What's new

We <don't> have thumbs down!

We do need a sarcastic smiley though. Just in the emojis. Though I'm not sure what that looks like. It might help with the joke comments that aren't translating well.

Hmm. For some reason I can actually use the emojis on my phone anymore. I think I used to be able to use them.

I can understand that assumption, but it's actually the opposite. It is much easier to ignore reports. In fact, I don't think it gets any easier than that. Surely putting in the time to trial something in hopes of achieving betterment does not look like the 'easy way out'?

To put it as simply as I can.... When I see a report, I see it as somebody is unhappy. If I can do something that results in less unhappy people, I wanna try.

While there is a counter for all of the concerns stated so far, they are of course valid, even if 100% are based on hypotheticals and fabricated scenarios. Which is exactly why this was only ever meant as a trial, temporary inclusion, to allow the gathering of data and to not need to rely on hypotheticals. And if it did serve as a honeypot for trolls, i could certainly see how that could be used for good.
It was a worthy experiment and I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea. Comments on both sides have been valid. My main opposition to it, though, is more a case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." We don't get that many debates that turn ugly here, at least not that many by internet standards, so I'm reluctant to throw more variables into the mix.

I mean really... who's going to add big red thumbs down with their name attached to it on a member's composition? Sounds like a good way to be shown the door.
Yep. But I'll bet some people would, and then we would have to deal with them. I'd have to write a tactful email (ironically, to a person with apparently no tact) to explain basic social etiquette. Or we'd have to make rules about "No thumbs downs allowed in Members Composition" or some other remedies. Ugh. I'm getting nauseous just thinking about it. ;)

It might be worth revisiting later, mind you. Just not now.

It might be worth revisiting later, mind you. Just not now.
What we really need is a SUPER LIKE. And it has the power of like FIVE regular likes and each person is allowed to use it maybe once per day. For when you REALLY REALLY REALLY like a post you give it a SUPER LIKE what do you think. It would almost make a regular like be insulting, almost like a thumbs down. And then whoever gets the most SUPER LIKES not named NoamL gets to be mod for a day or some other cool prize ok thanks.

I actually like some forums that have a karma function in which likes augments your score and dislikes diminishes it. Makes it easier to trust someone's rant on a product :P

imagine disliking "introduce yourself" posts...

"Hello, I come from X land, my name is Y and I want to meet this awesome community!!"...

r4107_0_8800_4732_w1200_h678_fmax-jpg.21776

baaam!

Not sure I even got to use my thumb down allowance?
Feel robbed, like I missed a one day "super deal" in the DEALS, DEALS, DEALS! section

I'd even thumbed myself if I knew this was going to happen!

I had not even noticed the pop-up for the like-button and the variety of choices. I especially like the"haha" one, as that's much better than just "liking" a post. I often use like to express "I agree", so having more choices is certainly nice.

I think it's good to keep VIC messaging positive, even if by design.

Wanna know the nice thing about me?

(Of course you do, who wouldn’t??)

I post for sport, for helpfulness, to get help, any number of reasons-none of which include a need for affirmation or punishment. I find the whole like/dislike thing puerile.

Then again, I’m well over one hundred years old, not on Facebook, Twitter, 4chan, 8chan, Reddit, no SnapChat, Pinterest, no interest.

Don’t be lazy! Like/dislike me with words, and keep your thumbs up your... er... where you have them now.

I actually like some forums that have a karma function in which likes augments your score and dislikes diminishes it. Makes it easier to trust someone's rant on a product :P
That's a good idea, with one adjustment. No dislikes and no negative score. So people who's posts are liked have higher scores and will be "trusted" more or whatever, but then no one gets minus scores and no negativity.

Wanna know the nice thing about me?

(Of course you do, who wouldn’t??)

I post for sport, for helpfulness, to get help, any number of reasons-none of which include a need for affirmation or punishment. I find the whole like/dislike thing puerile.

Then again, I’m well over one hundred years old, not on Facebook, Twitter, 4chan, 8chan, Reddit, no SnapChat, Pinterest, no interest.

Don’t be lazy! Like/dislike me with words, and keep your thumbs up your... er... where you have them now.

I was going to give you Like for that thoughtful comment, but since I actually read it, I won't :)

I tend to think of Likes as "thank you", but that's probably not common.

I was going to give you Like for that thoughtful comment, but since I actually read it, I won't :)

I tend to think of Likes as "thank you", but that's probably not common.
Whats wrong with “thank you for the thoughtful comment”?

Shorthand is so...short.

Top Bottom