone, and finally BBCSO. They probably take more work than CSS and don't sound as good. I own several other string libraries that can't pull it off.

That said, this is the sort of run that's easier to do than something like Hedwig's Theme with continuous runs all over the place, I think most can't compete with CSS on that front unless you start layering articulations and going a bit nuts.
8Dio Agitato sounded horrible on it's own

I would be interested to hear if other libraries can; it's always good to have more options. Here's a little score. Have at it!

DOD Runs Score.png
Cinematic Strings 2.0 Runs Mode / Ark 5 Playable Runs Patch/ Pacific using a combo of Trem and Trill Patches

- CS2 is pretty noisy, but has the same fluidity and nice messiness that CSS has. I like the bigger ensemble tone better than CSS but the noise issues are not insignificant

- Ark 5 - pretty good but not messy enough? Tone is fine, but not my favorite.

- Pacific - I experimented for a few minutes with this. Unconvincing on its own, but could work in context with a full orchestra in a pinch. Favorite tone and ensemble size. I hope Jasper makes a runs library at some point.

Attachments

• Runs CS2.0.mp3
    315.3 KB
  • Runs Ark5.mp3
    315.3 KB
  • Runs PSS.mp3
    315.3 KB
Here is an attempt (so far) at recreating the OST for the penultimate track on the new Indiana Jones flick.

(There's also an Infinite French Horn buried in there, and some Infinite WW at the end but I haven't worked on that part yet, only the strings in this section.)

CSS with a few effects on the buss and maybe too much Berlin Studio:
View attachment Indiana Jones Romantic Strings 12-04-2023.mp3

OST, with a quick crossfade out of the previous chord at the very beginning:
View attachment Indiana Jones Romantic Strings OST.mp3

CSS with no FX on the strings buss:
View attachment Indiana Jones Romantic Strings noFX.mp3

CSS with no Berlin Studio, either (aka "out of the box" mix mics):
View attachment Indiana Jones Romantic Strings noBS.mp3

I'm still not 100% on CSS ... there's so much it does well but I still struggle with some subtle things.

Folks! don't forget it's in Eb minor :emoji_laughing:
View attachment Runs.mp3
This is SSS, dry out of the box. I quite like it.
I think this is pretty good. It has the accents on the beat which is a big part of the musical attitude.

Cinematic Strings 2.0 Runs Mode / Ark 5 Playable Runs Patch/ Pacific using a combo of Trem and Trill Patches

- CS2 is pretty noisy, but has the same fluidity and nice messiness that CSS has. I like the bigger ensemble tone better than CSS but the noise issues are not insignificant

- Ark 5 - pretty good but not messy enough? Tone is fine, but not my favorite.

- Pacific - I experimented for a few minutes with this. Unconvincing on its own, but could work in context with a full orchestra in a pinch. Favorite tone and ensemble size. I hope Jasper makes a runs library at some point.
CS2 sounds great here. Just too noisy.

The Ark5 ones sounded VERY realistic! The only issue is there's not enough accent on the beats. If that's something that could be fiddled with, this could actually be better than CSS. Interesting. I have never messed around with any of the Arks.
That said, this is the sort of run that's easier to do than something like Hedwig's Theme with continuous runs all over the place, I think most can't compete with CSS on that front unless you start layering articulations and going a bit nuts.
Yes, you get a lot more momentum in real life when you interlock the runs like this. Because the players can "throw" the bow at their individual parts.

This cue below was part of a contest on VIC a few years ago wasn't it? of people trying to mock up those runs...

Last edited:
The Ark5 ones sounded VERY realistic! The only issue is there's not enough accent on the beats. If that's something that could be fiddled with, this could actually be better than CSS. Interesting. I have never messed around with any of the Arks.
I like the Ark 5 Playable Runs patch. You can adjust the accent with the mod wheel / CC1 or with Velocity, yes. There's a toggle switch in SINE in the Main tab.

8Dio Agitato sounded horrible on it's own
Agreed.

I think this is pretty good. It has the accents on the beat which is a big part of the musical attitude.
Yes, that was hard to do with the strings I tested in a believable way which I found surprising, even with samplemodeling. I layered staccatos but they sounded unnatural in a line like that with the libraries I got.

So yeah, even though one might believe at first listen "yeah, many libraries can pull that off" when you actually give it a try it's not that simple to make it sound well.

Very curious about how Abbey Road Violins 1 and Celli perform in this scenario. They seem to have very flexible attacks and a dedicated run legato.

@NoamL did you try them out?

I did (only own the Violin I).

Just not enough accent. I also tried with the runs legato patch and was getting note dropouts, I think it might be because one of the intervals in the melody is larger than the max interval they sampled.

For my current gig I'm pretty all-in for CSS, but as soon as this thing wraps up maybe it's time to learn ARO better. Perhaps someone who has been messing about with it ever since it came out would know how to make it sing for this passage.

I recently bought CSS and it’s a fantastic library. Usually I don't get impressed with libraries! After years of using EWQL I bought BBC pro and considered it just as a nice update, but CSS is a really classy product. It doesn't have sul pont etc but bbc strings can replace few bars of a music that require such techniques. Also it gave life to SStS, they play nice together, and also can use the occasional sul pont. Time for the CSW now!

Has there been a fix or hack or something for the stuck notes issue? I've tried everything I can think of to prevent it but it happens too often.

I think this has been mentioned before, but the marcato patch (with and without spiccato) can do pretty much everything - I use it for legatos, shorts, trills, doubles... eg there are measured trems, various shorts/legatos/runs and trills in this mock-up but they were all programmed using the marcato patch:

View attachment The Asteroid Field.mp3

(the slightly longer gliss was made by recording the standard slow CSS transition and then just slowing the audio down, not sure how successful it was)
What a nice mock-up! Shame the glisses are not innate to CSS. You made them sound great.

As I'm waiting for Infinite Strings I'm flirting with an idea of getting CSS. I really don't own this playable string library. (I own CS2, which sounds great but the legatos in CSS seem way tighter.)

But hearing what you did with Infinite Brass there, I may still wait for IS.

What a nice mock-up! Shame the glisses are not innate to CSS. You made them sound great.

As I'm waiting for Infinite Strings I'm flirting with an idea of getting CSS. I really don't own this playable string library. (I own CS2, which sounds great but the legatos in CSS seem way tighter.)

But hearing what you did with Infinite Brass there, I may still wait for IS.
Chances of you regretting getting CSS are low.
Chance of us all getting Infinite strings this decade are lower.

Has there been a fix or hack or something for the stuck notes issue? I've tried everything I can think of to prevent it but it happens too often.
On my end, the stuck note happen only if I use the pedal (cc64). So I avoid to use it as much as I can and it usually works fine. But the moment I have cc64 data for a Cinematic Studio instrument, there's a very high chance that a note will stick unfortunately. Even with the latest version.

Top Bottom