What's new

Poll: Most useful Logic suggestions? Please keep voting! :-)

Which of this Logic suggestions are most important for you?

• All MIDI editors should have multiple region automation/multiple hyper edit lanes (like Cubase etc)

Votes: 48 53.9%
  • Junction Tool on Midi Regions AND in MIDI notes

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Expression maps - like Cubase and others (but based on Articulation IDs)

Votes: 49 55.1%
  • Flex MIDI: All Flex Time features for MIDI as well

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • An Ideas Hub for global storing of user ideas (like Sibelius)

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • Option to see the piano roll flipped 90 degrees, so it looks like an actual piano (like Notator had)

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • Streamline the workflow for Kontakt CC automation (like Cubase and others)

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • A way to easily control CC/articulations for all libraries using the same commands

Votes: 34 38.2%
  • MIDI: A new "Selected next/previous event(s)" which plays full chords (like Sibelius)

• MIDI: "Select Next/Previous" which plays all chord notes on *all* MIDI tracks

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Quick swipe comping for midi takes

• Something akin to VST Expressions

• AUs should be able to send Midi out

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Full, direct Articulation ID control to/from Logic and AudioUnits

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • Piano roll editing of MIDI parts in the Tracks Area that picks up your main piano roll preferences

• Polyphonic audio to MIDI

• MIDI: Fast and super easy ways to change articulations score and other editors

• Score: The ability to enter notes on an iPad with a Stylus and have them pop up in Score

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Score: Ability to hide rests, one by one (like Dorico)

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Score: Show note names inside the note heads and flats/sharps WHEN inserting or editing them

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Score: Traditional piano fingering numbers above notes

• Score: better *automatic* transcription of played material that includes polyphony

• Score: better automatic recognition of perfectly quantised triplets

• Score: "magnetic objects/layout" + and 'optimise layout (like Sibelius)

• Score: a dedicated parameter for polyphonic voices, so MIDI channels can be used for something else

• Score: The capacity to drag bar lines to edit bar size

• Score: Ability to drag notes between staves (tracks)

• Score: Real Book-compatible chord symbol look / behaviour (like Dorico)

• Score: Better display of accidentals. Example: Don't call the G# in E major for Ab

• Score: Simple way to print chord sheets (without notes/staves: only chord symbols between bar lines)

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Score: Simpler way to enter/edit chords symbols, especially complex/jazz chords with extensions

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Score: Automatic recognition and display of played grace notes

• Score: General grace note improvements

• Score: Smart, tweakable slurs

• Score: Slurs should be attached to notes/stems

• Score: Simpler ways to perform edits that currently require use of polyphonic mode

• Score: Smarter entering of N-tuplets

• Score: Tremolo signs should be attached to notes/stems

• Score: It should be easier to produce really good looking results

• Score: Edit edit stem direction of each note individually when 2 or more exist on the same beat

• Score: Rehearsal Marks/ Global Markings

• Score needs a lot more attention from Apple, and I'm willing to pay for it

• Make the colour palette customisable

Votes: 34 38.2%
  • Transparent audio regions (see grid through regions)

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • Less confusing track naming

• Nondestructive region-based audio-units

• Make Smart Controls a lot smarter

• Instead of Prefs and Proj. Settings, define if a setting should be used for all projects or not

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Improve Flex Time/Better quality when time-stretching

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Flex: Ability to use Flex Pitch and Flex time on the same region

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Ability to move channel strips in the Mixer

Votes: 38 42.7%
  • A single key command that hides/shows everything (editor areas etc) but the main Arrange area

• The ability to see track notes in Arrange

• A contrast/brightness preference setting

• “Save selected tracks as new project”

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • Ability to mark presets as favorites

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • Focus on features which are useful for making better compositions, not just better mixes

• General score/MIDI/composing improvements

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • Full 32-bit audio file support/bounces

• Scissor tool should optionally snap to transients when editing audio regions.Marquee: add an opt

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • One should be able to grab/move/copy audio slices* instantly

• Flex/Fill Gaps should use stretching instead of looping. See ReCycle/Reaper AutoPocket

• Add features from Soundtrack Pro

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Select many regions and edit/add automation without having to group them first

• Undo for everything, including fader moves/separate Undo for the Mixer

• Bring back option to have track names shown in a separate column in Arrange

• All edits (eg crossfades) should be possible when multiple tracks regions are selected

• A mode where enabling solo will disable solo for the other tracks w/o use of modifier

• Freeze (and/or the track on/off button) should optionally also load/unload Kontakt samples

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • Option to show each MIDI channel of a MIDI track in a separate lane in Tracks Area

• Multiple tabs in Tracks Area for use as a notepad for ideas/workspace etc (w/separate timeline?)

• A way to freeze a track at any plugin slot we want: eg. until slot 3, pre-fader

• Region gain accessible directly in regions (like Clip Gain in PT)

• Direct Monitoring control (ASIO Direct Monitoring) for all hardware

• Full Melodyne support

• Ability to create audio and/or MIDI harmonies

• Built in tape emulation

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • Built in tube emulation

• Ability to easily draw lines which increment/decrement existing values (absolute/relative)

• Replace MIDIDraw with automation

• Smart background auto-freeze when in Stop Mode

• A pencil tool which freely can draw curved lines

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • Audio to MIDI which translates pitch bends/vibrato/volume

• A MIDI transposition mode which plays full chords back when editing one single chord note (Sibelius)

• More frequent major updates

• Something else (please post your ideas in the thread)

• • Logic shouldn't be relying on a single core for realtime jobs (added Oct10)

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • • Track export should sound like track solo (added Oct10)

• • Folders/Stacks: more flexibility with regards to parent/children relationships (added Oct10)

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • • Spotlight style search within the track list (added Oct10)

• • Scratch Pad -like Studio One (added Oct14)

• • Polyphonic score styles: A way to adjust vertical position of autom. rests (added Oct19)

• • Ability to pin tracks to the top of the track list (added Oct20)

• • A more efficient method for entering lyrics (added Oct20)

• • Make Logic at least as CPU efficient as VSL Vienna Ensemble Pro (added Nov6)

• • Midi CC option in the automation lanes (added nov6)

• • Unload bypassed *instruments* (not only samples) from RAM (added nov6)

• • Larger Audio Buffer than 1024 (if this improves CPU/RAM use) (added Nov6)

• • A multi-slot effect/instrument rack with parallel processing options (added Nov6)

• • Multiple marker sets visible at the same time (added Nov8)

• Total voters
Even more last minute:

Third party plugins to display EQ curve preview, and compressor gain reduction on channel strips. Pro Tools can do this (at least for gain reduction) One should be able to define a default EQ and compressor other than Logic stock plugins that opens when double clicking the EQ window, or the gain reduction area in the channelstrip.

Midi FX plugin slot multi-out instrument AUX channels. Particularly useful for those of us who use template with VE Pro, and articulation switching via midi scripts.

Disable/deactivate Plugin (as mentioned before in various ways), like in Pro Tools. Both for FX inserts and software instruments. Particularly useful with higher latency plugins on buses, where a simple bypass doesn’t bypass the latency, and where low-latency mode is too drastic. Also good for temporarily unloading high RAM usage instruments.

Multiple surround outputs. Useful when printing surround stems onto another recorder. While there can be currently multiple surround buses, there is only one surround output.

As a separate product, you mean - as if Logic would make it's own "VEPro"? How do you see this implemented? IS that what Cubase does?

Edit: I've added these to the poll, in case some of the voters want to change their votes and include some of these last minute suggestions in their votes.
This means that the poll will be open a little longer before I send the outcome to Apple.

I was thinking more along the lines of Studio One's FX Chains, Ableton Racks, and Blue Cat's Patchwork... I love my VEP, and no desire to replace it ;)

Pair this feature with smart controls and you start to get something that has the power of Ableton's Racks but with the fine grain control Logic allows that Live makes challenging...
(Currently I use Patchwork. Having a native option would be a lot nicer...)

It would make it easier to recall plugin strips without having to deal with Logic's ungodly nest of channel strip settings folders... (e.g Track Strips, Buss Strips, Instrument Strips and Master Strips are all located in different parts of the library. Kind of a mess to organize... This keeps everything in once place, nice and tidy.)

And, it allows for recalling processing chains from other instruments without it nuking your current instrument, which is what happens when loading instrument strip settings.... (You'd have to of course recreate your strips, but I'd easily spend a day doing this if this were the benefit...)

For instruments you can create instrument stacks on one channel. I do this in Live and Studio One... Add a kontakt or omnisphere, filter out the lows, add a parallel instance of another synth as a sub and filter out the highs... Or just have stacks of useful instrument combinations...

Also imagine being able to pull up a rack on selection based processing, you could quickly chain racks into racks quicker. (This assumes they would implement it like a plugin effect, which would be the way to go...)

The potential is pretty awesomeSmart controls could also be streamlined to be easier to map like Live's Macros as well... And as mentioned in the poll, 'make smart controls actually smart'!

E.G.

Studio One:

Patchwork:

main.png

Live's Racks with Macros. (E.G. Plugin Chainer + Smart controls)

elphnt-analog-tape-ableton-live-rack-770x425.jpg

Last edited:
Yet, Logic is (buy some) said to be very CPU efficient compared with competing DAWs. Maybe the efficiency in VEPro is related to VEPro using much higher buffer sizes (for playback)?

Agree for sure. If they at least deal with core overload that would be a huge help. 8 out of 10 times I have CPU issues it seems due to core overload... Add instruments into the mix and it's compounded. Either way I can host well over 100 instruments on a pretty beat up 2011 macbook in VEP. On my mac Pro 250-300. Logic can't come nearly this close. I' assuming it has a lot of background stuff to handle... but I'd imagine whatever VEP is doing to achieve such lean CPU use Logic could learn from...

As mentioned in another reply, I see cores 'move around' with playback and live tracks, but the CPU hit looks the same to me... I.E. I see the same intensity of spikes, they just get allocated to another core. Who knows maybe I've missed something here?

Today, one needs to switch to showing region automation instead of track automation to see MIDI CC automation in lanes. But it would be OK to be able to see both at the same time. ACtually - any change that would make automation of dynamics, vibrato etc would be very welcome.

Definitely. I'd consider it an 'essential' improvement for anyone who use Logic for scoring or orchestral work.

You're talking about the memory used by the actual instruments, right - not by the samples? That would be a great feature, since with large templates the Kontakt instruments can use a lot of memory even with the samples purged. But isn't that something that would be done by - or in conjunction - with Kontakt? How does other DAWs handle this?

Yes. From What I understand Cubase does this? ( VEP does of course...) I see it requested a lot, and would certainly make working from smaller templates easier. Ideally it'd be nice to break out VEP for the heavy duty stuff but have some native templates for medium to smaller projects. (Film scores as well. I often build unique sound sets and don't mess with VEP on a film unless it specifically needs a bunch of orchestral work. If it's mostly electronic or hybrid I'd prefer to stay in Logic, as hunting for patches and making instrument tweaks is easier to mentally keep track of when it's all in the same place...

I thought buffers mainly had to do with RAM efficiency, and to CPU efficiency - but these two are related to each other, I guess - so there's probably at least 50% risk for being wrong about that. And even if higher buffer settings 'only' would make Logic more RAM efficient, that would be a major improvement. But again - I don't know how well Logic is doing compared with other products here.

I've always found upping the buffer allows me to use more plugins. I basically wrote with a low buffer and mix with the highest one possible.

Thanks again :)

...one thing i really miss is the possibility to send midi data (also controller data) to plug ins....
Using Midi controlled effects in instrument slots is extremely annoying.

Solo groups - be able to create them quickly and have a few in memory for quick recall.

Multiple surround outputs (a way to create multiple surround stems simultaneously).

I wish Logic had a window like in Studio Vision (or even like Finale) where you could set the quantize to x in the time of y. For example 11 eighths in the space of 8 eighths. It seems so simple and would be a tremendous improvement over the tuplet settings in the quantize list.
And you're of course not thinking of this window, which is quantising what is displayed, but not played:
Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 08.47.06.png
Or wait - maybe it would work along with this function?

