What's new

Labs+ Beta Period

No matter how many times people make this ridiculous jump in their minds, it is patently false.

If you spend 400 purchasing things at full price, you'll own those licenses.

After 5 years paying 80 a month for this borderline useless subscription you'll own absolutely nothing.
I've always bought things. I've never used a subscription service. One big factor to consider (which to this point, I personally haven't considered) is how much are you still USING those libraries you bought 5 years ago? I've purchased a LOT of libraries over the years, and there are some I have not touched in ages. Effects plug-ins, too. At every point along the way, I've had my favorites. Maybe subscriptions would assist in doing some house cleaning.

Also to be considered... In five more years, AI might have taken over. Whatever happens, I do think we're in a period of some very rapid development. If you're actively going to continue to make music, it's doubtful that anything you buy today will be that useful to you five years from now.

Ok - quick n dirty video, shot 4 hours ago and edited quickly before I turn in for the night!!

Hope this helps to explain some of the questions.

Would love to see all active parameters get their own fader. Why does one have to go through multiple mouse clicks of the big knob to see what their settings are..? That seems really inefficient… There’s certainly space for it in the GUI!

Would love to see all active parameters get their own fader.
The new LABS GUI looks a bit sparse... but the one thing I've found myself missing is the global tuning adjustment, and the audio output meters (from the last version of LABS and the other Spitfire plugin players). It's not going to prevent me from using it, but could prevent me from doing the 3 semitone layering and transposition trick :)

Last edited:
Loved the video, I registered on the website, any idea of how long the roll out will be ? Would love to get my hands on some of this. It's the simple things (like originals) that are always the best.

I was a JV1080, Proteus, M1 & Sound Canvas guy in the 1990's/2000's Very nostalgic happy memories...

Thanks so much, really exciting project.

Interesting video. Not sure about that UI though. It's simple (like before) but needlessly complicated at the same time, again, like before. So much wasted space and clicking around. This is a product that you'll jump in and out way more frequently than something like BBCSO and jumping in while you're in deep the zone and being hit with neon colors and funky fonts is going to be jarring to say the least. Hopefully they'll tighten it up before September.

Just got an email as I was on the waitlist. Poked around on the website. I'm definitely not interested in another subscription service, but even then, it's not entirely clear, but the paid Lab$+ tier selections do not seem to be new libraries or recordings, I have a sneaking suspicion they are both Originals and "curated" selections from Spitfire Products recorded at Abbey Road and AIR, but with limited articulations and mic mixes. Going after the Musio market I figure? I imagine this might be ok for music producers who merely dabble in the occasional orchestral sound, and who would be willing to pay yet another monthly fee to have random access to sounds they may never use.

Regarding the rebrand of Labs, I'm usually one to embrace change and a fresh coat of paint, but the illustrations, while "cute," to me have a lot less overall mood and personality than the previous aesthetic which were kind of cut-out hand-made collage on grid paper – to me that visually spoke to the concept of Labs instruments in the first place, these kind of rough and scrappy lo-fi free instruments. The illustrations don't really do it for me and kinda feel tacky, IMHO.

Pass for me but for anyone interested in this, more power to you.

So, I'm a bit confused about all this. For those on the waitlist (like myself), once we get access, is this the full plugin and at this stage you can actually play for the subscription ? Or is that option not active yet ?

I.e, this is just a test/slow roll out, but it is fully functioning ?

Does anyone have a review of how they are getting along woth this, especially in regard to the new "subscription" Sounds

Thanks !

Top Bottom