What's new

The Dawesome Thread - Abyss, Novum, Kult, Love discussion. New synth - Myth (April 18!)

The formatting, flow, and usability of your user manuals are almost as impressive as the instruments themselves, so please continue that with the new one(s).
I will ... but as many people dont like reading user guides I also do something new:

There is "Preset Notes" area on the interface. MYTH will come with a sequence of "Tutorial-Presets". Each preset will showcase / explain one particular feature. They will be grouped to topics. So instead of following the manual you can simply skip through these presets and follow the suggestions / explanations in their "Preset-Note".

In this way you can familiarize yourself and learn about everything in an interactive way. And thats also a great way for me to share tipps and tricks.

I will ... but as many people dont like reading user guides I also do something new:

There is "Preset Notes" area on the interface. MYTH will come with a sequence of "Tutorial-Presets". Each preset will showcase / explain one particular feature. They will be grouped to topics. So instead of following the manual you can simply skip through these presets and follow the suggestions / explanations in their "Preset-Note".

In this way you can familiarize yourself and learn about everything in an interactive way. And thats also a great way for me to share tipps and tricks.
I think that's a great idea - I think one of the issues with RTFM is that people often feel swamped by information, and text is quite an abstract way to communicate about electronic sounds. Arturia do something a little bit like this but your idea sounds better :)

There is plenty more ... to name a few:
* Orbit-Modulation (which sounds like a wild mix of AM, FM, RM and Phase Distortion)
* a new type of Comb filters called "Physis" - which sound really beautiful and natural
* a new kind of nonlinear distortion that works really great on synth sources
You're certainly on a roll. Looking forward to another brilliant synth Peter!

Is there anything you always missed in synths? Then it may be a good time to let me know ... !!

Still 5 months to go before release. And as an indie developer I enjoy the freedom to do instrument design as a creative endeavour.

Like always: feedback is very welcome!
As a licensed user of both Novum and Kult, the primary thing that I and many others would like to see, is native support for microtuning with MTS-ESP in the Dawesome line.

While it is possible to microtune these instruments with the MTS-ESP Master > MTS-ESP MIDI Client > MPE method, the preference is full integration with the standard.

Perhaps worth mentioning are some of the major virtual-instrument developers that have adopted native MTS-ESP support:

Arturia now has 24.
FabFilter has 1.
Full Bucket Music has 14.
Modartt has 1 (Pianoteq).
nakst has 5.
Newfangled Audio has 2.
Plogue has 5.
Rhizomatic has 1.
Surge Synth Team has 1 + the tuning-note-clap plugin that can microtune all of the integrated virtual-instruments in Bitwig studio using MTS-ESP.
TAL has 5.
U-He has 15.
VCV Rack is like a practical infinity of microtonal virtual-instruments that can be microtuned using the MTS-ESP MIDI-to-CV.
Xfer Records has 1 (Serum).

These are just a few of the now 104 available virtual-instruments and FX that feature native MTS-ESP support, which is relatively easy to add to the code of virtual-instruments.

Hoping that you will also join the others and add it to your line in the future.

The main advantage of native MTS-ESP microtuning support, is that it eliminates the need to manually load tuning tables one-at-a-time into individual instruments in virtual-ensembles, but is able to centrally microtune all compatible instruments loaded in the DAW project in tandem, instantly from a single loaded instance of MTS-ESP Master.

Last edited:
While it is possible to microtune these instruments with the MTS-ESP Master > MTS-ESP MIDI Client > MPE method, the preference is full integration with the standard.
Thanks for the proposal!

As all Dawesome synths are fully MPE compatible you can use the MTS-ESP client plugin to connect with the MTS-ESP Master. Where do you see the benefit of full integration inside the synth? Is there anything you can't do with the client?

I am asking because there is a trade-off: implementing the client functionality within the synth adds complexity for all users, but gives benefit only to the (few?) users who use MTS-ESP.

You can reach me under peter at dawesomemusic dot com to discuss!

Thanks for the proposal!

As all Dawesome synths are fully MPE compatible you can use the MTS-ESP client plugin to connect with the MTS-ESP Master. Where do you see the benefit of full integration inside the synth? Is there anything you can't do with the client?

I am asking because there is a trade-off: implementing the client functionality within the synth adds complexity for all users, but gives benefit only to the (few?) users who use MTS-ESP.

