What's new

Massachusetts tastes of cardboard

You gotta admit Nick that Coakley ran a lame campaign. Scott Brown ran a really good one. He had the best line I've ever heard, "It's not the Kennedy seat. It's the people of Massachusetts' seat". That line didn't even seem scripted. Seeing him speak I actually grew to like the guy.

But, Obama has some rising competition. I honestly see this guy coming up the ranks and going for the GOP nomination. Dems are really going to have to get over themselves now. The infighting and the progressives vs. the moderates just isn't going to work anymore. They either work together or they lose big. Dems had a chance for a year to make some real headway and now they've become the insider party paying dues to all the special interest fat cats.

I voted for Obama because he was the candidate the was least in the pockets of special interest. He needs to man up and start delivering now. Where's the tax cut for the middle class? When's he going to go line by line over the budget and cut unnecessary wasteful programs? When's he going to start working for mainstreet instead of wallstreet?

I like the guy but he's just letting everything run him right now. Most people don't vote for a party. They vote for good candidates they believe in. Just look at the growing number of independent voters. Of which, I'll probably being joining their ranks. I'm so pissed off at what Coakley was doing. She played the snobby liberal insider all chummy with just about ever special interest group imaginable. She's even on record saying that she would rather hobnob with the party leaders and the elite than go stumping on the trail shaking the average voters hand. Soon as I read that I was thinking that if I were in Mass., I wouldn't care what she stood for. I'd be voting against her as hard as I could.

She shouldn't have even been nominated.

Jose

Never mind the chocolate.

The chocolate thread was a sly reference to the Mass result. However the resulting chocolate debate was incredibly fulfilling especially the the bit about the Bong hits.

Does Mass taste of cardboard? You bet.

Is there a future for Mr President. Oh sure there is. Someone has to live in the White House.

Does any of this surprise you? I hope not.

You still think theres no labour equivalent in the US?

What effect will this result have on dem and rep senators now?

Most people don't vote for a party. They vote for good candidates they believe in. Just look at the growing number of independent voters.

An independent voter is someone who knows better than to vote conservative because he's not stupid enough, yet votes like an idiot some of the time for no apparent reason.

I've been a dem all my life. But, I'm just not buying either party's BS anymore.

Thats the sensible option no question. Obama may go down as the unlucky president based on having to follow Bush and picking up that tab. But I cant stand this "I voted for this or that all my life" BS either. Wouldnt it more more obvious to vote for what looks best at the time.

Jose is seeing the light..........
Welcome to the infiltration and wholesale purchasing of legisaltion.

I have so many friends here in Vegas that love to point out how " stupid " Congress and the Senate are, and our President too with all of these silly decisions based on poltitical correctness,etc.
These folks are not fumbling around. They are extremely organized and know EXACTLY what they are doing.
Most of the Berklee grads that I know who remain in Boston to teach and perform locally said the turnout was larger than normal but the new guy wasn't close to getting in. Also note this, no exit Polls...???
WTF is that....??
This was the big boys just making sure nothing changes.....
Maybe we should just bring some Chinese guy over from the Hunan Province and let him run for office and have some translators with him while he reads the Teleprompted Mandarin..
:lol:

Look who we suck up to.
I love Obama telling the King he really didn't mean that whole " change our dependancy on Foreign Oil campaign speech.... :mrgreen: "

I don't blame Obama. I really don't think most of the country does either. He's still very popular if you ask people if they like the guy.

But, these people get into Washington and they lose all sense of decency. I was really ticked off that on the day of the election the White House was already throwing Coakley under the buss. She hadn't even lost yet, the polls had just opened and they're releasing statements about how disappointed in her they were. C'mon.

Scott Brown is going to be no different. He's all a man of the people today. Tomorrow he'll be the Washington elite and he'll forget all about the people. Honestly the guy ran a good campaign but I don't think he has what it takes to be a decent Senator. He's a bit of an airhead really. A kind of go with the flow type of guy. I'm sure the Tea Party will dissect him after about 2 months once they find out what he's really like.

But, I'm really taken aback by the attitude and reaction of the dems in this election. This is what always happens when they get the majority. They should have the majority all the time. But, they get into power and they divide themselves into the most ridiculous party lines. The progressive base thinks they are so morally right. The blue dogs are chicken shit and the only few people that can actually think get so hammered by labor that they stop thinking.

Republicans are always united. They stay in power by being united. They have nothing to offer but at least they're united. And then they just walk back into power, fuck everything up.

The only sensible thing to do is to walk away from both of them. Hopefully some day we'll get somebody who's ethical enough to be worthy of leading people. I had high hopes for Obama but those are starting to fade. He's starting to look more and more like a Washington insider and less and less a man working in the people's interest.

So sad. Mankind just can't be trusted with power.

Jose

The bribes and cash are what is dividing the " parties. "
Those 400 dollar haircuts and seasside cottages are more important than what the commoners ask for.

How will this effect health reform?

Heath care reform is dead. It will have to be split up. It could be good. Insurance reform could pass. Public option can pass with reconciliation. Forcing people to have health care is imo dead.

But the senate bill is dead. The house bill is going nowhere. Dems couldn't get it together and they should just chalk up the last 6 months as a failure and hopefully learn the right lessons. Dems just need to get it together if they want to stay in power. And, they need to stop trying to cut 1000 back room deals and get back to basics.

If the election in Boston proved anything is that people don't want the same old shit any more. They elect anybody that isn't part of the same Washington crap no matter what party.

What I think we'll see in the future is a lot of people just serving 1 term. Obama started a wave of revolt. Now he's becoming one of them. The revolt is still happening and it's independents that are driving it.

Say what you want about them but I think any real change is going to happen with independents saying fuck you to the establishment.

Jose

Top Bottom