What's new

The Fiddle!

Thanks for the style suggestions and links! I don't see any reason why The Fiddle couldn't do a reasonable job at these styles. The Celtic example uses those quick trills (not really trills, but that's what we call them in the GUI), which are included in the articulations. The jazz example as well. I'll give it a shot, but probably not until next week.
-TC

Wow, congrats on a wonderful instrument! I can't believe it - I've spent my kidneys and mortgage on solo string libraries - and then such a fantastic fiddle for such a fair price comes along. Impressive!

Honestly: if you find the time, please do a cello and / or other strings. I am sure they will sell like hot cakes - your approach works very well. I've made the same experience with other libs of you, which of course can not compete in certain regards with way more expensive and bigger (in terms of GBs) libs with all the bells and whistles, but are just absolutely spot on sonically and a joy to use. Compliments!

Hi Frank,

I did use CC11 in the Amazing Grace demo, although I added it in another pass since my left hand was using the Harmony key switch when playing the part.

There are 3 dynamic layers in the sustains, and they are accessed through key velocity. CC11 (you can choose CC1 or another controller if you like) controls volume, but does not cross-fade through the dynamic layers.
-TC
Hi Tracy, thanks for the reply. I was wondering why you did not choose CC1 to crossfade between dynamic layers (which I personally would prefer and what most string libraries do). In your libraries you can select articulations (e.g. grace notes) via key velocity with three ranges of low, mid and high. I am wondering, how this interferes with selecting dynamic layers also via key velocity. I assume you would have to choose a very low and a very high velocity to select articulations other than sustain (these other articulations have no dynamic layers anyway). This would leave you a mid range that would cover all three dynamic layers of the sustains. Would this work? Can one choose the key velocity at which the dynamic layers switch? Best, Frank

Amazing how the right sounds allow such predictable simplicity to captivate the listener.

Im a prog/jazz/fusion buff, but never tire from old Country & Texas Swing tunes and those traditional intervals/intros.

I can’t explain why I am still fascinated with George Jones/Conway Twitty type tunes with Pedal Steel and Fiddles. Hello Darlin’ by Twitty even incorporated a Pianet M EPiano.

These guys had the worst hairdo’s too, but could stand there and strum on an Acoustic Guitar (buried in the mix) but the beautiful tones of the Pedal Steel and Fiddles just captivated me.

This instrument captivates me.
Thanks Again

This is a really fun program to use ....Make's a fiddle player out of even me !!.....Be aware , FastSpring ( who controls payments) pulls a fast one , and charges sales tax now on this product .....even if your state is exempt from taxing digital downloads ....Good thing it's not an expensive program ...

FastSpring ( who controls payments) pulls a fast one , and charges sales tax now on this product .....even if your state is exempt from taxing digital downloads
<off topic>Thanks for the heads up. eBay does the same thing. Frosts me no end, but I don't have any idea how to get started doing anything about it.</off topic>

Try and get any answers from FastSpring and they give you an automated answer to show you the tax charged in your area ....No humans to talk to .....They SUCK !!....This can't be legal !!....

Digital Downloads are exempt in NY ...You can't even talk to FastSpring ......If I had a company , I surely wouldn't hire FastSpring to handle my business.....I'll remember the name for sure !!

Try and get any answers from FastSpring and they give you an automated answer to show you the tax charged in your area ....No humans to talk to .....They SUCK !!....This can't be legal !!....

Digital Downloads are exempt in NY ...You can't even talk to FastSpring ......If I had a company , I surely wouldn't hire FastSpring to handle my business.....I'll remember the name for sure !!
I would really rather not discuss this here. We have already talked via email. Thanks.

Impressed with very strong, positive comment thus far ! Does The Fiddle offer a single fiddle instrument throughout, as well as single player recorded for all genres ?
How can I, as pianist/keyboardist, produce realistic results in different genres ?

Thanks for the style suggestions and links! I don't see any reason why The Fiddle couldn't do a reasonable job at these styles. The Celtic example uses those quick trills (not really trills, but that's what we call them in the GUI), which are included in the articulations. The jazz example as well. I'll give it a shot, but probably not until next week.
-TC
Yes the Celtic ornaments (called "crans" traditionally) is like a tiny grace note both before and after the main note. Could almost be a triplet form except it's performed in such a burst of speed it's outside normal meter.

Well, I have to admit this was fun. The track took a couple of hours, but this was with the default settings.

Actually not a bad rendition, quite nice tone. The ornaments are a bit suspect, sounding more like a single soft grace note than the usual snappy pair... also crans are an opportunity to really dig in and get some crunchy bow sound, so you get this delicious machine gun burst of almost percussive ornamentation.

But, it sounds good and most people probably would think those are just individual idiosyncrasies of the performer.

Impressed with very strong, positive comment thus far ! Does The Fiddle offer a single fiddle instrument throughout, as well as single player recorded for all genres ?
How can I, as pianist/keyboardist, produce realistic results in different genres ?
The Fiddle is a single playable instrument. There are no pre-recorded phrases, if that is what you are asking. There are key switched articulations to help make realistic performances, but the playing is all you.

As far as producing realistic results, I find that you just need to immerse yourself in the style you're looking to recreate. Youtube is your friend. I found sheet music for "Pigeon on the Gate", and then listened and watched some examples. And it doesn't hurt to slow the tempo WAY down and play one phrase at a time!

I've mentioned this before, but I find it helps to visualize the player in your mind while you play the parts. But I'm not normal.

-TC

Last edited:
Actually not a bad rendition, quite nice tone. The ornaments are a bit suspect, sounding more like a single soft grace note than the usual snappy pair... also crans are an opportunity to really dig in and get some crunchy bow sound, so you get this delicious machine gun burst of almost percussive ornamentation.

But, it sounds good and most people probably would think those are just individual idiosyncrasies of the performer.
Thank-you, Bman70. Yes, the speed of the piece pushes the limits of the crans (thank-you for the name of the ornament). I think there may be a way to improve that, so I'll work on it.
-TC

The Fiddle is a single playable instrument. There are no pre-recorded phrases, if that is what you are asking. There are key switched articulations to help make realistic performances, but the playing is all you.

As far as producing realistic results, I find that you just need to immerse yourself in the style you're looking to recreate. Youtube is your friend. I found sheet music for "Pigeon on the Gate", and then listened and watched some examples. And it doesn't hurt to slow the tempo WAY down and play one phrase at a time!

I've mentioned this before, but I find it helps to visualize to player in your mind while you play the parts. But I'm not normal.

-TC
Thanks for relevant comment !! Congrats on such enthusiastic response to The Fiddle !!

Visualize my fav _ Yuja Wang __ sometimes.
Not sure it helps performance, but usually feel better ! 😊

Top Bottom