What's new

Kontakt Updates (current version: 7.10.1)

And what do the paths in Native Access preferences say (top right corner, click the silhouette guy)?
Screenshots of that are attached. I keep my content on a separate drive from c: Drive. But no sign of anything, not even a .dll file for Kontakt anymore (just Kontakt 5 which I can still open)

Interesting to note that on the Kontakt 6 pic here doesn't show an Installation path option (just the menus "product description" & "changes") The others have that option including Komplete Kontrol. I normally see 3 menus to choose from on my other windows 10 PCs in NA as well. This is a Windows 7 laptop but have never had issues with Kontakt 6 on it. It only happened during this last update.

Attachments

• NA Path in Kontakt  Not showing.JPG
    NA Path in Kontakt Not showing.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 20
  • NA Path 1.JPG
    NA Path 1.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 20
@Yaron_NI, this is an important feature request. Not just in Native Access, but in every developer's product manager.

Amen to that. The frequency with which bugs occur in Kontakt updates lately, combined with NI support becoming more obfuscated is really starting to wear thin on me. I just want to use Kontakt and not have to worry about being in charge of a roll back myself if something breaks. That should be hard coded into NI's support model.

Every time I'm about to update Kontakt I have a small anxiety attack, and neurotically have to run and check an installer archive 1st, when in reality NI needs to make rolling back possible, and painless.

Speaking of which, keeping an install archive isn't an easy feat on Mac. At least not in any way I've been able to figure out. I literally have to open the self-destructing DMG in the brief time it's installing and hope to god I copy and paste the pkg file somewhere before the DMG file self-destructs. Half the time it just doesn't work and I can't get an archive of that version...

Waiting a week or more for support to send you one isn't an option when I rely on Kontakt to keeps the lights on and have a small fortune wrapped up in it.

Rant over... Just think NI needs to be more aware and accommodating to just how disruptive this can be... Considering there's someone from NI taking part in this thread just wanted to add my 2 cents...
Carry on...

Last edited:
- OS and version
- VEP version
- DAW and version
- Kontakt plugin type (AU/VST)
- Exact clear step by step one liners from the moment you launch VEP and DAW to the issue
- Do you experience any issues with Kontakt standalone or plugin outside VEP?

Windows 10 Latest Version
Cubase 10.5 Latest Version
VEPro 7 Latest Version
VST

VEPro Template loads with all instances disabled. In cubase I select the tracks and have set up CC125 to send an activate command to VEPro. If I activate just a single instance it tends to be fine, but if I select multiple tracks and send the activate command it crashes Kontakt inside VEPro. This does not happen with 6.2.2, only every version onwards.

Attachments

• crash.jpg
    crash.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 4
Total nightmare. Kontakt 6 is gone. No "kontakt.dll" to be found in the vst64 folder. Everything seems to be 32 bits. I want to go back.

Same issue here. I updated Kontakt to 6.4.0 yesterday. Was working tonight with an existing track that has Cinematic Studio Brass (CSB) a4 Horns on it and kept hearing notes hanging on and even sticking until a MIDI reset. Couldn't figure out what was going on until I remembered this thread. This is somewhat unusable, so I need to figure out how to go back to 6.3.

And Cinematic Studio Solo Strings has the same issue. Alex (owner, I think, of CS) was not aware of the issue. Tellingly he said he rarely updates straight away!

He did ask me to do a quick demo of the issue and film on phone so he can see/hear the issue but I have no speakers atm so if anyone has a minute to do so and post here I cam pass on whilst we wait (in)patiently for NI to give us the iso for 6.3.2!

Kirk Hunter Concert strings 3 faders/sliders are broken again. It took years of finger pointing to get this fixed, and now I fear it never will be. Works fine in Kontakt 5.

Total nightmare. Kontakt 6 is gone. No "kontakt.dll" to be found in the vst64 folder. Everything seems to be 32 bits. I want to go back.
Exact same thing here only I don't even have the 32 bit stuff. It completely vanished from my system and doesn't seem to want to install again every time I try to though Native Access even though it says "install successful" after each attempt.

I found a workaround that worked in my case. I had Kontakt dissapear completely after the update, no 32/64-bit or related files.

1. Start up Native Access
2. Go to preferences, file locations
3. Go to the folder of download location
4. Start install/update of Kontakt
5. As soon as it is done downloading and says 'Installing' : copy the installer from the download folder to elsewhere
5. Manually run the copied installer
6. Kontakt should be working again, with the files being installed to the designated folders.

