What's new

Noodling Around - Concise preview of UVI's Soul Drums

MattCreamerAudio

It's been a while since I did a review on Youtube, but I am diving back in. Here is a very concise look at what it is like to use UVI's new drum sample library Soul Drums. Showcase of the build in drum sequences, and a demonstration of manipulating the presets. Lots of interesting and usable sounds can be generated effortlessly by just messing around with the simply layering feature. I was completely caught off guard, and yes, blown away by the sound of some of the digital layers when added to the acoustic samples.

Getting my butt kicked by the algorithm these days, so if you are feeling generous, check it out!

Nice review... the load times just to audition drum sounds is a letdown, but I hear they are working on it. I own a lot of UVI products and they rarely let me down. Soul Drums at the sale price would be a good deal, particularly if you don't already have tons of other solutions. Something for new writers to think about - do you really want to conform your tune to an existing MIDI sequence... or do you want a unique performance that fits your composition, because you can spend an exorbitant amount of time going through tons of MIDI sequences when you could have created the perfect simple groove yourself. On the other hand... there are great ideas to be gleaned from sequences... and you can tweak them and add your own sounds... but it is a rabbit hole. ;)

Yeah, the load times are longer than usual for a UVI product, so I have no doubt it will be addressed. I personally never let a drum pattern go on tweaked. At the very least you can always match some accents to your bass line or riffs. But it is nice to have them as a starting point. If I am left to my own devices I usually always write the same thing >.< I need a little boost to get going in the right direction. Exactly like you put it, it's a great method for gleaning some inspiration.

I like what soul drums has going for it, great sound, sample layers etc.. but looking at sonic couture sun drums this evening and the built in sequencer plus bus v main routing options for individual outputs seems tempting. Sequencer like the one in their Drumulation module is a missed trick imo. Thanks for the video

Last edited:
I have a lot of UVI stuff and it's top notch. I opted for Sun Drums as well - I already had Moon Drums and I did get a discount - but I also wanted something a bit simpler and also with a sequencer. I really woudn't mind having both.:) I wish UVI would develop a realistic acoustic drum library that expounded on some of their best sequencing tricks found from Drum Designer and Asteroid. Maybe include the ability to load your own MIDI sequences stored in your own categories... and have a number of slots to recall patterns assigned to unused notes on your controller... Yeah - that's the ticket!

yea I use jamstix mainly to drive other kits and although I really like it, an all in one would be ideal. Soul drums does sound fantastic though but needs an update for loading times and saving presets and sequencer!

Top Bottom