What's new

Windows 11 Audio Fix? Driving me insane!

ManyMoons

After endless tweaks and troubleshooting - I still can't get past clicking/popping/dropouts on my brand new PC build. I've improved it after much trial and error - but am still getting audio ruining artifacts when using even just one instance of Damage 2, for instance.

PC Specs: 14700k, MSI Tomahawk z790 WIFI, GSkill Ripjaws S5 96GB DDR5, Thermalright Frost Spirit with the Contact Frame, MSI Ventus RTX3060 12GB

Drive setup (All WD Black or Samsung 980 pro Nvme): 1: OS/Programs 2: Libraries 3: Projects 4: Cache for Adobe stuff

DAW: FL Studio 21

Interface: Focusrite Scarlettt 18i8 2nd Gen

Here's what I've tried so far:
- Adjust power plan for max performance (custom)
- Disable all Windows sounds
- Disable startup programs
- Disable USB power saving settings
- Disable USB selective suspend
- Disable exclusive mode for sound device
- Every different ASIO mode (Settled on Focusrite ASIO as usual)
- Every reasonable buffer size (128, 192, 256, 512)
- Every possible DAW tweak in FL (Multi processor support on vs. off in FL and/or Kontakt, safe vs. unsafe overloads, etc.)
- Multiple different USB ports, cables
- Installed Windows 10/11 Focusrite driver, then uninstalled and clean installed Windows 7 driver (good improvement here actually)
- Triple checked all folder paths for samples/VSTs

My CPU isn't spiking past 1% in HWinfo, or past 3-4% in my DAW.

The only things I haven't tried yet is disabling C-states, running Latencymon to see what I get, and possibly trying MS Interrupt Affinity Tool.

Anyone have success somewhere else?

I thought this was a Focusrite issue, but after endless searching online - I'm starting to think it's just Windows 11. Yes, my BIOS is updated to support 14th gen.

What interface/drivers have proven rock solid for you on Windows 11? I can't afford an RME right now - but am thinking of ditching the Scarlett for either a similarly priced Steinberg UR44c or Presonus 1810c. My Focusrite runs just fine on my 12 year old Windows 7 setup. No glitching, even with tons of buffer underruns.

I'm nearing my wit's end with this ridiculousness.

I couldn't decide if this should go in this forum section or the DAW one - it deals with both.

When you open task Manager, is your CPU locked at 3.4 ghz or is it bouncing around? Also yes disabling c-states is required.

Can you try in another DAW after disabling c states? Reaper has a free trial, I also use Cantabile Lite for checking things. Does it happen in standalone Kontakt?

I was just about to hop on that same Microcenter deal but looks like it expired yesterday. Whoops!

I have a Focusrite 18i20 3rd generation. My system is far older than your system and has been running things fine, until recently. After updating win 11 to 23H2, I got breaking up audio and mute functions not restoring the sound once unmuted, across all software.

Your sytem should easily run the device. I know my symptoms are very different but.....

Focusrite sent me a method for a deep delete and restore for my device. You may wish to try this, obviously adapting it to your specific device.

Here are the instructions they sent me (everything works now).

Go to Start Menu > Control Panel> System > Device Manager, and expand "Focusrite Audio".

Uninstall all entries by right-clicking > Uninstall.

Restart the computer.

Go to Programs > Programs and Features.

Sort the list of programs alphabetically by Publisher, and find Focusrite in the Publisher column.

Uninstall all Focusrite Control and Focusrite USB driver.

Disconnect the Scarlett and then restart the computer

Click the Start/Windows button and type "cmd".

Right-click on Command Prompt and select 'Run as admin', and type the following command "SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1"

Press enter and type"devmgmt.msc".

Go to Start Menu > Control Panel> System > Device Manager

Click "View" at the top of the screen and select "Show hidden devices". Please then expand 'Sound, video and game controllers' and 'Focusrite Audio'. You may now see your interface listed here a few times, if you do please right-click on each instance and select Uninstall.

Restart the computer.

Re-install Focusrite Control 3.16, installer available here: https://downloads.focusrite.com/focusrite/scarlett-3rd-gen/scarlett-18i20-3rd-gen

Restart the computer upon successful installation. Then log back into your Windows user account.

Reconnect the Scarlett with your computer and verify if it is working as expected.

When you open task Manager, is your CPU locked at 3.4 ghz or is it bouncing around? Also yes disabling c-states is required.

Can you try in another DAW after disabling c states? Reaper has a free trial, I also use Cantabile Lite for checking things. Does it happen in standalone Kontakt?