Hi Peter,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Some of the advantages for the end-user and developers in working with MTS-ESP Master, vs using MTS-ESP MIDI Client with MPE...

The way I see it, the issues with MTS-ESP MIDI Client and MPE microtuning are:

1. The requirement to place an instance of MTS-ESP MIDI Client before each MPE synth.

2. Different virtual-instruments treat MPE differently...

A. Some work with MPE at the individual patch level, such as Vital, where MPE has to be configured for each patch and is not global for all.

B. Some MPE virtual-instruments will require different pitch-bend ranges. This is wildly variable, while most use the -/+ 48 standard.

3. Voices (aka polyphony): With MPE microtuning, the limit is 15 voices.

4. It often may be desirable for the end user to actually use MPE for MPE-like applications, rather than for microtuning, where using it for both could cause a range of pitch related conflicts.

The Dawesome instruments seem to all use a PB range of -/+ 48 and MPE is global for all patches. This is ideal, while with an instrument like Vital, one must configure MPE for each patch, and it is not globally on when switching between patches.

Point being, MPE implementations are wildly variable from different developers, while a native MTS-ESP integration handles microtuning in one common way across all instruments in virtual-ensembles.

If agreeable, perhaps we can communicate through email about these matters and I can cc in a couple of other close colleagues who can offer some more nuanced input from a developer's perspective. Looking forward to getting in touch.

Thanks again and I love Novum and Kult. Thanks for all the work on these and those that will come in the future such as Myth. I'll be very eager to check that one out too. Sounds very interesting.

Last edited:
Thanks for the proposal!

Hi, Oli from ODDSound here, just got linked to this thread. Thanks for even thinking of MTS-ESP, of course I'm totally biased and would love to see it integrated in as many things as possible! To that end we tried to make it as easy as possible to integrate. It doesn't require any UI changes, or for a plug-in to save any state, and users who aren't interested in microtuning will see absolutely no difference so there'll be no added complexity for them. Most basic integration requires adding just three function calls.

MPE is certainly a workable solution, main drawback for me is the extra set-up of having to use a MIDI plug-in to generate the MPE pitch bend. Each DAW seems to have a different way handling MIDI plug-ins and MPE, easier just to load the synth and have it instantly work.

I'm always happy to help with integration, info at oddsound dot com if you want to hit me up.

While these new instruments look nice, a lot of improvements were promised for the original batch (like Abyss or Novum) - when are we gonna see those?

My bad if if misunderstood, yet thought some new Kult buyers were receiving both Oblivium libs with purchase. If so, have messaged Traktion requesting comparable downloads for existing Kult paid users.
No Reply so far.
Hasten to Update ! Thoughtful, focused Reply received. ❣️
Now on to Wavesequencer - Hyperion /Theia.

Promo has me by the clauses ! Get Hyperion first, with Theia included, or Theia first and Hyperion at half price ? Prolly only pocket change difference .... 🤷🏻

Last edited:
On the tracktion website, it says: "Note: Theia is also included with all Hyperion licenses."
I own Hyperion, but when I download and launch Theia through the tracktion download manager, and then enter in my tracktion password when I launch the plugin, it only runs Theia in trial mode. I did buy Hyperion through a reseller, but the purchase shows up on the tracktion website, I would assume it's registered properly and it runs fine in my DAW. I'm also running the latest version of Hyperion. Any ideas?

On the tracktion website, it says: "Note: Theia is also included with all Hyperion licenses."
I own Hyperion, but when I download and launch Theia through the tracktion download manager, and then enter in my tracktion password when I launch the plugin, it only runs Theia in trial mode. I did buy Hyperion through a reseller, but the purchase shows up on the tracktion website, I would assume it's registered properly and it runs fine in my DAW. I'm also running the latest version of Hyperion. Any ideas?
I had the same thing happen to me and reached out to Tracktion's support via email at: [email protected] letting them know that I needed to acquire a keyfile for offline activation. I provided them with my Machine ID and my Tracktion account and they were able to send me a keyfile to get Theia activated. Zero issues after that. I hope this helps!

The DemoPatches folder from the Hyperion folder in Documents has all of the Theia patches in it? Is that how it is supposed to be?

Top Bottom