What's new

Looking for a Windows alternative of OSX Rogue Amoeba Loopback. Anyone used Gig Performer?

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Howdy,

So I've finally moved from OSX to Windows as I'm now using a PC for everything at the minute and I'm trying to find some software that matches what Rogue Amoeba's Loopback software does but for Win Pro 11. I found Loopback so useful for routing all audio signals internally and I loved that for using free software OBS to record videos with the audio from my DAW and microphone having no problem being captured.

I've looked at a few options for Windows but they all look like dog shit in comparison with exception to Gig Performer. I was wondering if anyone here has used Gig Performer? From my basic understanding of it (at this minute), its aimed mainly for live musicians or musicians playing live (in studio or on stage) whereby they can mix and match any VST software, outside of a DAW...

Which is what's led me down this path thinking it could be an excellent solution for what I am looking for.

https://gigperformer.com/

Jono

What exactly are you trying to do?

If it's broadcasting the daw audio in obs, I'm using a free addon named reastream https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/ .
You'll find YT tutorials on how to make it work.

If you need something more complex, there's a virtual mixer from VB-Audio in 3 tiers : voicemeeter, banana and potato.
Extremely powerful, takes a bit of learning and experimenting.

What exactly are you trying to do?
I am looking for a plugin that can do what Rogue Amoeba's Loopback can do. I want to be able to route any audio application from anywhere internally, into OBS.

Using Loopback, I could route the following into OBS without breaking a sweat...

DAW, UA Apollo Thunderbolt Output and DSP effects, Web Browser, Standalone VST Instruments (Kontakt as an example), Spotify, iTunes, Wwise, UE5, Unity, Steam (and many more).

Its why I'm asking about Gig Performer as it seems like it can do all of this via a node system.

Gig Performer is an incredible piece of software. It's made by musicians for musicians, which is why it's so intuitive and the features work exactly the way a live musician would need them. When I was playing 50 shows a year (before Covid), I used Gig Performer as a live host for virtual instruments for half of them.

In the meantime, it has become so feature-rich and extensive that it is also used by sound designers and FOHs. As you say, you can easily connect audio inputs, effects, MIDI inputs, MIDI effects, instruments, MIDI and audio outputs and the visual system means that even complex routings remain clear.

knobs.png

I don't know to what extent it can replace Loopback for you. It does not come with any virtual MIDI or audio drivers. Gig Performer relies on the existing MIDI and audio inputs. Since I use RME and TotalMix, the audio interface already provides me with the necessary signals, so this works great, but you are responsible for the basic routing yourself. I use LoopBe1 (creates virtual MIDI ports) to exchange MIDI data between Gig Performer and Studio One.

It's great that Gig Performer has its own programming language (GP Script), with which you can do MIDI processing, react to control changes and control all the important functions in Gig Performer.

So it's more a replacement of your DAW than a replacement for Loopback. To get an idea of whether the program is something for you, it's worth zapping through the videos on the YouTube channel. I was also invited here as a guest years ago (I showed how I used the MIDI Channel Constrainer in live shows).

Last edited:
Gig Performer is a really good program.

I've tried most of these Windows audio and MIDI routers, none of them are going to compare to tools for the MAC until MS decides to build something along the lines of CoreAudio. That said.

The VB-Audio tools can do quite a bit, can't swear it is a direct replacement, but you can set it up to route any input to any output, or in this case any source to OBS. The UI is a little klunky, but it is easy enough to use that I can overlook that (besides, the window is seldom open<G>)

Cantabile looks cool, but I could not get my head wrapped around it. There is a free version (which is what I used) so maybe take a look... then you can help me :)

I am intrigued by Inject, but I have a working, paid for, solution, and I'm lazy.

There were a couple others, but if I don't remember their names I probably was not all that impressed.

I've tried most of these Windows audio and MIDI routers, none of them are going to compare to tools for the MAC until MS decides to build something along the lines of CoreAudio. That said.
A solution is to use RME interface. The driver supports up to three interfaces (my use case 1 Raydat and 2 9652 via a 2*PCI to PCIe ). Works Well.
With total mix and the driver you can share what you want between ASIO and Windows WDM, without latency.

Top Bottom