What's new

AVAILABLE NOW — Abbey Road One: Orchestral Foundations

Exactly!

I mean, Spitfire have a plan to offer lots of different types of sample libraries (ensembles, pre orchestrated small 'selections', and future pro modular super-detailed sampled stuff) and at different price points.

There's something for everyone, from the beginner, hobbyist and to pro level.

They can't tell you the full plan, because they're in the middle of scripting, recording and building the libraries !

They're all over YouTube and on forums, they'll tell you things when they can ! :thumbsup:
But here’s the deal: they aren’t giving me the exact library to my exact specifications now this minute. And really it’s all about my needs at this moment. Also is it too much to ask that they place the AR1 orchestra on call in my studio? I mean I should be able to get that for a couple hundred dollars, right?

Seriously, despite myself, I find this new line quite exciting. I’m still not sure how the old Air Studio stuff fits into the plan for the business if the new line, especially the modular library, doesn’t carry a super premium price. But that’s for SF to work out.

I’m also now wondering again why SF abandoned the old BML concept without completing it according to the original specifications and if they have a better plan to ensure that they can get over whatever hump (market or technical) derailed BML and led SF to the decision to lower the price somewhat and transform it into SSO. SSO, though an excellent set of libraries, suffers a bit from the fact that the original BML scheme was never completed.

What is the point of this library? Even as a sketch library, I feel it should've had legato and a few extra articulations like trills.

As such, I'm not sure how usable it is. You have pad like strings, brass and WWs.
You have some non tempo synced swells.
You have one length of shorts in the strings and some more in the other sections.
Percussion sounds stellar but could use some more than the 5 RRs seen in the walkthroughs.

Apologies for posting this in the commercial thread. Hoping @paulthomson or @christianhenson could lay out their vision for this library. Yes everything sounds great. How does one use it though? Especially considering other ensemble libraries in a similar price range and/ or the various other libraries one may have.

This is a very exciting first step though and I am looking forward to the upcoming detailed, individual sections.
A lot of these concerns go away if it sits reasonably well with other section libraries like SSO or BBCSO. I rarely sketch with legato for instance, because in most instances I sketch by instrumental family (winds; brass; piano, harp & percussion; strings) requiring harmonies. In that respect breaking out the winds and brass into multiple instruments is a bit of a problem, though it’s one I’m used to working with. If I really need legato, say violin 1 or flute, I’ll add that to the sketch. And what’s important is that the sketching library and the individual libraries fit together well enough for the sketch. Legato mostly comes in after the sketch stage, adding in detail or in completely reworking the sketch for the section libraries (depending on the material).

I'm going to pre-order Orchestral Foundations, but unfortunately I can't help seeing it as an incomplete product. It's frustrating, because it would take just this one step to make me totally satisfied for now - and that's some basic legato. It's like they didn't want to make it too good on purpose. Opinions vary, as I've noticed in another thread, but to me legato is essential. It's a modern standard. Without it, the library is going to feel a little bit like a demo version for me personally.

I can only hope that the legato content will be comprehensive enough and we won't end up with 3 types of high strings legato, but no trumpets legato, for example. In other words, I really want each section of OF to get a corresponding legato as a minimum. Then I'm hoping for combos, runs, effects and stuff like that.

Their approach to Selections is intriguing. It doesn't look like we're getting straight up "Abbey Road Legatos" or "Abbey Road Orchestral Runs". I bet it's more like "Abbey Road Heroic Brass" or "Abbey Road Super Mega Emotional Strings" etc. you get the idea... I just hope I'll be able to expand on all sections at once, instead of getting strings additions Q1, woodwinds additions in Q2 and so on... That would be a pain.

Anyway, I trust Spitfire on this one and I believe that once we get all the parts, I will be more than happy with it. I just can't NOT invest in a sample library recorded in this studio. It's literally something I've always wanted to have (well, it's not LSO at AR, but it's good enough).

I love the sound! This is, for many of us very, very exciting!

As I absolutely want to purchase this, I do have some reservations regarding the lack of legatos and information regarding them in future expansions.

Here’s my thinking on this -

For my writing and the way I compose, I write in single lines 90% of the time. A good amount of the music I write involves long sustained lines and I almost always use legatos for that. In fact my template is made up of mainly legato patches for sustained notes and very few long/sus patches, as I very infrequently play chords with orchestral sections.

What I’d like to know is what is planned for the expansions. They’re $50 which is really great but how many and what’s the content? I could end up paying quite bit for everything and still not get what I’m looking for (who am I kidding, I’m sure I’d love it). My concern is, should I just wait for the pro versions and take the money I saved and apply it towards that? I’m most definitely going to purchase the pro versions and if it ends up making One redundant and I never use it, it’ll be a waste of money.

