What's new

Limiters

Can Waves L3 replace L1? i mean do same things but more.

The L1 is a full-spectrum limiter, the L3 is multiband. Those are useful for mastering things that have been turned into stereo already, among other applications, but for multitrack music mixes I personally have always preferred to handle bulging frequencies before they get to the final bus.

Without proclaiming my way the high way, I only use a limiter at the last stage to tweak the overall level - before that I don't turn it on.

EDIT: That's as distinct from a mix bus compressor (I like Cytomic The Glue), which I turn on earlier in the mix process. Point being, for me a limiter is a last-minute processor.

The common consensus would go L2 > L1 > L3.

The L2 is really great, in fact I had the hardware version a number of years ago. Lousy limiters sound sort of harsh, but the L2 is transparent.

I would never put a Waves limiter on the mix buss, but they can be useful on individual tracks. For transparent heavy limiting, DMG Limitless and iZotope Ozone 8 are fantastic, and for light limiting, Slate FG-X is great. These are tools that require a heavier learning curve to utilize to their fullest potential, though.

Having tried many, Pro L2 seems to be the most transparent. You can have a bit more gain reduction compared to other limiters without hearing actual artifacts. The "Modern" setting is fantastic.

... and I hardly ever mix without one on this position. :) (Might also be Vienna Suite's Limiter, though.)

That's right, I forgot I have that now with VE Pro 7. Will have to try it.

As I've posted before, the exciter is outstanding.

I really like Pro-L2 also, mainly on the master buss but every now and then I use it on a single instrument.

In fact I prefer to do all my monitoring with that plugin rather than watching my master level in REAPER. I always work with LUFS level now and have settled on -16 for all my material, which is mainly beat-less and ambient. If I do create a track with percussion then I up it to -14.

For the -16 stuff I try to iron out any peaks with automation first, and then there comes a point where Pro-L is there to catch the odd rogue and usually resonant peak.

cheers

andy :)

Top Bottom