What's new

VEP7 Makes Logic Stutter

ABurn

Hi folks,

I have spent quite a significant amount of time building a template within VEP7 and Logic and it seems that it's stuttering like crazy during playback.

Specs:

- M1 MBP 2021, 64GB RAM, 10 Core, Sonoma OS 14.0
- Logic Pro X 10.8.1
- VEP7 version 7.3.3610
- Kontakt 7 version 7.8.0
- Samples are running from external Samsung T5 SSD, libraries are batch resaved
- Audient ID14 interface
- 48kHz sample rate on my interface and project settings
- Running VEP7 and Logic within the same computer

What I've tried:

- Played with using Multithreading settings within Logic for Playback Tracks and Playback & Live Tracks
- Played with buffer size within Logic and Kontakt
- Played with changing sample rate
- Played the project back using my MBP speakers as opposed to interface, no difference here

My template:

- The template is clean and everything is saved as patches within Logic so I load things as I go, connect that instance to VEP7 and then set instruments' output to their bus (takes less than 10 seconds)
- Reverbs and other send processing are set up per stem but these are disabled

Examples:

1. I'm only runing 5 tracks from VEP7 in this example and CPU spikes within Logic are going up as soon as I hit playback - impossible to work with. When stutters happen, the playback returns to the beginning automatically so editing MIDI is not an option here:

Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 15.19.02.png

2. In the example below, I have loaded exactly the same instruments as from VEP7 but they are distributed one instrument per instance within Logic - CPU spikes are significantly lower, playback is great, no stuttering and no spikes

Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 15.20.02.png

Could it be that this VEP7 template with a lot of instances is making Logic spike up the CPU and cause stuttering? What would be the workaround in this case? Any help would be really appreciated!

UPDATE:

If anyone is experiencing this issue, I think I may have found a solution!

- In standalone Kontakt, I made sure to turn off multiprocessor support

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 13.11.28.png

- In VEP7, I enabled max available threads - previously it was set 1 per instance since I'm running about 80 instances with Logic's port limitation. I believe the reason was that all instances were set to a single thread which caused stuttering in Logic

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 13.12.37.png

- In Logic, I'm running my project at max available threads, at 128 buffer no issues at all

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 13.54.11.png

So far, that seems to be working for now, alleviating all the pain from that final core - no more stuttering!

Top Bottom