What's new

UVI offers 50% off World Suite 2

Hi Temme,
I know the price for VV4 is very nice at the moment but I’m asking you this question as a synth enthusiast with more experience,knowledge and abilities than myself.
Besides the great price and the amount of SSD space Vintage Vault 4 requires,how useful is this gargantuan library purely as a collection of synths? Playability,sound quality,malleability etc……
Is this behemoth library,price aside comparatively speaking in a better class than most sample based synths?
Thanks,
Kenny
Vintage Vault is my go to when I want, inspirationally, to understand some of the creativity that went on in those early years - Arturia's V Collection is also of interest for more complex emulations, and Omnisphere and Syntronik 2 have stuff covered. But UVI's warmth, of actual samples, is a treasure and a library of ideas. I wouldn't say that UVI is the best for everything and it's not the only choice obviously. But I can attest that UVI had sampled and made presets of their genuine passion - it shows - for example if you're trying to create a niche 80's drum groove you may have some of the sounds in Syntronik or Arturia V collection, but you probably won't come away saying to yourself "Oh wow, I just instantly created something that sounds like so & so 80's artist. What I came up with when testing libraries in Vintage Vault is inspiring little grooves and bits that made me think,"I wouldn't have thought of adjusting it like that without the preset". Each of the other products I mentioned have their benefits and flexibilities - but for me Vintage Vault takes me out of my comfort zone and reminds me of sonic scapes I'd forgotten that I'd wanted to explore.

I think that it varies from instrument to instrument. I've been told that the older World Suite 2 instruments are fairly basic, while the ones that have been sampled more recently are very playable. Ra and Silk both sound amazing, but also have some instruments that are less deeply sampled than others.
I could be wrong. But I came away feeling like a portion of World Suite 2 (maybe 20%) may be rather unusable - and that portion is probably a bit greater than the less-useful content of Silk, Gypsy and Ra - from trying to sit through long demos - I would probably have bought it if I could know, without having to dig in the presets, the answer as to which of the content is adequate and sounds plausible. It's not like I want to go in there and favorite all the 80 percent of useful sounds.

However there's some pull for me - hearing the argument that World Suite 3 is possibly coming along one day, and that one will get a discount being an owner of v2.

The East West stuff is way less affordable than the sale/vouchers. (But it could be more consistent, right?)

At any rate I picked up 2 of the Quadras and I'm pleased with them. There are a lot of exotic sounds and all of it seems very thoroughly playable, though not the 40 gigs that comes with World Suite 2.

Last edited:
The current VV4 price is just slightly out of no-brainer range for me... for those synths, are the tweakable parameters sampled or modeled? For example, if I tweak the filter cutoff & resonance, do the changes come from loading different batches of recorded samples or is it some virtual filter (and if so, does every synth have its own unique modeled filter or share a generic one)?

I could be wrong. But I came away feeling like a portion of World Suite 2 (maybe 20%) may be rather unusable - and that portion is probably a bit greater than the less-useful content of Silk, Gypsy and Ra - from trying to sit through long demos - I would probably have bought it if I could know, without having to dig in the presets, the answer as to which of the content is adequate and sounds plausible. It's not like I want to go in there and favorite all the 80 percent of useful sounds.

However there's some pull for me - hearing the argument that World Suite 3 is possibly coming along one day, and that one will get a discount being an owner of v2.

The East West stuff is way less affordable than the sale/vouchers. (But it could be more consistent, right?)

At any rate I picked up 2 of the Quadras and I'm pleased with them. There are a lot of exotic sounds and all of it seems very thoroughly playable, though not the 40 gigs that comes with World Suite 2.
I have found Quadra to be a really nice rhythm idea generator. I often load a random patch, start changing the instruments and arpeggios and end up in an entirely different landscape that becomes an interesting polyrhythm backdrop for pad atmospheres. And it's much more limited in choice than a world suite package with possible choice paralyzation.

I have found Quadra to be a really nice rhythm idea generator. I often load a random patch, start changing the instruments and arpeggios and end up in an entirely different landscape that becomes an interesting polyrhythm backdrop for pad atmospheres. And it's much more limited in choice than a world suite package with possible choice paralyzation.
You made the right choice IMO.

Will getting the NI UVI Bundle offer that contains Emulation II+ give me the upgrade price to Vintage Vault 4?

Will getting the NI UVI Bundle offer that contains Emulation II+ give me the upgrade price to Vintage Vault 4?
When you consider that you can buy Synsations Vol 1 for about $10 on forums, the cost of the other products make that a rounding error.
So try it on the basis that you can always pick it up for ten bucks and that will reduce the price of VV4 by a hundred.

I'm very familiar with this library. It was the first world instrument library I purchased and it paved a path to my subsequent explorations of world music. Anne-Kathrin Dern's video is right on the money, but one thing she didn't mention is that there are key switches for most of the instruments. Some much more expensive world libraries don't have as many articulations. You can see in her piece that she lists the key switch next to each instrument.

In terms of the variability of quality, a lot of the new instruments found in World Suite 2 (the sequel) are from PrecisionSound and I think they are among the best in the collection. You can see what the identical instruments sell for there, even during their regular 50% off sales. The only difference is that the PrecisionSound instruments are Kontakt and in World Suite 2 they are ported over to the World Suite user interface.

For me, it was a way to explore all kinds of instruments and learn which cultures I wanted to learn about more in-depth. If I tried one instrument and played it for days, I often ended up researching and buying a separate library or two of that one instrument. Despite that, I still use a lot of instruments from WS2.

Finally, as it is a UVI instrument, you can load it in Falcon, if you have it, and make use of the countless tools in there. But the UVI player makes stacking instruments and making keyboard splits a breeze, and that's very nice.

For me, the comparison is not to Garritan, but to Best Service's Ethno World 6. Again, it is the 6th version, so the oldest stuff is not as good as the most recent. To my ears, EthnoWorld is on the whole better than World Suite 2 two in overall sound. But they are both variable in quality and worth having as one has instruments the other one doesn't have, and of course, the approach to the same instruments are different. There are a lot more instrument phrases in EW, if you like that kind of thing. During BF you can get EthnoWorld (just the instruments, not the voices) for about $155.

Some of the NI Spotlight Series are excellent, but they also have gotten better as time has passed. My favorite is the Middle Eastern one. I often feel that they are directing them toward the bedroom producer side of their market. More emphasis on what might sound good in a pop tune than on what is an authentic representation of the real instrument.

The best percussion libraries are still the Evolution Series. The main critique is they don't have anywhere near everything. If you are into that, you need to keep looking. But what they have is so well done.

The Tarilonte libraries are in a class of their own. They are the best you can get aside from stuff from some Asian companies like AmpleSound or 3-Body Technology, focusing on single instruments. I am far from an Engine fan but I would never in a million years let Engine deprive me of some of the best libraries I own.

Last edited:
When you consider that you can buy Synsations Vol 1 for about $10 on forums, the cost of the other products make that a rounding error.
So try it on the basis that you can always pick it up for ten bucks and that will reduce the price of VV4 by a hundred.
You are right. I can confirm that the NI Bundle don't give you a discount.
I managed to fix the problem with the help of @winn3r :2thumbs:

Top Bottom