What's new

Best drum libraries for brushed jazz drums?

If you're a logic user, the drum kit designer includes a couple of brush kits.
Also, NI 50's drummer has brushes.
There was also a free brush kit by Sonic Couture at one point..

I do not own this brushed drum library so do not have any personal experience with it, but happened to notice that it was on sale for $9 (normally $29) this month so I thought I'd post a link. https://www.karoryfer.com/karoryfer-samples/wydawnictwa/swirly-drums

Just a quick derail, please: Never heard of this. Nice find. You say you don't own it, but do you (or anyone) happen to know if it includes MIDI files? I didn't see a mention of whether it did or did not in the video or description. For $9, I might have to check this out.

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. I have a load of drum libs, but never considered the VSL. I bought Swing last year, but never used it. ;-(
The problem is that I need the 3/4 - jazz walz - with brushes and that a bit difficult to find.
Again thank you!
The brush kit in AD2 has quite a few 3/4 beats ready for you.

EDIT: ooops, those shown are NOT from the brush pack, they are from the others. No 3/4 in brush kit at all I'm afraid.
Sorry...
Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 15.52.34.png

Last edited:
Toontrack has a few options, the Nashville kit has nice brushes, Jazz Kit, Roots. The down side is that the guys they use to program the included grooves - well, IMHO - aren't the greatest (or at least don't generally play the way I need) so included grooves only get you so far. If you're good at programing then it's not an issue and the sound is good.

Just a quick derail, please: Never heard of this. Nice find. You say you don't own it, but do you (or anyone) happen to know if it includes MIDI files? I didn't see a mention of whether it did or did not in the video or description. For $9, I might have to check this out.
I made it, so I can say - no MIDI.

Also working on another kit with sticks, mallets and brushes, might be ready in March... it also has similar stirs, this time on both the snare and the floor tom.

Well for Jazz I stil use Toontrack EZX Jazz and Straight Ahead! Jazz Drums + Brushes & Mallets. So far I am happy with all three products. I have heared that the Jazz Drums for AD2 (Modern Jazz Sticks / Brushes) are also said to be very cool but didnt have the chance to test em myself.

Yes there is a lot of drum libs out there but no 3/4 brushes.

You can always try looploft. They have great brush bundle. I am not sure what you mean by 3/4 brushes. Cinesamples also have nice tone.

But generally while I was looking for the most comprehensive brush drums I confirm what others said...vsl than sas

I like https://users.telenet.be/deridderpiet.be/SB_Examples/PremierBrushes.mp3 (these). (Haven't been able to get similar results with any other library, and I have quite a few.) They're from an older Premier Soundfactory library, 'Historic Jazz Drums' which, sadly, is no longer available.

_

You can always try looploft. They have great brush bundle. I am not sure what you mean by 3/4 brushes. Cinesamples also have nice tone.

But generally while I was looking for the most comprehensive brush drums I confirm what others said...vsl than sas
It's just jazz waltz 3/4!

Well funny enough Groove Agent 5 and Simon Phillips Jazz drums are real nice too.
Thanks a lot for all your input!

Toontrack has a few options, the Nashville kit has nice brushes, Jazz Kit, Roots. The down side is that the guys they use to program the included grooves - well, IMHO - aren't the greatest (or at least don't generally play the way I need) so included grooves only get you so far. If you're good at programing then it's not an issue and the sound is good.
I have to agree with this - the grooves sometimes seem a bit heavy handed and lacking in finesse, but if you're a good programmer you can easily refine them to your tastes.

Here's a quick bounce of the Toontrack Roots Brushes Kit with one of their 3/4 Jazz 'Jam Tracks' (ie a full improvised track rather than an assembly of 4 bar sections).

The most useful Ive found is the Addictive Drums kit already mentioned, the ones i Projectsam Swing (1), and the brushes packs from The Loop Loft which has a very well defined sound..

Hi again! A little late maybe, but this is a good example of how convenient the Straight Ahead Brushes And Mallets can sound, and it is in 3/4. Hope you enjoy:)

Cheers!

This is really good! I must say I wouldn't guess if you did not tell. Just wondering are the drums the only vi used here?

Top Bottom