I hope this will get fixed in the future, I find it pretty inexcusable for an installer to make a product dysfunctional without a proper fallback. For reproduction: I use multiple drives with install locations similar to what MillsMixx has shown earlier in the thread, which could be the cause for this.

And Cinematic Studio Solo Strings has the same issue. Alex (owner, I think, of CS) was not aware of the issue. Tellingly he said he rarely updates straight away!

He did ask me to do a quick demo of the issue and film on phone so he can see/hear the issue but I have no speakers atm so if anyone has a minute to do so and post here I cam pass on whilst we wait (in)patiently for NI to give us the iso for 6.3.2!
I did send them (Cinematic Studio) a short phone video tonight showing the issue that I saw. I found it mainly on sustain patches when moving the mod wheel. At some point, the releases of notes can randomly extend to 5-10 seconds or more, which sounds like they are hanging or even sound like double notes. It definitely happened right after the Kontakt 6.4.0 upgrade. The video is too large for here, but it did upload to CS support.

Gah....wish I would have seen this thread before I updated....I would have never touched this update. 3 of my projects are literally crashing.

Why are all my Native Access libs not showing up?
I'm also getting CPU spiking.
When I play a song, it skips...the cursor is no longer smooth.... and there is no sounds...

Edit: Also getting the hanging notes in CSS standalone Kontakt.

Last edited:
This is a strange issue, I've been trying to figure out what's going on here, as it seems that the update has certainly changed some MIDI behaviour. I checked out the list of additions for version 6.4 (https://www.native-instruments.com/...l-update-status-kontakt-6-current-6-4.336867/) and couldn't see anything concerning, but I'm not as fluent in KSP as others around here.

Based on what I've seen in Ron's video, it appears that some notes are taking a long time to fade out after releasing the key. It's important to distinguish this from a "hung note" - these are not hung notes, they're just notes that are taking way too long to fade out; it sounds as though the release setting has been set to maximum, even though it hasn't.

The release setting is actually tethered to CC81, so whenever you're adjusting the release setting, it is sending CC81 messages that modulate a release dial inside the patch. It's a fairly simple setup - setting release to maximum causes a CC81 message with a value of 127 to be sent, while the minimum setting of course sends a CC81 value of 0. It's also worth noting that CC80 controls attack, so it would be interesting to hear from any affected users as to whether or not they can hear the attack of the notes being similarly affected. Different controller numbers are used for each articulation too, so it would also be helpful to know if any other articulations (eg tremolo, trills etc) exhibit the same behaviour.

For some notes to sound as though the release setting has been set to maximum, it's possible that it's being caused by an erroneous CC81 message with a value of 127 being sent from somewhere, for some reason. The fact that it only occurs for some notes and not others is also quite strange. So I guess my question for NI is: can you think of any function that has been added to version 6.4 that could potentially cause a CC81 @127 value to be sent? Of course it could also be totally unrelated to CC behaviour altogether, but this seems to be a logical place to work back from.

Lastly, to anyone experiencing this issue, I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I'm entering the late stages of programming and tweaking for CSW now, so hopefully with NI's help, we can get this all sorted and I can get back to the task at hand! :)

@8Dio Productions @Troels Folmann

The Kontakt 6.4.0. update absolutely hates Silka. I disabled all the Silka tracks and my song works.

I would love it if someone else with Silka could confirm this. You'll notice that the CPU is spiking to 100% in the Kontakt GUI and cause your song to be mute.

Wow.. Looks like NI know how to really fix things with their updates. ;)

I was about to update Kontakt to 6.4 earlier today, but got busy, so I'm glad I didn't update it.

Hopefully NI will help sort these issues, and get Kontakt 6 back on track.

I also hope Alex W. can get back to working on finalizing the programming/tweaking CSW, so it can be finally released soon :)

I've just updated to 6.4 and am getting the issue with sticking sustain notes with Spitfire Studio Strings (core), so it's probably not at all exclusive to Cinematic Studio Series libraries. I hope this will get fixed soon (or NI will provide a sensible way to roll back to the previous version), but more generally I've been suspicious for a while about the sheer frequency at which Kontakt 6 is getting updates, suggesting that the updates are not necessarily tested thoroughly before rolling them out. Something like this was sure to happen sooner or later

Top Bottom