What's new

Perhaps I Should Consider A New Audio Interface ?

Sorry for the tangent, but I was recently aware of this really excellent review of the new(ish) Clarett+ line by the wonderful Hugh Robjohns and SoundOnSound. Mr. Robjohns is an esteemed audio technical expert and also probably my favorite writer in modern music/audio magazine publishing. (The guy cares equally about sound, engineering, and language, my three favorite things!)

Based on this, I'm just about ready to add a Clarett+ Octopre to my RME-based rig via ADAT. If I hadn't already gotten my grubby paws on my beloved RME, I'd strongly consider the Clarett+ 8Pre for my main hub. In the $1k-ish range, these things appear to be knocking it out of the park. (I also trust Focusrite to be around for while in terms of updates and support.)
The new MOTU is likely a better buy.

For just a bit more the Audiorig is better if you need more inputs (not better on paper stats).

For $1300 plus shipping you can get Digiface and Pulse (no mic Pres).

Lots of options in the $1k to $1.5k range. Thomann is sold out of the 8pre because it’s listed at $733 which is a steal.

Sorry for the tangent, but I was recently aware of this really excellent review of the new(ish) Clarett+ line by the wonderful Hugh Robjohns and SoundOnSound. Mr. Robjohns is an esteemed audio technical expert and also probably my favorite writer in modern music/audio magazine publishing. (The guy cares equally about sound, engineering, and language, my three favorite things!)

Based on this, I'm just about ready to add a Clarett+ Octopre to my RME-based rig via ADAT. If I hadn't already gotten my grubby paws on my beloved RME, I'd strongly consider the Clarett+ 8Pre for my main hub. In the $1k-ish range, these things appear to be knocking it out of the park. (I also trust Focusrite to be around for while in terms of updates and support.)
Really good to see this post .... (2) Saffire Pro14(s) for over decade, recent Scarlett 18I8 3rd Gen addition .... all working well daily in Win11Pro /Reaper environs. Clarett awareness, but minimal vocal /instrument mic needs curently. This is timely point to review Clarett+ 8Pre thoroughly before miving away from trusted, reliable provider.

(edit) really need to stay with USB-C connectivity vs Thunderbolt ..... limits sources

Last edited:
Really good to see this post .... (2) Saffire Pro14(s) for over decade, recent Scarlett 18I8 3rd Gen addition .... all working well daily in Win11Pro /Reaper environs. Clarett awareness, but minimal vocal /instrument mic needs curently. This is timely point to review Clarett+ 8Pre thoroughly before miving away from trusted, reliable provider.
Focusrite is a pretty reliable name in this particular business, at this point, I think (and so is MOTU, for sure). My dad has a little current-gen Scarlett box that I use when I'm visiting him sometimes, and it's been fairly impressive. I'd have confidence in the Clarett line... If I end up going that route I'll report back.

I decided to go with the Volt 2. Based completely on the screen brightness. My local Guitar Center actually had an M4 sitting out (same screen), so I was able to see how it is in person. I'd have to constantly uncover and recover it at night when recording guitar to check levels.

Controlling screen brightness NEEDS to be an option on any piece of gear IMO. That one thing quite literally prevented me from getting the interface that (may) have had a slight edge in audio performance / quality.

Thanks all, especially @PaulieDC for taking photos.
Then the Volt 2 is your baby! And it's a bit louder, you won't be disappointed. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom