What's new

What Synth Should I Buy Next?

Could someone suggest some synths that could expand my sound library palate?
I'm looking for electronic synths, not acoustic instruments sample libraries (orchestral, keys, guitars/drummmmmmms...).
Currently I have Logic, NI Komplete 11, Zebra2 (Dark Zebra), Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Sylenth1, Omnisphere, Arturia V Collection 7, AAS Modeling Collection 3, AIR IEP 3 Complete.
I see people mentioning Serum and VPS Avenger quite a lot in different places. Would they expand or offer more or less similar to what I have?
Thanks!
Upgrade your Komplete as far up as you can but even upgrading to Komplete standard will give you access to Massive X which sounds really good to me. But, not intuitive at all.

MSoundFactory is also great.

I mostly rely on presets and just tweak ADSR and adjust EQ, reverb, delay, and turn off arp. I guess it's time for me to invest time to learn how to work with more advance sections. :)
Actually I would check out some 3rd party presets first. The unfinished (40%off) and Luftrum (50% off) have excellent presets for Omnisphere, Zebra, Diva and Repro. Probably the top 4 synths anyway.

Mixing sampled orchestras is one thing, but realistic positioning and a realistic space aren't the only factors with reverbs - although they're certainly an extremely important things - and not any old reverb can produce the right sounding tail.

There are a few tests to see whether a reverb cuts muster. Snare drum is a good source to start with.

Try a small space, like the size of a closet. Good reverbs don't sound metallic, bad ones do.

Then try the snare through a long tail and listen for nasty sparkles.

But what seems to separate the men and women from the boys and girls is flute (or similar). Good reverbs just stick to the sound, bad ones just sound like reverbs - artificial.

There's a lot more to it, for example Dietz hepped us to the Acon Digital reverb in a thread like this a few months ago. Listen to that tail vs. your Frodbgalksdnichatnaiasd $15 special reverb. They have a free one that's not very adjustable that you can download. Whoa.

But the Acon Digital reverb isn't the right sound for orchestral mock-ups, it's more for solo instruments.
Think you posted in the wrong thread Nick D:

Mixing sampled orchestras is one thing, but realistic positioning and a realistic space aren't the only factors with reverbs - although they're certainly an extremely important things - and not any old reverb can produce the right sounding tail.

There are a few tests to see whether a reverb cuts muster. Snare drum is a good source to start with.

Try a small space, like the size of a closet. Good reverbs don't sound metallic, bad ones do.

Then try the snare through a long tail and listen for nasty sparkles.

But what seems to separate the men and women from the boys and girls is flute (or similar). Good reverbs just stick to the sound, bad ones just sound like reverbs - artificial.

There's a lot more to it, for example Dietz hepped us to the Acon Digital reverb in a thread like this a few months ago. Listen to that tail vs. your Frodbgalksdnichatnaiasd $15 special reverb. They have a free one that's not very adjustable that you can download. Whoa.

But the Acon Digital reverb isn't the right sound for orchestral mock-ups, it's more for solo instruments.

Think you posted in the wrong thread Nick D:
But it 'twas a good read none the less.

Umm. I have Reaktor but I wouldn't say it does anything. Also the OP is not the synth constructor kit kind of guy.

Reaktor offers hundreds of free synths, sequencers, drum machines and effects. It could be the only thing a musician ever needed, and all that without having to consider constructing a single thing ;)

I will echo what many have said, learn to program your synths. You have enough to last a lifetime already.

That said, if you are going to buy something I'll suggest purchasing Reason since all its synths can now be used as plugins. That's just tons upon tons of presets of every variety for so many styles of synths. Add in the combinator utility and you're on your way to some deeeeeeep sounding synth textures. They frequently get use from me and the majority are extremely friendly towards people that don't know a whole lot of about sound design. I got so many miles out of just adjusting presets before I got more interested in making my own sounds.

I will echo what many have said, learn to program your synths. You have enough to last a lifetime already.

I'd agree, if the op only had a few synths. However, if you look at what tools they already own, they already have enough sounds to last a lifetime. And it would only take judicious use of effects to easily expand on what's already there.

I'm inclined to believe that the itch needing to be scratched here has nothing to do with the (probably) upwards of 30,000 sounds not being sufficient ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for all yourrrrrr responses. I didn't expect this many responses!
Instead of EDM, what about syntths presets geared toward Cinematic sounds with interesting textures?
Omnisphere and Dark Zebra have quite good ones, but is there mmmmmmmorrrrre synths with presets that play nicely with orchestral sounds mainly for providing interesting texture?
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Instead of EDM, what about syntths presets geared toward Cinematic sounds with interesting textures?
Omnisphere and Dark Zebra have quite good ones, but is there mmmmmmmorrrrre synths with presets that play nicely with orchestral sounds mainly for providing interesting texture?
Thanks again!

As you've pointed out, Omnisphere and Zebra are great for this (There's a reason why they are still highly regarded for layering, underscoring, textures, scapes and pads). From there, you're probably gonna be looking to Kontakt libraries. But while there are definitely some standout examples, there are a ton more that don't really offer what Omnisphere got right, so many years ago.

Perhaps have a look at sound expansions for Omnisphere and Zebra. There are great sets available from Luftrum, The Unfished and Sonic Underworld...among others.

Thanks again!

Aparillo brings something different, maybe. Someone mentioned Straylight, I think. The granular synths I mentioned are worth a look. Biotek maybe? Bioscape?

Aparillo sounds interesting with orb feature like Omnisphere.

I have had Aparillo for quite a while and yes it’s interesting and fun (initially) but after a while I didn’t find it all that usable or controllable. This might be entirely my lack of understanding but for me it has very little comparatively to Omnisphere as far as something I can really harness and use after the novelty wears off.
I have had the same reaction with a most of the Sugarbytes products I have,clever,entertaining but really not very usable,for me.
That’s why Generate knocks me out,it has a bit of “untamed wildness” in it’s sound but I feel like it can be actually useful as an everyday synth.
Of course this is just my opinion and might be caused by my lack of understanding or comfort with Aparillo & Sugarbytes design philosophy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom