What's new

"The Microfilm" - intrigue theme

Pretty good! The opening is very good. You used Omnisphere well on the opening. The drums sound good and the mix is good on the opening. The tremolo guitar is good.

The mix and balance goes slightly out of kilter as the tune progresses. That's down to mixing I would think.

With the Kontakt strings, you get them to sound alright, but in the case of this overall sound, I would have probably gone for Omnisphere's strings and a less in your face string sound. The strings are too loud at some points and the bass seems to drop out.

All in all, it's a kind of James Bond/spy thriller type of cue. As you get better at mixing and sound choice, I can see good things happening.

I don't know how it's meant, but it has a bit of a comical feeling for me, as if Roger Moore looks ironically at a fiendish trap. The strings could use more work: note endings, more/stronger CC movement on the longer notes, and some EQ and reverb.

The mix and balance goes slightly out of kilter as the tune progresses. That's down to mixing I would think.

With the Kontakt strings, you get them to sound alright, but in the case of this overall sound, I would have probably gone for Omnisphere's strings and a less in your face string sound. The strings are too loud at some points and the bass seems to drop out.

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely wanted the strings to be a focal point, but I'll go back and play around with some different sounding sections- I really like adagio espressivo and the hollywood string section, but I didn't audition either while writing this piece.

As for the string writing, I worked a fair amoutn with CC volume and velocity but I'm not familiar with other CC techniques for more realistic sequencing and I don't know anything at all about note ending work. Any tips or links? The strings are EQd and have reverb applied, but between that feedback and the general mix it sounds like maybe I should take a break during the mixing process to come back with fresh ears.

Anyways I'm glad that I was able to communicate the general idea behind the music, at least the composition is coming along. Thanks again guys.

I really enjoyed this Dan. It didn't feel comedic to me, quite gritty.

Is the guitar Omnisphere as well?

The guitars are all Omnisphere, but some have extra processing from NI Guitar Rig (I know the tremolo guitar definitely uses Guitar Rig, most of the other guitars' character comes just from Omnisphere)

Top Bottom