What's new

Cubase/VEPro Stem Export Workflow Question

EmmCeeSq

Hi there!

I often have to export stems either for clients, or for my mixing engineer. I'm using Cubase and VEPro (I have a networked PC hosting all my orchestral samples).

I've set up my cubase template so each MIDI track (which sends to VEP) has a corresponding Audio track. However, that then means an awful lot of manual ticking of boxes when I want to export everything. If I have instrument tracks hosted directly in Cubase (and I do have some), it's easy to simply use the PLE to 'select tracks with data', then 'sync selection to channel/track selection' in the Audio export dialogue.

But since those audio tracks (returning the signal from the VEP instance) don't have any data in them, then that method doesn't work.

Scratching my head a little with this one, and wondered if anyone was in the same boat and had a better workflow solution.

Thanks in advance - happy to clarify if any of the above isn't clear.

1704704309582.png

Effective usage of "Multiple" parameter in conjuction with holding mouse button at the time of selection will make it easier.

I'm not sure I quite grasp the issue. Using multiple channels in the tab at the top, doesn't it work just selecting all the groups you use in the project?

You could have audio tracks for each of your vepro returns routed via dedicated busses - direct out to your stems and direct out to these audio tracks which in turn are also routed to your stems. That way you can do a reatime mixdown of your returns. Cubase has a 256 voice limit on output busses, but if your return count exceed that, you can do it in sets.

That’s how I do it anyway.

Best, MB

Edit: you mixdown all tracks at the same time, with or without signal, and then you can trim silence on the lot afterwards.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I quite grasp the issue. Using multiple channels in the tab at the top, doesn't it work just selecting all the groups you use in the project?
That's fine if you're just exporting groups Guy, my problem is if I need individual tracks (which I often do, in order to send to my mix engineer for example).

You could have audio tracks for each of your vepro returns routed via dedicated busses - direct out to your stems and direct out to these audio tracks which in turn are also routed to your stems. That way you can do a reatime mixdown of your returns. Cubase has a 256 voice limit on output busses, but if your return count exceed that, you can do it in sets.

That’s how I do it anyway.

Best, MB

Edit: you mixdown all tracks at the same time, with or without signal, and then you can trim silence on the lot afterwards.
Good tips and thanks!

Top Bottom