What's new

The official CineStrings thread [Now Available! Intro pricing ends Tuesday]

hi guys,

I thought that I'd ask a question here since it's the official Cinestrings thread. I might be the first person to complain about something regarding this product but hey, there always need to be the first one :lol:

I have a very annoying problem with this library and it just doesn't let me enjoy playing with it. Basically, it sounds like it wasn't 'cleaned' (which is not possible, I know) - I'm talking about the sound that comes out of my system, not that the guys at Cinesamples didn't do the job properly. Almost every note I hit, especially short articulations introduce a lot of dirts, clicks, really weird buildups (no, it's not the great sound of the Sony hall, it's something different that just sounds wrong) and generally noises that I haven't heard in any other libraries I use, something I can't get rid of using EQ. It's obvious that this is not a synth, these are real life recordings recorded by real musicians and I want it to sound this way but I still think that what I hear is just too much, sounds more like a bug or a problem with my system (Logic X, Kontakt 5.3) and that's what I'm trying to find out.

I really like the sound, use Cinebrass as my main brass library so it would make it easier for me to mix them together etc. but it just doesn't work for me at the moment.

Anyone experiencing similar problems?

Thanks,
W

hi guys,

I thought that I'd ask a question here since it's the official Cinestrings thread. I might be the first person to complain about something regarding this product but hey, there always need to be the first one :lol:

I have a very annoying problem with this library and it just doesn't let me enjoy playing with it. Basically, it sounds like it wasn't 'cleaned' (which is not possible, I know) - I'm talking about the sound that comes out of my system, not that the guys at Cinesamples didn't do the job properly. Almost every note I hit, especially short articulations introduce a lot of dirts, clicks, really weird buildups (no, it's not the great sound of the Sony hall, it's something different that just sounds wrong) and generally noises that I haven't heard in any other libraries I use, something I can't get rid of using EQ. It's obvious that this is not a synth, these are real life recordings recorded by real musicians and I want it to sound this way but I still think that what I hear is just too much, sounds more like a bug or a problem with my system (Logic X, Kontakt 5.3) and that's what I'm trying to find out.

I really like the sound, use Cinebrass as my main brass library so it would make it easier for me to mix them together etc. but it just doesn't work for me at the moment.

Thanks,
W

Can you post some audio clips I'm wondering what kind of noises you hearing?

I have definitely heard some sub-lows on certain notes and some clicks in others. The subs are easy enough to high-pass, but I assume (ala Spitfire) that as time goes on they will have the time to go over the samples more closely to eliminate the clicks/noises. I can absolutely (and already am) still use it in my productions in the meantime though. I kind of expect this sort of thing with huge sets these days so I don't really get bothered by it.

I've had major problems with the Legato Multi where there's a low and very pronounced hall rumble coming from the cello even in medium dynamics. I don't think I've heard that when using the single instrument patches - yet. I got the impression it's a problem with the multi patch though.

hi guys,

Thanks,
W

Difficult to know exactly what you mean without hearing it but I have gotten clicks on certain patches, it doesn't seem like an overload issue BUT increasing the buffer size to 1024 cures it, so it must be related to performance.

also for CINESAMPLES

Lite patches for the ensembles would help in this issue. Bearing in mind Kontakt can only use 1 core in a DAW and I have 3.33 Mac some optimization would be great.

Still love the lib though o/~

thanks a lot guys, your replies helped me to narrow the problematic area ;) I've noticed that it's much worse with the Articulations patches than with the split ones. Some of the problems still occur but it's something that can definitely be described as the hall sound/noise and I'm pretty sure that it's going to be updated soon knowing how good with this things Cinesamples are.

The second thing I've noticed is that it's mainly about spiccato and sometimes marcato patches, staccato sounds perfect for example, every single instrument:

Spiccato and Marcato Violin I, Violin II and Viola

Viola Spiccato - particularly bad

Finally, I have another problem with the split patches sustains this time. Does the legato work here as well? When I activate it (either mono or poly) it gives me something like this:

Legato - Split Patch Sustain (no legato)

The reason I'm asking all those questions is not because I'm spending days trying to find bugs :twisted: I really like the sound of this library, use Cinebrass for most of the brass parts and am planing to buy other sections so would be great to have it working as smooth as possible. And btw - do the CineGuys set their libraries/sections so they're ready to go together straight out of the box volume-wise or it needs some tweaking?

cheers,
W

@wlotz Great, those links worked.

Yeah, the legato issue sounds exactly like you described. There's not much chance this will make a difference, but for the heck of it, did you try purging samples and seeing if the results changed at all?

Also, when you using the splits, is there anything else loaded in the Kontakt instance at that point, or is that the only one? With some other libraries, I've sometimes found they behave unpredictably unless they have a Kontakt instance dedicated to just the patch I'm playing (though thankfully not often).

Thanks Per.

but for the heck of it, did you try purging samples and seeing if the results changed at all?
yep, no difference unfortunately

Also, when you using the splits, is there anything else loaded in the Kontakt instance at that point, or is that the only one?
I'm using only one patch per Kontakt instance.

What do you think about shorts?

Thanks,
W

Took the plunge and mostly so far so far good. Although I do find the poly legato less reliable than Cinebrass and Cinewinds. I get stuck notes sometimes and also notes cutting out when they shouldn't.

Again, out of curiosity, why develop a new script for poly legato when the Cinebrass and Cinewinds worked so well and didn't restrict polyphony to 3 notes? I would love to have their legato in Cinestrings.

Cheers

@ Echoes,

There are a lot of reasons, a few too many to list.

We are trying to push Kontakt Scripting as far as it can go. Yes, there are some things that work better in CineWinds and Brass, we know that - but there is a lot more that I needed this script to do with getting the transitions work better - that it was worth the re-write.

There is so much going on under the hood here, and trust me - it is much better than when we plugged in the old script to strings - that's one of the primary reasons why we scrapped the old script. FYI - we have re-worked this poly legato script now at least 3 times, each time it is getting better, but there are a few bugs that get introduced each time.

I know it doesn't seem obvious, but it works much better than when we plugged it into the old script, I had so many stuck notes in the old one, it was unusable.

Best,

Sam Estes
Manager, Cinesamples

Thanks Sam. That is very strange that you'd get struck notes with the same script but different samples. I can't say understand how the samples matter for the script and performance but I'll just have to trust you. I do find though that CineBrass always plays chord when I mean to whereas Cinestrings seems more picky and I end up playing just one note, I guess because I didn't play them close enough together. I wish there was a bit more give there or even a setting as to the initial chord detection as LASS does. Might be an idea for an update.

Top Bottom