I really would like to know if Spitfire has at least a general legato planned for each section. I know this doesn’t seem likely based on what Paul and Christian have said (looks like expansions will be specialized, which is also really intriguing) but it looks like I’ll be buying into a larger library and not what is just presented here. Nothing wrong with that (in fact it’s rather exciting) I just need to budget it out, lol!

Basically, as it sounds like I’ll be purchasing this PLUS the expansions what will the final cost be and would be worth it just waiting. Choices, choices...

Maybe the number of expansions planned? At least with that we’ll have a better idea of total investmet.

Thanks to Paul and Christian for coming here to answer our questions and be involved in the dialog. You guys make amazing tools, that I for one would be lost without!

I love the sound! This is, for many of us very, very exciting!

As I absolutely want to purchase this, I do have some reservations regarding the lack of legatos and information regarding them in future expansions.

Here’s my thinking on this -

For my writing and the way I compose, I write in single lines 90% of the time. A good amount of the music I write involves long sustained lines and I almost always use legatos for that. In fact my template is made up of mainly legato patches for sustained notes and very few long/sus patches, as I very infrequently play chords with orchestral sections.

What I’d like to know is what is planned for the expansions. They’re $50 which is really great but how many and what’s the content? I could end up paying quite bit for everything and still not get what I’m looking for (who am I kidding, I’m sure I’d love it). My concern is, should I just wait for the pro versions and take the money I saved and apply it towards that? I’m most definitely going to purchase the pro versions and if it ends up making One redundant and I never use it, it’ll be a waste of money.

I really would like to know if Spitfire has at least a general legato planned for each section. I know this doesn’t seem likely based on what Paul and Christian have said (looks like expansions will be specialized, which is also really intriguing) but it looks like I’ll be buying into a larger library and not what is just presented here. Nothing wrong with that (in fact it’s rather exciting) I just need to budget it out, lol!

Basically, as it sounds like I’ll be purchasing this PLUS the expansions what will the final cost be and would be worth it just waiting. Choices, choices...

Maybe the number of expansions planned? At least with that we’ll have a better idea of total investmet.

Thanks to Paul and Christian for coming here to answer our questions and be involved in the dialog. You guys make amazing tools, that I for one would be lost without!

For what its worth, my understanding is that the MODULAR library they're referencing is different to the Film Scoring Selections series which is the specialized expansions. My take is that Abbey Road One is the first installment in the Film Scoring Selections series and the MODULAR library will be a different, more detailed traditional sections library along the lines of SSS, SSB etc. and might even be sold as they did the BML line so trumpets separate to horns etc. ?

Thats my understanding at this time at least. So if you're interested in owning the SSO recorded at Abbey Road it might be worth waiting. This library is more like Albion with the addition of future specialized use case expansions.

As far as I can tell, many libraries also don't have Legatos for e.g. Con Sordino or other techniques (SCS seems to be a notable exception, though). So even with other well regarded libraries, you won't find Legatos for every scenario and you can still make great music with them.

But of course I very much understand, if people are expecting Legatos for the price tag ... on the other hand, don't forget the number of mics and dynamic layers.

For what its worth, my understanding is that the MODULAR library they're referencing is different to the Film Scoring Selections series which is the specialized expansions. My take is that Abbey Road One is the first installment in the Film Scoring Selections series and the MODULAR library will be a different, more detailed traditional sections library along the lines of SSS, SSB etc. and might even be sold as they did the BML line so trumpets separate to horns etc. ?

Thats my understanding at this time at least. So if you're interested in owning the SSO recorded at Abbey Road it might be worth waiting. This library is more like Albion with the addition of future specialized use case expansions.
My understanding too, and also I'm pretty sure that the two product lines are being recorded with the same mics, seating etc with the goal that it'll all blend together like chocolate.

My understanding too, and also worth adding that the two product lines are being recorded with the same mics, seating etc with the goal that it'll all blend together like chocolate.

This is what I am hoping for! Especially the combination of individual sections with the (hopefully fun) expansions seems exciting to me. I recently got BHCT as an addition to Studio Orchestra Pro and I find it very nice to use certain patches from BHCT while still having full control over each section, without worrying about matching different rooms or something like that. For me personally, this is really a joy to work with.

@christianhenson @paulthomson Will the upcoming selections be included in future sales? Asking because the 29 USD Originals haven't been included in sales so far. Wondering if these 49 USD libs will be.
You‘de be very luck if any company, ever, would give you information on future sale prices before a library itself is even released.

It’s probably reasonable to hope for a bundle price eventually ... thought not soon.

I‘m content to not be an early adopter on this, but will be keeping an eye on sales and bundles in the coming years.

I end up using so many different libraries that a lack of legato is pretty much a non issue, I have plenty and my guess is I would not have a problem mixing in another libraries legato but still get the Abby Road Sound in my orch if that is what I was after.
The lack of legato is only temporary as legato patches are coming :) Other than that, you are 100% spot on correctamundo!!

Top Bottom