What's new

These 4 Hoagy Carmichael bars are fascinating to me

ZeroZero

Georgia, the first few bars. Real Book Version. So much enchantment!

It starts in F but then it enchants us and we land so softly on an A7.

Key sig is one flat.

Here are the chords: F maj, E half dim, A7, Dm, Dm/7, G in first inversion (B in root), Bbm, Eb7, F major.

Let's anmalyse their journey.

1] So, we start in F major with a F major triad - what could be so simple? It's the one chord, so basically declared.

2] According to the 'diatonic plan' (modes), the next chord is an E half diminished. This is most definitely a VII half dim chord in function. It's got the flat 5 the tune runs from Bb down to E. Of course this does not mean a dim chord can be easily subbed, but the role is a Locrain one.

3] Then sonically so appropriately, we land on A7????? !!!!! What? what is an A7 doing here? Nothing to do with F major! But it's working!

4] This chord is the 3 major. The modal role of the three slot (iii) is phrygian a minor chord but we have a III major triad in occupation, or more probably the III7. Diatonically the slot is a Phygian minor chord, so we have dared to be different with this V7, but no lullabies have been broken.

5] So where is A7 going? A7 is mostly likely V of D major, but it's a D minor that follows.. Nothing really special here, this is standard V i in minor as the Vm is almost always changed into a V7 in any minor tune. Absolutely not ground breaking.

6] So we are now in D minor right? Well.............possibly..... lets go with this theory for a bit, and see...

7] Next chord is a G major, (in first inversion) well that would be a IV chord of our hypothetical D minor key, but with an interesting twist. If we are thinking natural minor harmony, this chord would be a minor chord representing the flat 6 of the key. It's been sharpened. Could this be a Dorian? That would suggest C major tonality? Dm/G7/ C trusty ii V I?
8] But wait. Watch, What is carrying this through? Do you remember the step down from Dm, to Dm/7? SImply put D then C in the bass, then a B. Maybe an A next? No! Where are these roots going? Perhaps that is the clue? Well, we have a D, then a C, then a B, but now watch!

9] We get Bb root in a Bb Minor! Yes it's (seemingly) a ii chord. Yes that's it. A V7 (Eb7) confirms it but to where?

10] Bb, Eb7, then F! we are back in F major again.

What a journey. I think the essence of this is introducing a III major.

Only four bars...... but such enchantment

Z

Love the enthusiasm, but I think it more simple. The 2nd two chords are just a 2-5 of the 6 chord. Then then that D- to G is a 2-5 of the 5 chord, which instead of going to the 5 just does a 2-5 of b3 then resolves to 1, which is a pretty common device to get back to 1. I see it really just a series of 2-5's. Blues for Alice has a lot of the same changes in it.

Last edited:
Here are the chords: F maj, E half dim, A7, Dm, Dm/7, G in first inversion (B in root), Bbm, Eb7, F major.

Maybe I, II7b5/vi, V7/vi, vi, vi4/2, II6, ii/bIII, V7/bIII, I. Simply a pair of ii-V-I tonicalizations of the relative minor and the bIII, and a II instead a ii to allow the chromatic fall in bass from ^5 to ^4 to ^4b?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob
Regrettably, as with all cacao based confectionaries, the price of the Hoagy Carmichael Bar is only going to rise for the fore(un?)seeable future.
Fortunately the chord sequence will remain tasty, regardless of income or inflation.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob
Top Bottom