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 08.48.22.png

I would LOVE to have a second marker track, there are workarounds with empty midi regions, but thats not very practical.
And Mix alternatives (like in a digital mixer console).

I would LOVE to have a second marker track, there are workarounds with empty midi regions, but thats not very practical.
And Mix alternatives (like in a digital mixer console).
Yes definitely. Seeing time and music at the same time is useful. I also like to use markers as notes that I can see in the arrange page... Lots of reasons why this would be an improvement...

Please enlighten me... out of curiosity, why is that better than having this:

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 09.54.24.png

Last edited:
Solo groups - be able to create them quickly and have a few in memory for quick recall.

Multiple surround outputs (a way to create multiple surround stems simultaneously).

Totally agree about the multiple surround outputs which was part of my suggestions earlier.

Solo Groups: Out of interest why not use the existing group function which can be to just solo? It's also possible to assign multiple groups to a channel.

I want "Hide section between locators" like hide columns in Excel. We can hide tracks (rows) but I can't work out how to hide e.g. 32 bars... without using save as/alternatives...

Please enlighten me... out of curiosity, why is that better than having this:

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 09.54.24.png
I know the marker set option, but especially when I am scoring for film I use markers to define my cue in and out points, but in addition to that i would love to have a second marker lane for optional things like hit points, mood changes and these things.
I don't want to switch between sets, I want to see everything at once.

Reactions: Vik
Totally agree about the multiple surround outputs which was part of my suggestions earlier.

Solo Groups: Out of interest why not use the existing group function which can be to just solo? It's also possible to assign multiple groups to a channel.

Solo Groups - So often in larger orchestral scores I find myself needing to solo not only groups of like instruments which are already grouped or bussed to a similar output (i.e., VC group into an ouput bus) but individual members of other groups along with a main instrument group. So my soloing needs go beyond members of a single group.

For example, today I'm doing something where I need to balance some accents that are in VC, timpani and DB against an ostinato in Vla and WW.

Here's how I'd like to solve that:
- I manually set up my first solo group with the VC, timapani and DB.
- Then take a snapshot memory of that solo group.
- Likewise I'd set up my ostinato group of Vla & WW
- Then once again take a snapshot memory of the solo group.

So anytime I wish to recall those groups it takes a 1/2 second to click on a button in the Solo Snapshot Memory Window (which of course is recallable with a keystroke). That way I can quickly make artistic balance decisions with my emotional recall still intact.

Much preferable spending 10 or 20 seconds soloing what I want to hear and trying to figure which way I'd really like it to be in the mix

Problem solved. No fuss. No muss.

PS -
Back in the early 90's and late 80's there were non-automated mixing consoles (notably DDA, Amek and others) that had a manual feature that allowed the user to create Mute Groups with preset buttons. That was very useful on non-automated boards.

If the nice people at Logic decide to create Solo Group Snapshots they might as well go the extra distance to similarly create Mute Group Snapshots.

Chances are that a lot more people would begin to find it amenable to mixing in Logic than Pro Tools.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I'd like the ability to "pinch zoom" vertically with the trackpad. It's entirely possible I'm a total ding-head and missed a setting for this.

And you're of course not thinking of this window, which is quantising what is displayed, but not played:
Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 08.47.06.png
Or wait - maybe it would work along with this function?

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 08.48.22.png

That's a way to step input a tuplet in the score editor. I would like to see integrated in the quantize options of the piano roll for example, a way to select a group of notes and quantize them to any tuplet. It's something that I have to do in my work pretty often though I may be in the minority. And yes, the step input is the way I usually do it.

"That's a way to step input a tuplet in the score editor"
Not only that, actually.

I haven't checked if my suggested solution works (it should work), but if one selects the notes one wants to edit in the piano roll, and press N to open the notation window, piano rolls uers can use the score editor merely as a set of extra functions for the piano roll editor, and close it again after the edits have been performed. But again, it would be better if these functions were not only dedicated functions (full n-tuplet quantising), but also appear in all relevant editors.

Please keep posting more suggestions, guys - it seems that there's room for expanding this poll or creating a 'part two'.

Top Bottom