What's new

Online course for Composition & Film Scoring

Talal

Hey guys,

Just to give you guys a bit of background, I’ve been learning and working on music production for nearly the past 3 years but have just recently gained an interest in composing/orchestrating. I would like to compose Scores for movies and create music for media (films, games, TV). I am not interested in classical music.

I completed the Thinkspace courses on music theory, Harmony I and II and have a good grasp on those concepts. They also lightly touch on Counterpoint (canons and fugues) although I'm not too sure if I'll be using much counterpoint in my work as it is more modern (correct me if I'm wrong).

Even though I have definitely gained technical knowledge in theory and harmony, I feel like I lack confidence in composition/arranging or making an actual score. The courses I am considering now are the master the score courses (either pillars of composition or 20th century orchestral writing), orchestration recipes, maybe another thinkspace course. I don’t think I’m at a level to go with ScoreClub yet and I would prefer to learn in a DAW with midi now (Although I am alright with notation, not fast enough). I’m also proficient with DAWs and mixing (so won’t need courses on this for now).

Master the score courses are very expensive but I’m willing to bite the bullet if they are really worth it and would be suitable for me in my current stage. I also watch free Youtube videos and get the most I can, but I do think a structured course would help me and fill all the gaps. If you guys have any advice on which course would be best for me to take, I would really appreciate it. And I’m sorry for creating another thread even though there are others on this topic which I have read but just would like a bit more info. Thanks!

Master the score are great. Either Ryan's or Mattia's. Both will give you just what you want...and tbh...and a very fair price

best

ed

I bought this course literally an hour before you commented haha. Guess I did the right choice (Although I still plan on getting a Master the Score course in the future).
Hey Talal, How are you finding the course? Is it delivering/ covering what you had hoped it would? Like you I've completed the very same ThinkSpace courses and was considering this one also as the next step up for very similar reasons as you.
G

Hey Talal, How are you finding the course? Is it delivering/ covering what you had hoped it would? Like you I've completed the very same ThinkSpace courses and was considering this one also as the next step up for very similar reasons as you.
G
Hey, I still haven't started the course as I've been so busy but as soon as I do I'll let you know. I do think the combination of this course and master the score courses will fill most of my gaps and be just what I need. Have a look at both of their trailers and the master the score previews if you haven't already. They should give you you a good idea of the course.

I found Youtube videos to be very helpful, especially the ones where they show you how to transform a simple piano harmony and melody into a full blown orchestra.

Hey, I still haven't started the course as I've been so busy but as soon as I do I'll let you know. I do think the combination of this course and master the score courses will fill most of my gaps and be just what I need. Have a look at both of their trailers and the master the score previews if you haven't already. They should give you you a good idea of the course.

I found Youtube videos to be very helpful, especially the ones where they show you how to transform a simple piano harmony and melody into a full blown orchestra.
Thanks Talal, I've been looking at the MTS courses also and agree that a combination of both could be the perfect option right now. Appreciate the advice and recommendations.

Top Bottom