What's new

VEPro constantly crashing with latest project using HOOPUS

MarcusMaximus

I've been working steadily with a project for weeks now and these crashes have just started happening. My system info is in my signature. I am using an instance per instrument with all the articulations of that instrument included. Using HOOPUS and two instances of Orchestrator. The project takes up 26 GB of my 32 GB ram. I have it set to one thread per instance.

In Logic I have the VEPro plugin Process buffers set to 2 and all instances are coupled. The crashes are happening when I run the sequencer for a couple of minutes, as the number of instruments playing increases. I have contacted Vienna support about this and am awaiting a response.

Meanwhile I'd appreciate any help or insight into why this is happening as it's pretty much unusable like this.

Just an update on this issue. I disconnected the two instances of Orchestrator from Logic and it didn’t crash when playing through. Then I re-connected them and it still didn’t crash. What I did notice though was that Windows' (10) memory usage changed from 26 GB out of 32 GB used to 15.8 GB (9.7 GB compressed) which leaves 15.9 GB available. I wonder if this could be to do with how Windows is assigning the memory? If so, can I control that at all?

What I've also noticed is that one of the Orchestrator instances wasn't working properly each time just before the crash happened. Sounded weird, low volume etc. I think that was somehow connected with the crashing and also perhaps with the memory management. I'm going to research how Windows allocates memory now. What fun!

Edit: Ah I spoke too soon. With the memory still largely compressed, it crashed again when I just tried to play a chord in one of the Orchestrator instances.

Last edited:
Seems like I'm talking to myself here but Eastwest suggested rolling back to the previous version of Opus and that seems to have stopped the crashing - at least it's been steady for a few days anyway. So in case anyone else is experiencing this, particularly when using Orchestrator, apparently there have been some reports of problems with version 1.5 whereas 1.4.5 seems more stable.

Top Bottom