I was just about to hop on that same Microcenter deal but looks like it expired yesterday. Whoops!
It's not locked, no. It's jumping between 4.9 and 5.4 actually (with between 0 and 1% utilization.) Is that from some turbo setting in Bios? Should I disable CPU Virtualization too?

If you're not planning on using any virtual machines then yes disable CPU virtualization.

Have you overclocked this machine at all or did it come out of the box like that? Regardless I'm fairly confident that the clock changing is causing this issue.

Out of the box, I need to disable any MSI turbo options I'm thinking. I didn't plan on overclocking at all, hell I plan on undervolting.

Out of the box, I need to disable any MSI turbo options I'm thinking. I didn't plan on overclocking at all, hell I plan on undervolting.
Usually start from the BIOS but some Windows issues might be addressed. The philosophy is "disable anything that controls power".

In BIOS.

Disable C-States as said above

Disable Hyperthreading (just for a while)

Check your MSI Tweak options, a simple solution, chose XMP I or OC I as profile, let it reboot, then ceck if above are disabled again. If your CPU is an i7 12700 for instance, it can reach up to @5.1 I have it at 5.0. As long as your CPU and Motherboard are unlocked.

Got to CPU tweaks and chose to have all cores with a single speed, so all focus on a single task.

Move around your Advanced BIOS options and double check all the CPU power savings/control they may have since can have their own name (I use ASUS) and disable.

In Win.

The power plan, even if it's a desktop be sure that you have all for best performance, not lowest power consumption.

USBs in Device drivers. right click hubs and in the power management tab, disable the "allow control power i this port" (or something like that)

In your Browser preferences, find the option to close the whole browser when you close windows. I use edge wich is based on chromium and it has a bunch of plugins that are loaded and running in the background that you just don't need, it just takes a lil' bit more to load edge.

I did all the above and was happy until I opened Kontakt and started having pops, I disable the quantity of cores in the options and stopped. So, check that too, also if you have something that "optimizes" your drives running in the background like samsung magician.

From NI

For any version after XP, I have not found any significant advantage to Windows tweaks other than disabling the virus checking on sample drives - that speeds up sample load times but doesn't affect crackles/pops. However, I use Cubase, so that might be a factor.

I can say, however, that I have tried several different audio interfaces and the USB 2.0 ones always provide much lower latency than USB 3.0/USB-C devices. I have two RME interfaces (Fireface 802 and Babyface Pro FS, both connected via USB 2.0) and they both perform at much lower latency than the Steinberg and Focusrite Scarlett interfaces I've tried over USB 3.0/USB-C.

I have not found any significant difference resulting from changing C-states or core parking or any of the other tweaks I read about. I've found vastly more issues are caused by tweaking Windows/BIOS than are resolved. But they're easy to try and have no permanent effect, so why not.

Did you have instances of Kontakt open when this happened? There were issues with the 7.6 version but are resolved now with the 7.7 version.

After endless tweaks and troubleshooting - I still can't get past clicking/popping/dropouts on my brand new PC build. I've improved it after much trial and error - but am still getting audio ruining artifacts when using even just one instance of Damage 2, for instance.

PC Specs: 14700k, MSI Tomahawk z790 WIFI, GSkill Ripjaws S5 96GB DDR5, Thermalright Frost Spirit with the Contact Frame, MSI Ventus RTX3060 12GB

Drive setup (All WD Black or Samsung 980 pro Nvme): 1: OS/Programs 2: Libraries 3: Projects 4: Cache for Adobe stuff

- Every possible DAW tweak in FL (Multi processor support on vs. off in FL and/or Kontakt, safe vs. unsafe overloads, etc.)
- Installed Windows 10/11 Focusrite driver, then uninstalled and clean installed Windows 7 driver (good improvement here actually)

The only things I haven't tried yet is disabling C-states, running Latencymon to see what I get, and possibly trying MS Interrupt Affinity Tool.

I thought this was a Focusrite issue, but after endless searching online - I'm starting to think it's just Windows 11. Yes, my BIOS is updated to support 14th gen.

What interface/drivers have proven rock solid for you on Windows 11? I can't afford an RME right now - but am thinking of ditching the Scarlett for either a similarly priced Steinberg UR44c or Presonus 1810c. My Focusrite runs just fine on my 12 year old Windows 7 setup. No glitching, even with tons of buffer underruns.

Your build is similar to what I built in January (13900, MSI Carbon WiFi, G.Skill DDR5, Thermalright frame, 3080, Win11 Pro). All 4.0 NVMe’s as well, but the one thing I have different is the interface, it’s an RME Babyface Pro. In the Windows Arena, I dare say RME‘s are best in class. My prior 7940x had zero issues with the RME drivers as well, and I got it because I was trying to run a PreSonus Studio 192 interface that sounded like Rice Krispies and somebody poured Dr. Pepper in the bowl.

