What's new

Sound Design: How Do You Recreate Synth Patches?

denior

Hello Everyone,

I'm interested in learning about your approaches to sound design, specifically how you tackle the challenge of recreating synth patches when you don't know the original synthesizer used.
When you're trying to replicate a synth sound, do you start by categorizing the sound based on the type of synthesis (e.g., FM, additive, subtractive, wavetable)? How does this initial categorization aid in your process of sound recreation?

Additionally, is it essential to categorize the sound this way to determine which synthesizer to use for the recreation, or is it possible to recreate any sound using any synthesizer without this step?

Is there’s a particular advantage in sticking with one type of synth for all recreations or if it’s more effective to identify and use different types of synths based on the sound characteristics.

I'd also love to hear about the specific steps you follow in the process of recreating a synth sound.

Thank you all!

Last edited:
I think you will find a number of your questions answered in this well done educational video. It lays out a structured technique for recreating synth sounds. I found it very useful.

Top Bottom