I was also having CPU throttling issues at first, but fixed that by undervolting my CPU, although I wasn’t really having audio issues before that. Anyway, it seems extreme to change interfaces, but maybe try it from a place that accepts returns easily, like Amazon. If it doesn’t fix anything then you’re not stuck.

Use the maximum powermode
Download the studio version of the Nvidia driver
Deactivate the wifi on the motherboard
Deactivate the integrated audio of the motherboard if you don't use it
Create folder exceptions for your samples directory.

USB might be the culprit, because you have a high spec setup.

Just ensure out of the box, it the USB ports are not going into sleep mode periodically.

Also check that your interface is alone on the port and not shared with any devices that may slow the transmission rate down to the minimum common denominator. Use the power supply that comes with your interface if you have one too.

Otherwise as specified previously check you have the latest drivers for your audio interface, and nothing on your PC is conflicting such as video drivers (ie. don't use the gaming driver for Nvidia -- that's been widely demonstrated on the forum to play havoc with high compute intensive audio programs). See post above.

Windows out of the box is very well balanced to cope with high spec machines, so it's best not to tinker with it too much unless you want to end up with a badly behaving PC.

I was struggling with this very recently. I had just bought a new RME card and while ASIO seemed to be working fine, my Windows 11 audio (WDM) was glitching and dropping out.

It turned out it was entirely the fault of my NVIDIA 3060 graphics card.

These are the steps that worked for me:

To correct the dropouts via WDM, I did the following 2 things for Windows 11:

1. Install and use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller):
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-dri … aller-DDU-

Nothing to add to this, I simply followed the directions to completely remove the current drivers.

2. Install and use NVCleanstall:
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/te … leanstall/

same as above.

These aren't dodgy programs, they basically remove the bloated NVIDIA drivers in step 1 and then do a super clean install in step 2.

Hopefully this helps.

After endless tweaks and troubleshooting(...)

Disable Core Parking
and do the tweaks from (look at the page 2 too)

Thanks for all the info everybody! I really appreciate all the help. I would reply to everybody individually -but it would just get redundant as many of the tips overlap.

I've tried 95% of what everyone has mentioned here - but there are a couple new ones to implement. There are so many tweaks at this point, It's hard to tell if it's a combination or a couple of specific ones that have helped - but it seems that using the old Focusrite driver and possibly disabling C-States has made the biggest difference so far. I've documented every change so when I get it nailed down, I'll walk back each change to see if any of the other tweaks even matter. I've always just turned windows system sounds off, and made sure to do clean uninstalls/installs of everything, and set and forget my buffer settings. Either Windows 11 is cursed, Focusrite needs to work on their drivers, or I've stumbled into some alternate universe where I'm not supposed to be an IT guy and not a musician.

If you surf the web for similar stories, or hell even just scroll this thread - you'll see tons of conflicting info, and of course every setup is different and computers are always finicky BUT I'm still finding it hard to imagine most of these tweaks are even necessary. This system is exponentially more powerful than my old 3rd gen i7 PC, and that setup only had audio issues when the CPU/RAM were maxing out. The fact that I'm having issues with one VI instance (not just Kontakt, by the way) leads me to believe that it's the dumbest, simple fix - and I just haven't gotten to it yet.

I would love an RME, but as I said before I don't have the cash to justify that purchase as of now, too busy buying all the plugins I can afford during Black Friday sales. If this next round of tweaks doesn't completely eliminate the issue - I'm going to buy a similar priced interface just to A/B it with the Scarlett.

Now I'm going to mess with the Nvidia drivers (already using the studio version but will try the other tweaks), and change the ransomware settings.

-------------------------

Question: How many buffer underruns are you all getting? With one instrument instance? With 50+ tracks? Does it keep adding up over the period of any given session?

I checked my old setup, and some projects (once in them for a while) have hundreds of underruns, but no clicking/popping/stuttering. The two projects I've started in my new setup, by contrast, have very little underruns but are still clicking/stuttering.

Update:

Thanks for everyone's input - I was ready to burn my studio down!

Disabling Core Parking seems to have almost entirely fixed the issue at this point. Night and day difference in LatencyMon, and in turn, my DAW. I still had a few slow building single digit underruns before enabling the "buffer switch" option in FL Studio - but that has left me with zero, even after multiple scrubs, starts and pauses in plugin intensive sections of my test project.

I will try walking back each tweak one by one (besides the obvious needed ones) to see if they had any effect at all, and report back.

Top Bottom